Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:35:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694511
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What type of Captain will you make?  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: What type of Captain will you make?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 10:03:17 PM »
I had a nice figure for a captain that had mail,sword,shield and throwing axes. I was going to define the axes as javelins. But it looks like you cant get javelins for captains :(

The game is sorely lacking a ~12" ranged weapon, which would satisfy people wanting to represent throwing axes, throwing knives, shurikens, flintlock pistols, crossbow pistols, etc.  It's not the end of the world, but I hope such a thing gets added.

Offline HirnKhan

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
I had a nice figure for a captain that had mail,sword,shield and throwing axes. I was going to define the axes as javelins. But it looks like you cant get javelins for captains :(

That may be because the captain table in SS is based on the basic rules where there are no javelins. Once you add LL and it's classes javelins should be part of the captain's arsenal.

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
I wish that you could get the same stats on a Captain as some of the soldiers they would mimic. I see Knights, Templars and Barbarians with fight +4 and a Captain can only get +3. If you could up his fight or shoot by +1 once as he levels would be awesome. I think the fact he takes 10-20% of your gold and doesn't have the basic stats of some f the soldiers you can buy makes the builds a little by limited.

What are your thought?

Has anyone had some games with them yet and if so is the group activation real helpful?

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »
With tricks he becomes a super crazy power house though. Example I plan to give him +1 shoot a +1 shoot Xbow Th sword and mail and a fate stone. This with the 2 ranged tricks has him firming a +7 shoot attack then rushing in with my templars to melee. With a few lvl he can grab the 2 melee tricks letting him hit at +7 once and that's without his buddy helping. Then I can get the leadership trying ck for a mob action to go with that. It makes him very versatile. Honestly higher stats would make him broken.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
I agree with @Timeshadow, once the Tricks start kicking in he could very easily become a Max/Min character and overpowered.

I'm gonna have a few playlets games using Captains to see how they pan out over the long haul. I'm 50/50 at the moment as to wether to even take one, so I'll need to see.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »
Reaper has a number of figures in their catalog labeled as "Black Legionnaires".  They have chain mail, tabards, and helmets and have figures with a crossbow, a sword and shield, and a two handed sword.  I think I'm going to get a set of these to use for my captain figure, that way I can pick which set up I want to use for each warband. 

Mike

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 12:49:08 AM »
I do like those reaper fellows. I do believe I'd build a ranger type but with an armor buff. The Cappy should be a talented fighter but what he brings is a leader for the soldiers that is flexible enough to compliment all of the others not just be a killing machine. You have other heavy hitters for hire. A stop gap and with his Tricks of the Trade he then becomes a monster slayer in a pinch yet I feel his strength is being able to bring the force to bear with his leadership. A jack of all trades. And you get a fantastic opportunity to build another personality in to your warbands.
I should be painting right now.

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 12:57:03 AM »
I keep wondering if the 10-20% loss in income a good trade off for a Captain. I was thinking of maybe a house rule if we find it to be to much. Like the gold goes to the Captain instead of just lost and can only be used by him to purchase items. So that way he could buy gear or potions with it.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 03:12:14 AM »
Honestly I don't see the 10-20% as much at all (If you could have more than one it would add up quickly).

Really if you make 300gc(a decent haul from a match) it only costs 60gc max to pay him. It's only when you make obsene amounts that it becomes nasty and then you still have 80% of an obscene amount.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »
+1 @Timeshadow.   = )

Offline craig2

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
I have mine :

With poisoned dagger.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »
Just got the expansion.. aaargh, just being able to take one of the stat increases is a real pain. Good for balance, but still.

Quite fancy getting a very tanky character. Start with +2 Health, spend two levels on the Health increases, get the defensive skills and of course kit him out with shield and mail (upgraded to the magical versions whenever possible). That's one tough character.

The shooting skills and a crossbow for a one-shot attack also certainly sound powerful.

Ah well. Whatever I end up with will probably be determined by the coolest model I can find, then base the skills and equipment on that!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
The shooting skills and a crossbow for a one-shot attack also certainly sound powerful.

Ah well. Whatever I end up with will probably be determined by the coolest model I can find, then base the skills and equipment on that!

I think that a ranged Captain accompanied by ranged soldiers would be viable for a round of volley firing.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »
I'm planning to fire fire the first volley then close with 1-2 solders flanking him with a TH weapon. I think this will net the most "kills" for xp for him :-)

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
I have 4 warbands started and so far I have found room to add 2  Captains to 2 warbands and and both are a Ranger Type. The week I will test one out hopefully. I like the idea of the captain and another archer moving together to hunt down people carrying treasure or just to harass from a far. I think the Captain should be able to rack up some kills for XP.