Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES  (Read 27700 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
Lead Adventure Forum proudly presents:

The Lead Painters’ League 11

This year, the Lead Painters' League will be held for the eleventh time.

The basic rule remains: paint 5 figures as a team, take a pic, resize the pic to a maximum of 1000 x 1000 pixels, and send it in.

In more detail…

Lead Painters’ League 11 (LPL11) Rules

1. Duration

The Lead Painters' League is held once a year, consisting of 10 rounds, with each round taking a week of real time.

2. Number of Participants

The maximum number of participants is 50.

3. Entry Requirements

To take part in the league, you must submit three new teams (to be featured in the first three rounds) by the specified deadline.
See below for this league’s season's deadlines.
Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. The first 50 LAF members to submit three painted teams will take part in the league.

- You may not enter your LPL11 registration pictures before Friday 17th March 2017, 19.00 pm GMT. Entries sent before this date and time won't be accepted.
   - The final deadline for entries is Friday 31st March 2017, 12.00 noon GMT. Remember, you must submit THREE teams by this date.
   - You MUST specify which of these THREE teams is to participate in the first round, which in the second round, and which in the third.

4. Teams

A ‘team’ consists of 5 or more fully-painted miniatures or models in any scale up to and including 40mm.

A ‘new team’ is a set of your painted figures or models, photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet (this only applies to the miniatures in their painted state, of course).

All figures or models must be on finished bases, which may be textured, decorated, painted (with a pattern or in a solid, finished single colour) or consist of clear plastic (such as "flying" bases or clear acrylic/Perspex shapes).

The figures must form a plausible ‘team’ by following a common theme AND being ‘on the same side’ - thus, for example, 2 Vampires and 3 Witch Hunters do NOT form a legal team, whereas 5 Woodland Indians do.

A miniature mounted on a steed of any kind (horse, lizard, warg, pig, motorcycle, squig or space hopper) still counts as a single figure.
Larger beasts such as elephants and vehicles such as trucks, count as a single figure with their mahouts or drivers; any extra figures such as fighting crew or passengers count as separate, additional figures.

5. Team Photographs

You should submit a single photograph of the figures in the team, which may NOT be a collage or composite of individual images.

The maximum image dimensions are 1000 pixels wide by 1000 pixels high. The maximum file size is 1Mb (due to technical limitations and to reduce load time for slower internet connections).

You may NOT use any kind of digital manipulation except for basic image correction to white balance, colour balance, sharpness, brightness and contrast.

The following modifications are expressly FORBIDDEN:
•   Any added text
•   Any special effects (e.g. glow effects, artificial shadows, coloured outlines)
•   Additional close-ups
•   Alternative viewing angles
•   Digitally-added background imagery
•   Digital removal of base edges, addition of smoke, flames, etc
•   Any kind of frames
The above list is NOT comprehensive. In short, any modification that goes beyond making the picture representative of the actual figures (see above) is not allowed.

6. Backgrounds

Your backdrop may be a single colour or gradient, or you may use physical terrain pieces to provide a scenic backdrop for your miniatures.
You may not use a photograph as a backdrop, nor any form of illustration or painting portraying woods, hills, sky etc.
Any terrain must be in the photo from the start (i.e. you must photograph the figures in front of it). You may not digitally add in a background image at a later point.

7. Submitting Photographs

When submitting photographs, the following details must be supplied in the text body of the e-mail:
•   Team Name: to a maximum length of 30 characters (including additional information such as "decals used" or "xx mm scale").
•   Member Name: even if it is for the last round of the league, always remember to add your forum username to ease administration and avoid mix-ups.
•   Declare if the team is new – i.e. previously unpublished (see 3. above).

To help us with administration, please also put your user name, team name and intended round in the mail header  (e.g. "SamSamplename Crusader_Cavalry  Round 2" and, if possible, in the file name (e.g. "SamSamplename_crusader_cavalry_rd2.jpg"). This is useful for keeping track, especially for a larger number of participants. Further details as specified under 7.a. need only be put in the text body.

8. Match Pairings

In each round, participants' teams will be paired off in one topic for each match.
The first round pairings are completely random.
From round two onwards pairings are made using an algorithm devised by Westfalia Chris, based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

LAF members may vote for either of the two teams.
Each LAF member has a single vote on each and every match.

9. Winning, drawing and losing

If the vote difference is 11 votes or more, the team with the higher number of votes is declared the winner and receives 30 match points. The team with the lower number of votes is the loser and receives 10 match points.

If the vote difference is 10 votes or less, the match counts as a draw and both teams are awarded 20 match points.

