Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are we addicted to our hobby?  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: Are we addicted to our hobby?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 06:02:58 AM »
@ Scurv
wow, now I feel somewhat sorry for that said minis.  :?
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Well, that's it.....I'm going to plan a Viking funeral for myself. I'm going to get a big boat and put me and all my 'stuff' in it, set it out to sea (or high street. Depending on floods here in Britain!) and have my wife shoot fire arrows at it. It's all going up in flames with me! ;)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
Well, that's it.....I'm going to plan a Viking funeral for myself. I'm going to get a big boat and put me and all my 'stuff' in it, set it out to sea....

Better hope the lead mountain doesn't sink the boat before the flaming arrows reach it  ;)

A great thread and Bezzo's "letting it go would be the end of a dream" nails a good part of the answer to why I hang onto stuff but with the exception of a few spur of the moment purchases most of my (relatively small) mountain was bought for projects that invariably saw me buying books to research the history of whatever I was planning...I can fit the figures I've amassed into a couple of storage crates...the books,paints,modelling tools however...

I have come to realise the stuff that I will let go of was bought in the early years of Internet  when I would go to a show to buy because I didn't own a computer and my few favourite model stores were closing down...the 'net has allowed me to become more selective...and I'm glad I hung onto all that stuff as I now am steadfastedly getting my brush onto figures I bought...cough...not all that recently...so the dream hasn't died...it was alive in my shed and lurking on the shelves

Addicted ?...no....constantly inspired...absolutely  :)
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »
Basically, plan ahead and you won't get caught up in the "gotta have it" syndrome.

I'm concentrating on Hastings for this year (Salute 2016), with small intermittent projects and I've already started collecting the mini's I'll need to to Ravenna next year (Salute 2017).

By setting these parameters it's easier not to go bonkers and start splashing out all over the place- I've been there and I'm not going back! :)

Darrell.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
I don't lie, cheat or steal to get minis.

:-* The one's I did all three to glean are my favourite figures!!!  :-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 03:12:11 PM »
I don't lie cheat or steal to get minis. Most addicts I have known do all three and worse to to get their fix.

A hobby is what it is, no more no less.

The inability to sell your junk off is called hoarding and as long as it is not TV show worthy then no worries. When you die other people will ditch it for you for fun and profit.

I do have this theory that some minis have been circling the globe for years being traded from one person to another who never gets around to doing something with them and then sells it on again. Rinse and repeat until heat death of the universe.

Indeed ... until the breaking of the world. ;-)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
That Viking funeral sounds lovely.
Anyone know where I could find a relatively cheap second hand cruise ship? lol
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done