Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Malvinas/Falklands clash of special forces patrol - Brink of Battle Rules  (Read 1646 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
For a while now I've been playing Brink of Battle, a fantastic set of skirmish rules that allows you to play from ancients to moderns.
I have always been skeptical about rules that promise to cover multi periods because usually they lack depth but these rules certainly delivers. This game was the first game I did in the modern period and the one I had my doubts, since for ancients the rules are really top of the line, but I can say that it worked great for modern too and that I had all the traits and skills I needed to represent the opposing special forces.

The scenario is based on an actual encounter between special forces during the falklands war. Argentine commandos had identified a position that we used often by British paratroopers to observe the Argentine defenses and set up an ambush. In the  encounter the commandos overwhelmed the paratroopers who had to pull back leaving equipment behind that was captured.

I have adapted the scenario so that it works as two patrols doing recon engaging each other and have "repositioned" a nearby farm that was not where the action took place but by including it I can get a more interesting table.

The action happens at night, in the pictures you will see models with blue tokens next to them. These models are moving quietly taking advantage of the dark not to be observed. Each side has one model with night vision equipment ( which was roughly the proportion available during the conflict ), the paratroopers have assigned it to their bren gun while the commandos have given it to their sniper. The exception to this is that models within 3" from the farm building are illuminated by the lights inside, so no sneaky movement there, and also no sneaky movement in the areas with sheep, as they get disturbed and the noise give you away.

The paratroopers are 8 veteran soldiers while the Argentines only have 6 commandos ( veteran ) and have reinforced them with 3 regular marines ( these are trained, not veteran ), so the Brits have one model less but slightly better quality. Bear in mind that these are not the standard Argentine conscripts defending Goose Green, these are elements of the 601-602 commandos that had multiple clashed with British troops during the conflict. ( If you can read Spanish I recommend Comandos en Accion , available in electronic form through Amazon ).

The river has a ford and a bridge, it can also be crossed elsewhere just as difficult ground, BUT a model crossing the river elsewhere will count as a casualty for combat resolution. The model will be able to keep fighting through the engagment but will count as a casualty because it will have to be evacuated after the action or die of hypothermia due to the harsh weather conditions.

We played the game twice, back to back. Both times the Argentines won ( as in the historical outcome, but that is just coincidence as the game is even in force balance and conditions ). When I played the Argentines I managed to win by using very effectively one of my commandos with the infiltrator ability and submachinegun that coordinating his actions with support from the FAP gunner succeeded in turning the British flank.

When I played Brits I failed miserably at positioning my Bren gunner resulting on my left flank not being correctly defended and my opponent did a masterful maneuver supporting his attack with a good firebase on top of a rocky outcrop, so I can only blame myself for the defeat due to his superior tactics :) !!!

Here are some pcitrues

First game:

My infiltrator does an ambush attack and starts turning the flank

After taking on the fist trooper he goes back to attack the other guy under fire from a marine with a FAP in the background

here you can see how the second paratrooper has had to leave the cover of his rocky outcrop and move past the fence due to the fire from the FAP and will soon be attacked again by the commando with the submachinegun

The Brits finally pull back, the flank has been turned and now the bren gunner is pinned and the superior firepower forces them to pull back !

We had a blast playing this game. I can honestly recommend Brink of Battle ( http://www.brinkofbattle.com/ ), it is a great set of rules. It has a bit of a learing curve and you have to put a bit of work creating your forces but the effort pays off.

By now I have played, dark ages, samurai fantasy ( clan wars setting), wargods of aegyptus setting, napoleonics, and now moderns !!!

hope you enjoyed..

cheers
Francisco
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:45:22 PM by seldon »

Online Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Malvinas/Falklands clash of special forces patrol - Brink of Battle Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
Interesting action.
How many figures per side do you think the rules would work for?
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
I would say 7 to 15 figures per side roughly is a good number... If you do 4 players maybe each player can handle as much.

Elite forces can only have up to 10 models but they can all be veterans, with better stats and more traits which makes them more difficult to use cause you have to be very aware of how to use the traits effectively.

Sometimes we do more standard games where many models are similar in profile, like profiles in blood bowl teams :)

This one was very extreme, each guy was very different having optimal traits for particular roles. Although similar quality my paratroopers were slightly better shots than my commandos, my Argentine commandos were a bit more stealthy or aggressive. The paratroopers had a 2iC that could take over if the commander fell, and they had a hardened warrior carrying the bren gun, the Argentine marines were pretty standard with no particular traits, just rank and file..

So the more complex you make the forces the more you want to limit the models so that you can pay attention to all those effects :)

here examples of fantasy forces
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76241.msg934323#msg934323

and here a game with them
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76436.0

Online Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:15:27 AM »
I went and looked at your fantasy post.
Looks very interesting.
Hope so see more battle reports in different periods.

Offline phalanx

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:08:36 AM »
Congrats Seldon, Very nice table and minis. I hope to play these scenario and others when you will be back in Buenos Aires.