Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Questions about the FIW  (Read 12893 times)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Questions about the FIW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »
Nice. I expect to see a rule for the use of wupanasse in Among the War parties ASAP Pete!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
Actually on the frontier, it was called Wuppanasse from the Delaware, and was preserved by drying whoopass on racks, grinding it up and mixing it with cornmeal before baking into cakes.  :D  ;D

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Wuppanasse/Whoopass? I have never come across it before.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Wuppanasse/Whoopass? I have never come across it before.

We're making incredibly opaque and possibly unfunny jokes involving an idiom, the history of preserved foods, and Native American phonetic spellings. This is possibly the only time in the world this confluence of events has occurred.

To "Open a Can of Whoopass" is to whoop someone's ass, i.e. to apply a beating, a beatdown, to fight fisticuffs without quarter, etc. I hope the rest of the "humor" of our jokes can be discerned from here.

Lead Adventures, where every post is a cultural experience.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »

We're making incredibly opaque and possibly unfunny jokes involving an idiom, the history of preserved foods, and Native American phonetic spellings. This is possibly the only time in the world this confluence of events has occurred.

To "Open a Can of Whoopass" is to whoop someone's ass, i.e. to apply a beating, a beatdown, to fight fisticuffs without quarter, etc. I hope the rest of the "humor" of our jokes can be discerned from here.

Lead Adventures, where every post is a cultural experience.

Oh I see now, thanks for explaining . Now where,s the embarasssed emoticon...

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »
Actually on the frontier, it was called Wuppanasse from the Delaware, and was preserved by drying whoopass on racks, grinding it up and mixing it with cornmeal before baking into cakes.  :D  ;D

You don't know your history. (the "you moron" is both implied and silent)

Instead of playing with toy soldiers, immediately consult "Pedantry in Old Ohio" by Dr. A. Nal, Fellow T.W.A &T. and Prof. I. R. Eeelineedagudride-Badly, P.R.I.C.  (some other Fellow). You will note that there is a footnote in the apocrypha to the 17th Edition (typically found just to the left of the jamstain which has been faithfully reproduced from the 3rd Edition onwards) which quite clearly states that:

Wuppanasse (from the Delaware) was preserved by drying whoopass on racks, grinding it up and mixing it with cornmeal before baking into cakes. These cakes, of course (the "you moron" is both implied and silent) became known as "pemmi-can" and when not eaten, were frequently used in place of tomahawks or some other class of hurty thing, hence the expression to "open up a can of Wuppanasse".

Enjoying games involving toy soldiers without having an exhaustively-researched basis in history? Bah. What's the world coming to?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:21:44 PM by Gallowglass »
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »
Well don't blame me. I only ever read the Ospreys*.

In all seriousness. I stand in awe, with my scalp in hand, it having been been removed from my head with a pemmi-can.

* Vanguard No. 183. Trail Food of the Eastern Woodland Native Americans (II) - Foods that Might Contain Meat But Not Squash or Beans

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:40 PM »

In all seriousness. I stand in awe, with my scalp in hand, it having been been removed from my head with a pemmi-can.

As indeed you should!!!

Now, don't ever let me catch you even comtemplating enjoying yourself without first burning your DVD of "Last of the Mohicans", critiquing at least 47 different (and contradicting) primary sources on a 250 year old conflict, casting aspersions on other people's fun and boring the arse off complete strangers by repeatedly proclaiming to d'Interwebnet that you're "simulating history", or I'll come round your house and jump up and down on all your toys.

I HAVE NO LIFE, BUT I'LL GET ONE IF I SHOUT LOUDLY AT ONLINE PERSONAS ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:11 PM »
Well if you were applying to be on the board of HMGS-E you could have just said so... lol

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »
Well if you were applying to be on the board of HMGS-E you could have just said so... lol

Busted.  ::)

Major A. Noyance
Ex-Wrong Period Sandals Battalion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:01:49 PM by Gallowglass »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 09:22:18 AM »
Ok I am totaly confused now lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »

And I'm off to the company christmas lunch in a minute. Involves Schnapps, christmas strong beer, and herings on black bread.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »

And I'm off to the company christmas lunch in a minute. Involves Schnapps, christmas strong beer, and herings on black bread.

Sounds wonderful, except the herings on Black Bread....  ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »

Oh, I don't know. I used to love pickled herring ["Bismark Herring", IIRC] and Schwarzbrot separately. I never thought to combine them, though  ;D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »

I actually have Riga Sprats on Estonian black bread 8)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »
A bunch of stuff that is very funny, but also scarily close to the truth

I doff my (period correct, of course) chapeau to you, sir. Sic semper pedants!