Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 34556 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 03:55:12 AM »
How cruel to follow up the Build Something Contest so closely!  lol lol

I'd hate to miss it. I guess it just means I won't be posting photos of things I'm painting for awhile, now. I will TRY to enter this one. I know I have an incredibly busy schedule coming up, including a spring break in Argentina (I know...don't cry for me... lol).

That said, I did just receive a shipment of a bunch of 28mm gladiators...and I do have that last batch of Flint & Feather figures (trust me, I have the tribesmen thing covered... lol), and I have been wanting to paint up some more of the Splintered Light Miniatures animals...

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:07 AM »
including a spring break in Argentina (I know...don't cry for me... lol).

lol
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »
Tempting  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
You lot are a bad influence.
Looked at the bonus rounds yesterday and thought I may not enter again this year (especially after my first foray into it last year met with some very severe defeats  :D) - so why is it I find myself just having ordered a bunch of stuff to paint for this year's LPL? lol

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 12:50:31 AM »
This year, I am determined to participate. I have loads of half painted minis to finish off   lol

Offline Orange

• Student
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:56 AM »
I've seen these before and have always been curious, and will give it a go this year.

Does it fill up quickly? The idea of getting up at 3am to enter my things at the exact opening time does not look appealing!

Cheers

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »
Reasonably quickly-ish, but not unreasonably so.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
Last year there were only 34 out of 50 people entering, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make it to 50 again this year. But you don't want to be the last one to enter when there's an odd number of opponents, so I wouldn't leave it till the last minute, but you definetly don't need to rush to enter as soon as it opens  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
Although there are no guarantees!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
In typical fashion, I have found in the lead pile all the models for my 2017 LPL - barring the week 1 tribe, who are missing in action!  >:(
Back to digging....

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »
I think I'll enter this for the first time.

Do i need to enter a new team for every round?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
I think I'll enter this for the first time.

Do i need to enter a new team for every round?

You don't have to, but if you want to maximise points and league position, you should.

Plus, rightly or wrongly, people tend to get bored of repeat entries very quickly, and they tend to get voted down - even if they're better painted than a 'new' team they come up against...

You need to enter with three teams to participate in the first three rounds. After that, it's up to you if you enter more new teams for each ensuing round, or roll forward one of your original teams.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
Great. Righting up a list of the stuff i plan to paint :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
!!
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »
In this terrible silence I can hear a hundred paintbrushes soaking up colour and flattering models of all shapes and scales.

My progress is a bit erratic. As usual I crated a spreadsheet which I populated with my intended entries. The sailors gave me a spot of grief until I remembered a tiny stash hidden away somewhere, although I had a tense moment when I thought I had just 4! Luckily I was wrong.

The tribe - I was certain I'd give this theme a miss until I realised that the stuff I could enter was staring at me right in the face. I have to thank my wife for these models.

The 'Big Brother' + 5. This was the one I had no qualms about, and then ended up wasting oodles of time on. It's easier when you have no choice! I dug up and starting working on no less than 5 different choices! I finally decided on something related to a project I'd started months back, after rejecting the other hopefuls. One of the sets is still appearing in a non-bonus round, however.

As of last night I had all 52 (10 x 5; the big brother; and one extra model I couldn't leave out) on the painting table, which looked impressive, except that I had no space left thanks to the BSC entry (it's still not found a home in storage!) and a post-LPL project. No major incidents, other than almost skewering myself on a horrendously pointy spear (seriously, it's vicious, needs a health warning and safety gear) and spilling a fine layer of superglue on the floor tiles....help!

One of the sailors got off his base this morning, but he's back on now. Everybody's assembled, but I need to get some basework done before spraying. And of course the weather's rubbish for spraying today....

....(later) I managed to do the spraying when the wind died. First time I sprayed stuff almost in the dark, with flashes of lightning and rumbling thunder.... but they're done now, and safe indoors too  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:39:10 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
How cruel to follow up the Build Something Contest so closely!  lol lol

I'd hate to miss it. I guess it just means I won't be posting photos of things I'm painting for awhile, now. I will TRY to enter this one. I know I have an incredibly busy schedule coming up, including a spring break in Argentina (I know...don't cry for me... lol).

That said, I did just receive a shipment of a bunch of 28mm gladiators...and I do have that last batch of Flint & Feather figures (trust me, I have the tribesmen thing covered... lol), and I have been wanting to paint up some more of the Splintered Light Miniatures animals...

Mike, I sincerely hope you make it in this year! I think I'm going to join this time around, and I might even post all new and original stuff as well! And yes, same as you, it's partly because I haven't posted anything new on my site for some time :)

Thanks for inspiring me back in 2013!

n
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:25:23 PM by Neldoreth »