Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Adventures in 15mm  (Read 3920 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Fantasy Adventures in 15mm
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »
Well we started off with playing God of Battles in 15mm. It played well until we'd ended up playing it so much that we began to find various loopholes and weaknesses in the rules and then it sort of lost our attention. We decided on 15mm because you could get a decent sized force relatively cheaply and painted up relatively fast. Plus we'd been playing 15mm scifi for a while and enjoyed it, so why not fantasy too? I started with a beastman army (played as Blood Gorged in GoB), and finally got them all painted just as our interest in GoB was beginning to wane.

However, my interest in 15mm fantasy didn't stop there. Having seen the Demonworld range by Ral Partha I was hooked. The advantages of having a small table easily set up, with characterful minis that were lovely to paint got my interest going and I found I was hooked to 15mm fantasy skirmishes.

Regarding rules I/we have tried Open Combat, but found the moral rules clunky; Skulldred, which had potential, but then Dave King disappeared and interest dropped. Having liked Open Combat, which is inspired a lot by Bloodbowl, we went back to the source and played around with the Bloodbowl rules and they seem to have stuck so far.

But anyway, you guys are probably more interested in pictures of painted minis rather than my ramblings. So here's my first offering. There's more painted, just not photographed yet. My photography skills aren't the best, but I hope you get the idea.

A skirmish force from the Beastmen I started with:

The Boar ridder is a conversion from an old Citadel/Marauder boar and the big beasty is a Reaper Bones mini.

An Orc warband

A wildman/frontiersman warband.

And lastly, a wizard and town guard

Hope you like them and feel inspired to share your projects too.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fantasy Adventures in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
Wonderfull!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
They are superb, well painted 15mm! Whats not to like

I have toyed with putting an order in for some of those Ral Partha 15mm, but really have so much stuff already I don't think my better half would be to understanding of another mini project  on the list ::)

I need to complete some more first me thinks!

Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
They're really gorgeous Duncan; great job on all of them! And yeah, we should really get back into the whole 15mm scene again this year :)

Offline Math Mathonwy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
They look really good! Full of character and I like the readability. Orcs are a definite favourite, though maybe a bit more time on the freehands of the shields (OTOH, they are Orcs, so it can be seen as appropriate). The skin is fantastic, though.

But could you elaborate a bit on playing with Bloodbowl rules? Fantasy football rules for a skirmish game?

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
Ditto to everything you wrote about 15mm.
Very nice looking warbands!! Luv the beastmen. I dont have any of them in my 15mm collection yet. Must get some.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:27 PM »
The Little Warriors of various descriptions look WONDERFUL...GREAT brushwork. The Beasty Boys are more attractive in 15 than 28 in my sometimes humble opinion. VERY WELL DONE one & all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
Damn fine paintwork but also really nice models. I wasn't aware that such good sculpts were out there for 15mm fantasy.

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »
After a large sellout at the local store in the last year we just started playing Dragon Rampant in 15mm.
I got some of the Demonworld beastmen, orcs, humans and ice withches then for a couple of euros and they all look very good. There were some of the older (original ral partha) sculpts there too that I bought.

In fact, after seeing Steam Flunkys fantasy pics again I just painted some Copplestone barbarian cavalry and bought some more packs of Demonworld minis.

As we are a group of six guys 15mm turned out to be the perfect scale to play DR on a small table.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:55 AM »
Arggghhhh  o_o

Painted eyes on 15mm figures  lol

They look great  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jimboba

• Assistant
  • Warchest
    • Root around in the Warchest
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:52:42 AM »
Dangerous post.  Full of inspiring stuff and makes me want to shuffle my Beastmen to the top of the paint queue (only because I've the others painted).

Spooky on the thinking front. I could have written that too.
Personal blog at http://www.warchest.co.uk/
Mostly about miniature painting and collecting, mostly 15mm non-historical, but then anything goes!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
Some great looking groups you've got there. I was a 15mm fan for years (for the reasons you listed) but moved on to 28m when my eyes told me to. I've recently been drawn back in to 15mm sci fi though :)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. They have been a pleasure to paint (even the eyes ;) ).

15mm skirmish gaming has so many advantages. I have a small 18" square board sat on the table in my office. Meaning that in those quiet moments I can set up a quick game and perhaps play a turn or two before going back to work and leave it set up without a problem for picking up again later.

But could you elaborate a bit on playing with Bloodbowl rules? Fantasy football rules for a skirmish game?
I'll go over my notes and put them on Dropbox later so you can have a look through what we've talked about. As said they are really just rough notes.

I've also taken a few pictures of the last of my painted collection:

An unfinished Elf war band, Gandalf, and a knight

A band of Knights and men at arms fight off a giant spider:

The spider is an excellent sculpt and gives me the creeps just looking at it.

And lastly a few demonic entities.

The larger two are Reaper bones minis, which were awful to paint, so despite their rather rough appearance I'm happy enough with them considering. The smaller ones are Nurglings from GW.

That's the last of what I've managed to paint so far, apart from the much larger Beastman horde.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:09:58 AM by dijit »

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:21:19 AM »
The smaller ones are Nurglings from GW.

that's another good thing about 15mm, you can use a lot of 28mm figures for larger monsters etc. 

I found a pair of 28mm cyborgs to use as 'Rigor' and 'Mortis', bodyguards for my 15mm Dr Diabolical.  His personal medical robot is a GW Epic (1/300th) scale figure.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
They work beautifully together!