Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion  (Read 76938 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
This thread is for general discussion on the LPL8

All your rules questions should be posted here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63100

As usual we ask you all to be careful with your comments on the running entries. Keep your comments constructive. Feel free to tell us your opinion about entries, but DON'T post any comments with any sort of "quality comparison" of the pictures.

Some "no-go" examples:
- Entry A is great but I have to vote for entry B, this is so much better.
- Well entry A is so manifestly superior to entry B, that I cannot understand why so many people are voting for entry B.
- Entry A is running for the third time, so I give my vote to the Entry B, it's a newly painted one.

Any comments of this or similar sort will be deleted/censored without warning.

And now get painting. Good luck to everyone!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:50 AM »
Hooray! A new LPL! Eye candy!
Too bad the LPL gets more and more restraining rules each year. Think it's a shame...personally I prefer the LPL's of years back where everybody uploaded whatever they wanted and comments weren't restricted in this manner. But that's my personal preference.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »
Too bad the LPL gets more and more restraining rules each year. Think it's a shame...personally I prefer the LPL's of years back where everybody uploaded whatever they wanted and comments weren't restricted in this manner. But that's my personal preference.

I think the current format is very much a result of collected attempts to make the LPL manageable to the show runners.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »

I think the current format is very much a result of collected attempts to make the LPL manageable to the show runners.

Having just run the PA painting club - which is a mere Sunday morning jog to the extreme marathon of the LPL - I can attest to how time consuming comp admin can be.  Smaller comps can probably get away with fewer rules but as interest and participation grows there has to be some sort of constraint to help the admin keep all in order.  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »

Yes it was very easy for everyone to send whatever they wanted but the consequence of this for the moderator was spending ten sundays in year for correcting/renaming/re-scaling-the-pics/trying-to-guess-who's-the-painter/answering-to-complaints etc. Though that's not the only point.

These rules are pretty much what I've had in mind starting the legue first time. Simple teams, simple pics. And this is the another point - we wanted a fair competition. If you look through the older entries, you would find many pictures with a lot of fancy and colourful decorations/frames/texts, huge close-ups and with less or very little of the teams. And this was just not right. In turn some painters stopped to participate just because of these exaggerations.

So I think this version of the rules gives you the opportunity to participate in a fair and balanced contest, it gives a great deal of support to the moderators of the LPL and it makes it for spectators to a show about figures and above all to a show about art of miniatures painting and terrain modeling, not about Photoshop skills.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:18:28 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
When the announcement came, I really crossed my fingers and mumbled "No ancients, please no Ancients". That's what I get for crossing fingers lol
Thank you once again for the effort, Alex! I'd love to help in any way :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
When the announcement came, I really crossed my fingers and mumbled "No ancients, please no Ancients". That's what I get for crossing fingers lol
Thank you once again for the effort, Alex! I'd love to help in any way :)

Skander, I'm really sure, the love for the Ancients wargaming is slumbering in you since ages and also your Ancients team would be an eye candy! And now, where we have an Ancients round, I will have to participate as well :)

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
Another LPL, awesome! I can't wait to browse through all the eye-candy every week 8)

I can understand the need for a clear set of rules. Key to a comp like this is it being manageable in a decent amount of time by the admin. So strict rules for format, name and e-mail are all completely understandable and good in my book. Getting rid of al the digital add-ons I can understand as well. However, I hadn't expected further rules/a ban on a few added close-ups and different perspectives, as long as there is one central and large picture.

For me the LPL is all about 'getting together' with other painting enthusiasts to show each other our labours of love. Therefore I'd like the picture to resemble this as close as possible. If I look at someone else's painted miniatures in real life I take a general look and then go searching for all the neat details (freehands etc.) and small conversions that he/she made: the things that inspire and motivate. Vice versa, if I've painted new miniatures, these are the things that I'd like other people to notice as well as the general look. Not being able to see/use a few small close-ups and different perspectives for me unfortunately will change the experience of the LPL quite a lot actually...   

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
I don't mind the changes, actually.  I just have to figure out if I have the time to participate...  lol

Regarding round 10... does it have to be historical WW1, or can it also be fantasy/weird renditions of said conflict?
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »
For me the LPL is all about 'getting together' with other painting enthusiasts to show each other our labours of love. Therefore I'd like the picture to resemble this as close as possible. If I look at someone else's painted miniatures in real life I take a general look and then go searching for all the neat details (freehands etc.) and small conversions that he/she made: the things that inspire and motivate. Vice versa, if I've painted new miniatures, these are the things that I'd like other people to notice as well as the general look. Not being able to see/use a few small close-ups and different perspectives for me unfortunately will change the experience of the LPL quite a lot actually...   

Good photography skills and 'diorama' building skills will be more important now - it will become more of a 'Lead Photographers League' I think. 

I'm mediocre to decent miniature painter and a rather bad photographer. Last LPL's I could compensate the last bit by inserting details shots.

To truely reduce it to a painting competition and not composition/terrrain building with painted figures as an extra, I  think entries should all be shot before an identical gradient background (which could be provided by the organisers).

Anyhow - the organisers set the rules, it's their show after all. The plus side will be that I'll have reduced stress level this year.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
I'm pretty new to the forum, but will definitely have a go at this, hopefully will have enough for all rounds. Looking forward to it.  :)

As an arranger of painting challenges on another forum, I can appreciate the amount of work that goes on in the background. Well done guys, these things are a big time sink. For those muttering about the rules, one thing I learnt was that you can't please all of the folk all of the time. If you make changes to appease one viewpoint, somebody else will object. At the end of the day, it's painting toy soldiers, just enjoy it, as a spectator or participant.  8)

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
Hooray! The standard of the LPL is always high, and the entries are a joy to look at, so good luck to one and all - I look forward to the whole thing :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
Rules.

No bad-mouthing comments.
Quick and easy photos.

Sounds good to me.

Means if I enter, photography will be quicker.   :)
As for scenery I love to see others but I don't have any so I don't worry.  It's only a bit of fun.   :)  Let's not have a big...

...fight.   lol

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
Those are brilliant Orctrader  8) 8) 8)
And a stunning example of (i) what to expect in LPL and (ii) what can be done with format proposed  :D

I have very little time for painting and modelling, and am thus nowhere near the standards which are seen in LPL; and I am a rubbish photographer, unless I have an aeroplane stuck to my camera.

But I'll try to get in on this (i) for fun; (ii) to clear some of the lead, plastic, resin etc. mountain; (iii) to strongly contend for the last place and (iv) to get away from what amounts to a burn out at work - thus, for my health, and I wish I was kidding.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys, it's just like Nord said, it's impossible to please everyone. But we try to give our best all the time :)

Regarding round 10... does it have to be historical WW1, or can it also be fantasy/weird renditions of said conflict?

It has to be historical World War One.