10a. Vote share bonus points

1. Both contestants' total vote scores are added to determine the total vote score.
2. Next, each contestant’s individual score is divided by the total vote score to determine their share.
3. Each contestant receives 1 vote point for every ten per cent of the total vote score.
4. For fractions of ten per cent, the lower score is rounded up to the next full ten, the higher score is rounded down. This means that unless a contestant receives zero votes, the minimum score is always 1, the maximum score is always 9.
Example: If, in a match, 500 votes were cast, of which 400 were in favour of contestant A and 100 in contestant B, contestant A receives 8 vote points (80%) whereas contestant  B receives 2 vote points (20%).
If contestant A received 370 votes (74%) whereas contestant B receives 130 (26%), contestant B's vote points are rounded up from 2.6 to 3.

10b. Newly painted team bonus points

In rounds 4 through 10, any new (i.e. unpublished, cf. 3 above) team will receive 10 points the first time it participates. Older, previously published teams may also be submitted to participate, but will not receive this ‘new team’ bonus.

11. Themed bonus rounds

Rounds 1, 5 and 10 are bonus rounds featuring a specific theme – a creative challenge for participants. Participants don’t HAVE to follow the theme in these rounds, but they will win extra bonus points if they do.
In these rounds, if you submit a new team for a bonus round that matches the bonus round's theme, your team receives an extra theme round bonus as specified below (in addition to the 10 point ‘new team’ bonus).

This year, the bonus themes are:

Round 1 - Tribesmen

A team comprising figures that represent a group of tribesmen or recognisably tribal warriors. From any historical period, fantasy or sci-fi setting. Ancient Germans, Zulus, Amazonian Indians, Dothraki – they’re all tribes. Think of a legitimate tribe, paint a team of at least 5 figures and earn 10 extra theme bonus points.
(If you are at all in doubt as to whether a subject meets the theme 'Tribesmen', feel free to ask).

Round 5 – Ship’s Crew

A team comprising members of a ship’s crew. Any ship, any crew. From Jason and the Argonauts, through the Age of Discovery, Nelson, Das Boot, and any other crew you can think of. From the Enterprise to Serenity or the Nostromo. The Nautilus or the Black Pearl. Think of a ship, paint a team of at least 5 figures representing its crew, and earn 10 extra theme bonus points.

Round 10 – Big Brother, Little Brothers

A team consisting of one large character, creature or entity, and at least 5 regular-sized figures TO THE SAME SCALE that recognisably relate as a set.
For example, Father Dagon accompanied by 5 Deep Ones. Or a Tyrannosaurus Rex accompanied by 5 velociraptors.
The bigger figure or model must visibly be - as an absolute minimum - at least twice as large as the other figures in the team.
Please note, for this bonus round theme, the teams must be 'figures'. Transport / vehicles / ships do not qualify (so, for instance, a big spaceship and 5 fighters wouldn't count).
Paint a team of a big brother (or sister) and at least 5 smaller plausible relatives, and earn 15 extra bonus points.

12. Unfair Means

During any round in which a team is participating in a match, you may NOT post images of that team elsewhere on the internet, nor ask other people to vote in your favour. This would constitute unsporting and ungentlemanly conduct.

13. Bonus Awards Points

There are 105 bonus points available to be collected during Season 11:

Round 1  - 10 pts theme bonus: ‘Tribesmen’
Round 2  - no bonus
Round 3  - no bonus
Round 4  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 5  - 10 pts new bonus, 10 pts theme bonus: ‘Ship’s Crew’
Round 6  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 7  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 8  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 9  - 10 pts new bonus
Round 10 - 10 pts new bonus, 15 pts theme bonus: ‘Big Brother, Little Brothers’

14. The Championship Title

After the final round of the league (round 10), the winner will be the participant who collected the greatest number of league points. Should two participants have scored an equal number of league points, we will hold a ‘paint-off’ - but probably this will not be necessary.

The three highest placed participants will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze medals shown on their LAF account and post info.

15. Timings, Registration and Deadlines

The first round of LPL11 will open for voting on Sunday 2nd April, 2017.

Entries to any round must be received by 12.00 Midnight BST (GMT +1 hour) on the Friday before the next round opens on the Sunday.

Which means that you have until 23.00 GMT on Friday 31st March to get your first three teams in at lpl@leadadventureforum.com.
The deadlines for LPL11 teams to be submitted will be as follows:

Round 1  - Friday 31st March
Round 2  - Friday 31st March
Round 3  - Friday 31st March
Round 4  - Friday 21st April
Round 5  - Friday 28th April
Round 6  - Friday 5th May
Round 7  - Friday 12th May
Round 8  - Friday 19th May
Round 9  - Friday 26th May
Round 10 – Friday 2nd June

PLEASE USE THIS RULES THREAD ONLY FOR QUESTIONS OR CLARIFICATIONS ON THE RULES.
FOR GENERAL COMMENT ON LPL11, PLEASE USE THE GENERAL LPL11 THREAD
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:04:24 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 11 - THE RULES
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
For the "Tribe" round, I'm guessing, Orcs, Kobolds or Dwarfs bands are OK? If they'll all from the same species that is. :?

