Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League - Rules  (Read 38949 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
The Lead Painters' League - Rules
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:46:06 AM »

Lead Adventure Forum proudly presents

"The Lead Painters´ League"

Introduction

Lead Adventure Forum is happy to launch a new painting contest, a painters´ competition of a special kind – “The Lead Painters´ League”.

“What is it all about? Do we really need YET ANOTHER competition? Ain´t there enough competitions already?!?”

Yes. ;)

The internet has born great new ways for painters to compare their work; however, those are commonly dominated by a select few “master brush-men” (and –ladies, of course!). This means that diligent and prolific painters (often “gamers”), who prefer to produce large numbers of beautifully-painted miniatures at slightly “lesser” standards but don´t wish to toil endlessly in producing a single, “perfect” award-winning piece, are severely disadvantaged.

To account for those peoples abilities, we´ve created “The Lead Painters´ League”. The general idea is pitting one painter against one opponent at a time, with other matches occurring concurrently, similar to football league games. Of course, painting quality is a key point, but the competitors will also score points for the number of figures they produce – a good balance between the two will prove most successful, but it will provide good chances for gamers AND painters alike. We cannot comment if this is as good an idea as it sounds, but remember, the focus is on “fun” – time will tell, and don´t take it too seriously!

Well then, let´s get down to the rules. They are as yet untested and may still be improved – so, if you´ve got proposals or ideas, tell us about them! We´re happy to hear from you.

Rules Stuff

Participants

Obviously, since we want to have a „league“, we´ll require an even number of participants, so that each round will see an equal number of matches. New participants may join in until Round Five, but may have to wait until an even number is again arrived at.

Duration

The league will run for a total of 10 rounds, with each round taking one week of real time.

Entries

Participants will enter pictures of their “teams”. A team consists of a number of painted figures, at least five, but possibly more. The gist is that the “team” must follow a common “theme”, for example you might enter a Cowboy Posse, but not Masai led by a Silver Age Superhero or German Fallschirmjägers led by Indiana Jones. Other than that, a “team” might be a “posse”, a “squad”, or even a “regiment” – the sky is the limit.

To repeat, at least five figures following a single, distinct theme.

The entry picture may NOT be a collage of individual pictures, but should be a "group shot" of the complete team, possibly in a decorated environment, or in front of a plain backdrop. You may, however, add some closeups of small aspects, like faces, equipment, etc., but the main focus of the image must clearly be on "the team".

All picture entries must be sent to forum@backofbeyond.de and must meet a previously-specified deadline, namely the end of the previous round. A picture must meet a maximum resolution of 800x800 pixels.

Painting

The only hard and fast rule - all figures must be completely painted, and all bases must be finished. We ONLY accept pictures of finished models, "work in progress" (WIP) shots are NOT allowed.

Scale

There are NO scale restrictions. From 2mm to 120mm, and beyond, anything goes; of course, the scale should be consistent within the team, although you might enter different teams in different scales, and there might be some leeway for scales within teams, for example including a larger-scale figure as a "giant" in a group of otherwise smaller-scale figures - just make sure all figures follow a consistent theme.

Composition of the Team

The only thing NOT acceptable as part of a team is any type of terrain, which may only be used as a "backdrop" for your entry photography. Other than that, you may enter any assembly of miniatures, including humans, aliens, monsters, animals, robots, vehicles, ships, aircraft, spacecraft etc., or a combination thereof, for example a team of humans and animals or of humans and a vehicle (or multiple vehicles). The ONLY stipulation being that the team must follow a consistent theme.

Themes

The first Season will not feature any limits, you may choose any theme or topic you like; however, in future seasons, we may be running theme-specific championships.

League Tables

All results will be collected in a „League Table“, continually updated and always showing the current state of the championship.

Matches

In each round, a number of matches will be held. In each match, two randomly-determined participants will face each other, the winner being determined by public vote in a Poll linked to the respective match.

Depending on the number of votes cast, participants receive League Points.

If the difference between votes is Five or less, the match is considered a "Draw" and both participants receive 20 points.

If the difference between votes is Six or more, the participant who received more votes is considered the "Winner" and receives 30 points, whereas his opponent, the "Loser" receives 10 points.

