Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Resin starter kit advice needed  (Read 2277 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Resin starter kit advice needed
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »
I've been meaning to do a little bit of mould making and resin casting for a while now, just for bits and pieces and homemade bases and the like. I've read a few things and have a rough idea of what I'm likely to need but I was wondering whether someone who does this kind of thing regularly has any sage advice or suggestions. I was wondering about getting a pre-made starter kit but maybe I should just buy the exact things I need separately? Any 'must have' equipment lists?

Also I was wondering where the best place in the UK might be to source all this stuff? I know of Tiranti's as a one stop shop but I've heard that you can get cheaper elsewhere.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
Re: Resin starter kit advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
That is a massive wide battlefield you want to enter man :-)

Casting isn`t so hard it looks in first place, but to get really good results is the Art to master.

I would recommend Products from smooth-on. Take a silikon with a long curetime that gives you time to bring out the bubbles. The smooth cast 300 series is for startup really good! here the same try to get one with more then 20 min curetime to get out the bubbles.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
You only need the following: gloves, plastic cups, mixing sticks, resin (A+B), easy demoulding spray (Trenn spray) and silicone! I have managed to get a good mould at my second attempt and haven't messed up any moulds since with the exception of some small airbubbles. Good luck and keep us updated! I have also attached some pictures of my own attempts.

Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »
Starter kits I've seen tend to use fast-curing resin, on the theory that user will just be wanting to bang out a few copies of something in an evening. If you're a beginner actually looking to learn though, IMO you want to use a slow curing resin, as that will be way more forgiving when you're still learning how to pour, how to manage air bubbles, how to position & sprue parts while making the mold, etc.

Don't bother with actual made-for-purpose mold releases unless you're looking to do a manufacturing level number of castings from a single mold. Just talc the inside of the mold before each pour. This will break the surface tension of the liquid resin, helping it to better flow into details without catching air bubbles, and will act as a mold release in its own right. There are actual mold release powders, but you don't need to spring for them unless you're doing professional production-level casting.

I'm not really a fan of spray releases. Their main plus is that they can replenish some of the oils in the rubber that get destroyed by the resin chemistry over the course of casting, thus extending the total life of the mold. However they don't get into crevices as easily as powders, can impart texture to the resin surface if not applied properly, and don't have the flow-aiding benefit of powders. If your priority is getting the most castings possible out of a mold regardless of quality, then use spray, but if your priority is consistent casting quality over the life of the mold, use a powder.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  :)

Offline Shieldwolf Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
That is a massive wide battlefield you want to enter man :-)

Casting isn`t so hard it looks in first place, but to get really good results is the Art to master.

+1

Anyone can cast, but to be good at it you must practice a lot, change a lot of the things you initially started with and (inevitably) submit money, effort and time  8)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »
Welcome to the madness.  First a couple of things that might help both the learning curve and the cost. 

Hobbycraft carries an inexpensive 10/1 silicone for about 20.00 (uk). 
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/trylon-silicone-rubber-250-gram/573572-1000
It is not much but it will help you get over the learning curve associated with mould making.  Nice part is no ordering.  It costs the same as a larger container online but there is no shipping and you most likely have a shop nearby. 

Next is the online portion.  It sounds like you have done it already but here is another useful link if you have not tried it yet.
http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

Big thing to remember is silicone can and will go into every crevasse or hole.  Be sure to seal up your masters/mould box/masters to mould box.  Silicone is also sticky as hell and will embed in almost any fabric so be sure to cast in a room with tile floors (kitchen works best) and have plenty of paper towels handy.  if it gets on tile either wipe it up or wait and peal it off.  Do not cast on glass.  Silicone as the name implies has silica in it.  That is what glass is made from.  It sticks to its self. 

On to pouring your mould. First mix the silicone to the manufactures recommendations.  Sounds silly but many times they give you more or less of parts a or b and it will change the setting up time.  Once mixed, mix again.  It needs it.  After the silicone is completely mixed use a disposable brush to paint/stab silicone all over your master so it gets into every crack and crevice.  I use these. 

Cheap and disposable.  This will train the silicone into all the cracks prior to pouring and lessens your chance for air bubbles.  When you pour be sure to start the stream in one corner, raise the mixture up and train it into a very thin stream.  This will pop bubbles generated while mixing and allow the silicone to fill the mould naturally.  After the pour leave the mould for the recommended amount of time.  Then wait some more just to be sure.  I usually pour before bed and wait until after dinner the next night to make sure that the silicone is completely set up. 

My suggestions.  I hope they help. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com