Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant Review  (Read 15779 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Dragon Rampant Review
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
Great review!

I picked up my copy at work, (we've sold out of them already so glad I had one kept back!) and had a chance to have a gander through it. Very nice ruleset, and really looking forward to getting a few war bands on the table!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
Great review! There's still one question I'm dying to find an answer to. Has there been any addition or alteration to the Leader Skills? I mean that table you rolled on to determine a random skill for your leader before each game of Lion Rampant.
Very curious to this myself.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
Very curious to this myself.

I don't have the book with me but if i don't misstanke My self you in Dragon Rampant roll 3d6 to determin your leader skill. So you got some more options to get.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »
I don't have the book with me but if i don't misstanke My self you in Dragon Rampant roll 3d6 to determin your leader skill. So you got some more options to get.

Yep, that's right. 3d6, so there's now 16 traits.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »
Pleased that my copy of Dragon Rampant has arrived from Books Etc, £6.32 post free.

Offline nullBolt

• Bookworm
    • nullBolt
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
This looks excellent.

Pleased that my copy of Dragon Rampant has arrived from Books Etc, £6.32 post free.

Just grabbed it myself.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
might have to do with me being located in germany and using the wrong Amazon :'( :?
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »
I'd never heard of Books Etc before. Just gone in got Dragon Rampant and Lion Rampant for £13, free delivery! Thank you very much, that one's gone in the Favourites file.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
Eagerly anticipating.  I have a copy on reserve at the local game store.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline DCallan

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I will wait patiently to purchase Dragon Rampant from my local FLGS.  Time to dust off my GW Lord of the Rings miniatures.

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
That's it. My resistance has been overcome. I just ordered a copy from Book Depository.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 08:46:55 PM »
I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere before, but could somebody give me some insight how the reduced unit size mechanic works. If you field a unit of 3 trolls instead of 12 men, do you simply keep keep some dice marking how many man would have been removed and play like they are fighting like that number of men? (taking away a troll for every 4 men killed I guess) or is there some more complicated mechanic, do these bigger creatures keep fighting at full strength until removed and is there some associated point cost?

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere before, but could somebody give me some insight how the reduced unit size mechanic works. If you field a unit of 3 trolls instead of 12 men, do you simply keep keep some dice marking how many man would have been removed and play like they are fighting like that number of men? (taking away a troll for every 4 men killed I guess)...
Yep, exactly this.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
The Dice Bag Lady/Bad Squiddo Games already has plenty of Dragon Rampant books in stock if you want them now!

Turn up at Firestorm Games in Cardiff and she might even give you a demo game, you never know! She works about ten yards from a plethora of gaming table and probably has a couple of armies to hand.

http://thedicebaglady.net/rules/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:31:59 PM by Cubs »

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »
My gnomes are in it too! :D

Excuse the mass of face, took the photos for the Facebook page and for some crazy reason it reaches more people with my bloody face in it! Last time I tried telling people I had the book in (before pretty much anybody else!) only about 20 people saw...frustrating! Don't want to be a big spammer but also.. "look I have it!"

I'm dubious of mass discounters - because, well obviously. I am a retailer that sells at RRP - but selling it at less than I (or any other friendly local or online gaming store) buy it for, and THEN free postage, is insane. It's not always about price, remember to support small businesses in the hobby. I had a weird time with Lion Rampant as the review I put on my website went crazy with hits, and the sales were teeny, as everyone was reading the review I'd stayed up all night writing (and photoshopping silly images) replying "amazing, I'll get that!" and leaving my site to go to pay the mass discounters/Amazon! *waves fist comically* Luckily, I've already sold more Dragon Rampant than Lion, so hopefully the tide is turning (I noticed a tide turn after North Star Nick posted something similar regarding Frostgrave)

Didn't mean to detract, and not ranting, just thought I'd point it out!

Cheers Amigos!

(Also, I had a cheeky game a while back as Dan had given me it on PDF, Ralph wrote it up here - more sheeps! It's a bit rules vague on there as we weren't allowed to talk about it at the time http://ralphslittleworld.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/dragon-rampant-at-firestorm-games.html )