In addition, participants receive "bonus points" depending on the number of votes cast. For this, the number of votes received by the participant is divided by 10, the result being the number of "bonus points" the participant receives, ranging from 0 (9 votes or less) to a maximum of 5 (50 votes or more).

Rounds 5 and 10 will be "bonus rounds", in which participants may enter teams that follow a previously-determined theme. If they meet the theme, they will be awarded match points, a bonus of "x" points for meeting the theme, vote bonus points and 10 points for entering a new team, as usual.

However, since it isn´t a “knock-out” system, losing a round will NOT mean you have to leave the league, just dropping in the league tables – if you put on a good show in the following rounds, you may still claw your way back to the top.

Winners

After the last round of the league (round 10), the winner will be the participant who collected the greatest number of League Points. Should two participants have scored an equal number of League Points, we´ll hold “paint-offs”, but probably, this will not be necessary.

The first three places will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze status and will receive a special notion to their LAF account and post info.

Replacements

You do NOT have to enter a new team in every new Round, but you are ALLOWED to do so. You may compete with a single team for the whole season; even if a team should lose a match, it will NOT be dismissed from the competition. Note, though, that you receive 10 bonus points for every NEW team you enter.

It is perfectly acceptable to use one team for the whole season. However, participants may enter new teams between rounds, but NOT during a round; the only stipulation is that the new team must also consist of at least five figures and follow a common theme, but you may freely choose another theme if you feel like it – for example, replace a team of Pulp cultists with Gangsters, or Cowboys with Spartans, etc...

Participants who enter new teams are awarded a one-time bonus of 10 points for every new team they enter, to reward prolific painters. In addition, having “novelty” status might prove beneficial with the fickle public temper. :D

Registration and Deadlines

The first round of the first season will start on Monday, September 17th, 2007. All participants must have entered a pic prior to that date; all pictures received after September. 17th will enter play in the second round.

Entry Deadlines and Round Durations for the 2007 autumn season will be:

Round 1 (League Start)    September 17th – September 23rd
Round 2          September 24th – September 30th
Round 3          October 1st – October 7th
Round 4         October 8th – October 14th
Round 5         October 15th – October 21st *
Round 6         October 22nd – October 28th    
Round 7         October 29th – November 4th
Round 8         November 5th – November 11th
Round 9         November 12th – November 18th
Round 10 (Sn1 Finals)    November 19th – November 25th

*= Final registration for Season 1/07

New participants may enter until the end of Round 5, the deadline being Tuesday, October 21st. Any entries from new challengers received after that date will be held for the start of the next season.

And last but not least, here my special thanks to the following people:

Steve Dean - for the idea of phpBB voted-based forum painting competition
Tom Weiss  - for his help to create the concept of the contest rules
Chistian Steimel aka Westfalia Chris - for the great translation of the rules into english

OK, here we go, let the games begin !!! 8)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 11:47:09 AM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
The Lead Painters' League
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:07:28 PM »
the first supplementation:

The entry picture may NOT be a collage of individual pictures, but should be a "group shot" of the complete team, possibly in a decorated environment, or in front of a plain backdrop. You may, however, add some closeups of small aspects, like faces, equipment, etc., but the main focus of the image must clearly be on "the team".

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Do I understand correctly, that you need to paint a new team for every round? I mean, 1 team a week?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:40:06 PM »
Quote from: "Jase"
Do I understand correctly, that you need to paint a new team for every round? I mean, 1 team a week?

no  :D - It is perfectly acceptable to use one team for the whole season...Participants who enter new teams are awarded a one-time bonus of 10 points for every new team they enter, to reward prolific painters.

Offline demi_morgana

• Mad Scientist
    • Miniatures, tutorials, gallery, swearing...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
great idea! :D
I'd really love to participate but because of job that sucks all of my vital energy  my painting speed decreased extremly :cry:
anyway - if I won't manage to paint anything to participate - I'll be really happy to vote :)

Offline O gato Mortimer

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 07:38:50 PM »
Good and funny idea!  :mrgreen:
Vai o gato metido nun saco, vai o gato pra terra da Laxe...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »
I like the idea. Is promotes the very stuff that makes this place great.