Are they tribal?
We're looking for subjects that anyone would automatically and immediately associate with the idea of tribes, tribal or tribesmen.

So for instance, Apache, Masai or Ancient Germans are widely known as tribes or part of tribal cultures.
Vikings on the other hand are not. Maybe they lived in tribes - certainly in family groups. But you don't think of Vikings as tribesmen.
Generic cultures, types or ethnic groups are not necessarily tribal / tribesmen.
I would say Orcs, Kobolds and Dwarves are not known for being part of tribes - so wouldn't qualify.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
For round 10 would a 40K space marine Dreadnought be okay as the big brother  along with some space marines or would that count as a vehicle?

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
would a post apoc / mad max type group count as a tribal entry?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:48 PM »
For round 10 would a 40K space marine Dreadnought be okay as the big brother  along with some space marines or would that count as a vehicle?

Yes. That would count. It's a big figure, like a robot, right? Like a kind of giant space marine, only more machine like. In which case, fine. If it was more of a vehicle it wouldn't be.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
The bump to 1000px by 1000px is appreciated!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »
The bump to 1000px by 1000px is appreciated!

We had that last time too :)

would a post apoc / mad max type group count as a tribal entry?

Don't really think so, sorry Steve  :(

I know that the stereotypical post-apoc / Mad Max savage wasteland dwellers sport what are known as 'tribal tattoos' - so there's a kind of 'tribal' vibe going on. But they're really gangs of mutants and misfits, not homogenous tribes in the true sense. They are not tribesmen.
I think the test with this theme category is to put the word 'tribesmen' after it and see if it works.

So: Masai tribesmen, Ancient German tribesmen, Pathan tribesmen, Bedouin tribesmen, Game of Throne Hill Tribes tribesmen etc etc - yes.

But Viking tribesmen, Dwarf tribesmen, post apocalyptic tribesmen... They don't quite fly.

I'm afraid it is a little bit subjective.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
Round 1 - Tribesmen

Copplestone (and others) "Cave Girls" converted with shields and spears as Lost World Tribeswomen.  Would these count for the bonus?  (As I just happen to be converting them now... ::) )

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
More Tribesmen question...sorry...

How about Necromunda Ratskins...Ratskin Tribesmen rolls off the tongue for me. 
leadadventureforum.com/gallery/16/1338_04_02_14_4_41_04_1.jpg

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Round 1 - Tribesmen

Copplestone (and others) "Cave Girls" converted with shields and spears as Lost World Tribeswomen.  Would these count for the bonus?  (As I just happen to be converting them now... ::) )

'Cave tribes' seem plausible. I guess they may have been more extended family groups than tribes, but tribes of cave people feel like they qualify.

The easiest thing of course, would be if we all just stuck to the obvious tribes which we all know. But I guess that wouldn't be quite such a challenge ;)  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »
More Tribesmen question...sorry...

How about Necromunda Ratskins...Ratskin Tribesmen rolls off the tongue for me. 

I actually don't know what those are, sorry. I shall consult a higher authority - the LAF LPL mod team - and get back to you...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 08:36:49 PM »
Hope it doesn’t get out wrong, as I don’t want to start a polemic, but, I think tribe is a dubious term… at least as soon as we get out of the historic realms…

I just checked Wikipedia (yes, I know), and they refer to a gang of Kobolds as "tribe".

The easiest thing of course, would be if we all just stuck to the obvious tribes which we all know. But I guess that wouldn't be quite such a challenge ;)  lol

Sticking to the usual suspect (i.e. historical tribes) sure make things easier… if you already get figures that fit the bill in your collection.

… BTW, are Zulu a tribe or a clan? ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
… BTW, are Zulu a tribe or a clan? ;)

They are a people. The largest ethnic group in South Africa. If they are a tribe then the English are a tribe. I love the idea of this round (well of course I would!), and it seems clear to me what is intended if people approach it in a straightforward manner rather than looking for loopholes. But that word is unfortunately semantic fertile ground for those who hold close in their heart of hearts a dear love of nit-picking. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
…it seems clear to me what is intended if people approach it in a straightforward manner rather than looking for loopholes. But that word is unfortunately semantic fertile ground for those who hold close in their heart of hearts a dear love of nit-picking. :)

That exactly want I don’t want to do… I’m just trying to know if I got something in my figure collection that fit the theme of the round… I’ve got "lost in translation" quite a few times before with LPL rules and team terms… ;)  

Thanks for the info on the Zulu… just thinking, again, are Melanesian warriors a tribe? I got some Pulp figures to paint ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »
Oh, I wasn't accusing you, Calimero. It is a great idea for a round, but also rather a vague one. I think we can expect many more requests for rulings yet.