Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:53:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 10 - General Discussion (Round 11 started)  (Read 62082 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 10 - General Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
I thought of something and sure enough someone makes them:
https://grekwoodminiatures.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/28mm-hospital-beds-now-for-sale/

Wouldn't they count as "casualties"?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
Hope to be in for this years LPL.  Now to start rummaging through boxes to see what I've got that I can paint for the bonus rounds.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »
Wouldn't they count as "casualties"?

They're all hypochondriacs!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
Do animals that are sitting or lying down count? I'm thinking of camels and the like. I'd instinctively assume that a sitting camel would count, but then again that might raise issues with animals like crocodiles/alligators which are always essentially "lying down" (or swimming).

Yes, sitting or lying animals count, too.

And I'm not really expecting much entries with five crocodils :) But for the record and for the clarity's sake, they wouldn't count.

Seeing as they haven't been mentioned, would I be right in assuming that crouching and "crouch-walking" (humanoid) figures don't count? If so, where does that leave figures sitting on their haunches? It's termed as a form of "sitting" but it's really more of a form of crouching as only the feet are touching the ground or any other surface. I know I have several figures sitting on their haunches in my collection.

Models sitting on their haunches are okay. Not crouch-walking. No walking is allowed.

My first thought was wagon drivers.
But it would be, wouldn't it?
 ;)

incl. five wagons we would be fine :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 12:03:35 AM »
Thanks Prof. I begin assembly on round 1 even now... >:D

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 01:11:05 AM »
Some questions on what would be permissible as the backdrop scenery ...

(a) A game based unit movement tray with cut-outs for the figures bases to fit in. (e.g an Impetus stand)
(b) A non game display stand with cut-outs for the figures bases to fit in. (e.g two walls and a floor plus furnishings or a multi level hillside.)
(c) As above (b) but with no cut-outs.

Basically, I would be making (a) or (b) regardless of entering the comp, so can I use them in the photos?

Oops! One more question: Can the 'non standing' squad have a standing miniature if there are at least 5 more that are not?

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:17:06 AM by jthomlin »
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 02:19:26 AM »
Would Aztecs be eligible for Round 5, or are we talking specifically European Middle Ages?

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 04:35:39 AM »
Considering entering, the lying figures are the easiest to fill IMO, the hardest will be the monsters, but I have a couple of ideas.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 04:55:42 AM »
My first thought was wagon drivers.
But it would be, wouldn't it?
 ;)

Hah - you're entering 5 wagons in round one?

incl. five wagons we would be fine :)

Well, I was actually thinking of them sitting around in a different situation rather than actually sitting in wagons.
Although I very much doubt that I would be entering anyway......so just ignore me.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 05:51:46 AM »
Although I very much doubt that I would be entering anyway......so just ignore me.

Yeah, I too am starting to feel that I probably can't enter. As always I've let this creep up on me and haven't begun planning and preparing in advance. It's not just the figures themselves but the scenery backdrops as well (I'd rather not enter without proper terrain/scenery themed to match the figures as I think it makes all the difference). With that in mind, I might as well share my ideas for round 1:

My first idea was a group of swords-and-sorcery civilians for a multicultural marketplace with a generally Middle Eastern, African and South Asian flair. I have a few of the sitting Indian civilians from Eureka and the beggars from the Chaos in Cairo range, and at least one sitting camel (don't remember where from). I could have complemented that with one or a couple of sitting/kneeling Beja from the Perry Miniatures Sudan range converted to remove the weapons and possibly change the hair so they look less culturally distinct. Maybe also a sitting dog or monkey from somewhere if I could have found one.

My second idea was to get some skeletons (I have some old GW plastic ones, and needless to say there's plenty of other companies selling skellies as well) and convert them into sitting "funerary" poses (assuming they would not count as "casualties" that way), which should be easy enough given that they're just skeletons so I'd only need to cut and re-position some bones (no flesh or clothing to re-sculpt). Seated on stone chairs or benches they would make great dungeon decor.

My third idea was to use the seated fantasy tavern patrons from Battleline Miniatures (a small New Zealand-based company that doesn't seem to be very well-known) seeing as I already own the figures. They're very old school in style and close to true 25mm though, which is why I've never bothered painting them so far. I'd also have to model a tavern interior which obviously is a bit of work.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:53:44 AM by Rhoderic »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »
I am actually getting the impression that this year (well, next year) we're getting more advance warning than usual, so barring incident I'll be in.
I am trying not to buy more models, and was despairing over the round 1 entry as I like to get the challenge points (well, who doesn't? :D), seeing that I always need all the points I can scrounge. I was lucky - I have just bought the IHMN rules and was digging awayin the cellar when I found a kneeling firing line I'd forgotten about - huzzah!

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
Though I know, that Infinity is a far to Manga-style-modern-game for most of you, they do have quite a few not-standing minis in their repertoire.
Unfortunately I have them painted already.

I think, some bikers should work as well. Maybe there is some old Void stuff for this.

And spirit-like-floating miniatures should be allowed, too, shouldn't they? Not sure here. I remember some angelssortofthing-minis in WH40k or SMs with jump modules in jump poses.  Do they count?

I am not sure about the bonus rounds, but I will definitely do some frostgrave-gangs.

PS
I see, thanks for clearing and most likely repeating from the rules.  o_o
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:30:35 PM by Drachenklinge »
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
Round 1 - five cavalry - simples.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
Some questions on what would be permissible as the backdrop scenery ...

(a) A game based unit movement tray with cut-outs for the figures bases to fit in. (e.g an Impetus stand)
(b) A non game display stand with cut-outs for the figures bases to fit in. (e.g two walls and a floor plus furnishings or a multi level hillside.)
(c) As above (b) but with no cut-outs.

Basically, I would be making (a) or (b) regardless of entering the comp, so can I use them in the photos?

(a,b,c) okay, sounds fine

Oops! One more question: Can the 'non standing' squad have a standing miniature if there are at least 5 more that are not?

You need at least 5 that are not standing, the rest is up to you.

Would Aztecs be eligible for Round 5, or are we talking specifically European Middle Ages?

No. We're talking about European Middle Age.

I think, some bikers should work as well. Maybe there is some old Void stuff for this.

No, no riding miniatures, so no bikers, please

And spirit-like-floating miniatures should be allowed, too, shouldn't they? Not sure here. I remember some angelssortofthing-minis in WH40k or SMs with jump modules in jump poses.  Do they count?

No, no jumping miniatures, so they don't.

Round 1 - five cavalry - simples.

No, it's not. No cavalry please, it's not the sort of sitting that we had in mind.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
No. We're talking about European Middle Age.

Would non-European peoples who had significant contact (meaning more than just the occasional Marco Polo-type journeyman) with Europeans during the Middle Ages (pre-1492) be allowed? Arabs, Moors, Mongols, Turks, etc. I'm not really asking for myself, but others might like to be clear on what applies.