One of the reasons for me being on this forum is the amazing turnaround of stellar work. That's why this place never gets old. Call it Teutonic Efficiency, Oz Can-Do or Yankee Go-geddum, I don't have it. All I have is Swedish OneDayI'llShowThemAll. It doesn't matter, since I like to be inspired by that other stuff.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »
To bring a wayward thread back in line: May I inquire where the line goes on what kind of entries are allowed and disallowed? What if someone enters a group of spaceships? Mechs? 6mm miniatures? 28mm scale vehicles (or a mix - like a group of soldiers and their transport/support vehicle)?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
To bring a wayward thread back in line: May I inquire where the line goes on what kind of entries are allowed and disallowed? What if someone enters a group of spaceships? Mechs? 6mm miniatures? 28mm scale vehicles (or a mix - like a group of soldiers and their transport/support vehicle)?

Actually there aren't disallowed entries. Mechs or spaceships, whatever you want, all what we need are at least five models and they should belong together. If you're going to paint a car and four soldiers, no problem, but that should look plausible and suitable

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »
In that case I MIGHT just be able to scrounge up enough entries for a late registration. I'm sure I won't make the first few deadlines though. But I certainly hope I'm not the only painter at my level to compete, or I'll feel very embarassed :oops:

Also, now that you spliced the thread, my "wayward thread" comment makes no sense anymore  :)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
Some further clarifications...

Scale: There are NO scale restrictions. From 2mm to 120mm, and beyond, anything goes; of course, the scale should be consistent within the team, although you might enter different teams in different scales, and there might be some leeway for scales within teams, for example including a larger-scale figure as a "giant" in a group of otherwise smaller-scale figures - just make sure all figures follow a consistent theme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Painting: The only hard and fast rule - all figures must be completely painted, and all bases must be finished. We ONLY accept pictures of finished models, "work in progress" (WIP) shots are NOT allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clarification on the number of teams: You do NOT have to enter a new team in every new Round, but you are ALLOWED to do so. You may compete with a single team for the whole season; even if a team should lose a match, it will NOT be dismissed from the competition. Note, though, that you receive 10 bonus points for every NEW team you enter.

Composition of the Team: The only thing NOT acceptable as part of a team is any type of terrain, which may only be used as a "backdrop" for your entry photography. Other than that, you may enter any assembly of miniatures, including humans, aliens, monsters, animals, robots, vehicles, ships, aircraft, spacecraft etc., or a combination thereof, for example a team of humans and animals or of humans and a vehicle (or multiple vehicles). The ONLY stipulation being that the team must follow a consistent theme.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »
So if the first round starts on the 17th you want finished teams on that date right?  That's not when we start painting?  Are we to enter newly painted teams or teams we already have painted and will we know who we are paired up against before each round starts or after?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 04:59:48 PM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"
So if the first round starts on the 17th you want finished teams on that date right?

on the 17th is the start so you have to send me the pics for the round 1 on the 16th at the latest.

That's not when we start painting?

no, feel free to start :)

Are we to enter newly painted teams or teams we already have painted

it would be great to enter with newly painted teams but of course I will accept the older stuff too.

will we know who we are paired up against before each round starts or after?

After. That will be revealed on Mondays with the start of a new round

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
Ok I have a couple other questions.  

Are we allowed to show any WIPs outside the competition?

Are we allowed to show any finished versions before the voteing starts.  I.E. My second group will be 1930s Marines.  If I show do a WIP and show finished minis in the Pulp Section or on another forum will that disqualify me?  

If I have a squad that is part of a game but that squad can only have a maximum of four models can I enter that sqad and a single personality from the same faction/army as my entry?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »
Are we allowed to show any WIPs outside the competition?

of course

Are we allowed to show any finished versions before the voteing starts.  I.E. My second group will be 1930s Marines.  If I show do a WIP and show finished minis in the Pulp Section or on another forum will that disqualify me?  

nothing will disqualify you, that's not Golden Demon :) Fell free to post your stuff wherever you want. I personally wouldnt post my stuff on this forum bevore the start but that's just my way, how said, it's only your decision. The whole competition should be a matter of fun, we don't want to take it too seriously  :wink:

If I have a squad that is part of a game but that squad can only have a maximum of four models can I enter that sqad and a single personality from the same faction/army as my entry?

yes