Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 10:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696199
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What type of Captain will you make?  (Read 8112 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: What type of Captain will you make?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
One with a large and flamboyant hat!
Nicomo Cosca the greatest captain of all, if you don't believe me then have a read of some Joe Abercrombie.
He will keep my Wizard on his toes too, what with his reputation for changing sides!
 :)
Any suggestions on a figure? A pike and Shot era Officer would be my first port of call.

Warlord make a nice one.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 04:56:23 AM »
After some consideration, I think that I'm going to go with:  +1 Fight, Hand Weapon, Leather Armor, Shield, Furious Attack, Leadership.  I'd rather keep his full movement by forgoing Mail Armor so that he can keep up with the majority of the other Soldiers and use his leadership.  The loss of one point of armor isn't the end of the world, and my Thaumaturge has the Defense spell anyway.

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 05:54:50 PM »
Warlord make a nice one.
I do love the looks of that one!  Oh, well, what's one more figure for the painting queue?   lol
Mike

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 05:15:22 AM »
So I got two games in with my first Captain. Sword, Dagger, Bow and Leather Armour. I took the +1 Fight as starting and Riposte and Deadeye. She killed 2 Soldiers, 1 creature and the Frost Worm. I used Riposte both games to save my life and used Deadeye to kill a Soldier. She survived both times and mainly ran around with an Archer.

Before this I was worried about the loot she would get and after I don't think it is that bad. I can see once you level them up they can be pretty brutal.

I really want to try my captain with Hand Weapon, Shield, Mail and a Crossbow.

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »
The game is sorely lacking a ~12" ranged weapon, which would satisfy people wanting to represent throwing axes, throwing knives, shurikens, flintlock pistols, crossbow pistols, etc.  It's not the end of the world, but I hope such a thing gets added.

Thaw of the Lich Lord introduces javelineer with 10" range, so the muster is already available.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 02:34:30 PM »
Thaw of the Lich Lord introduces javelineer with 10" range, so the muster is already available.

For some reason I thought that the javelin range was 18", or something like that.  I suppose that could work then.  Technically speaking, can wizards, apprentices, or captains even use javelins?  I don't recall seeing that as an option for the captain, or whether the javelin had an entry stating such within Thaw.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »
Javelin is not "officially" listed as an option for Wiz/App/Capt but I'm hoping it's just an oversight. I don't see how it would be a problem though if a magic variant came out it might be interesting.
Javelin has the distinction of being both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon but any advantage is covered by it's short range and cost over your starting free hand weapon.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
I suppose I didn't pay all that much attention to the javelin rules.  Those rules (shorter range and ability to use in melee) would work, but there needs to be magical variants.  I would like to see a weapon that could work as a hand crossbow or pistol, with 12" range, ability to use in combat, and maybe a +1 damage bonus (or none, depending upon balance).

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 03:15:56 AM »
What starting character upgrade do you use the most?

I tend to always use the +1 Fight.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 03:41:29 AM »
I take +1 Shoot for ranged shanigans, with the +3 trick that's as good as a bone dart spell and if I can get the extra cash I get a +1 shoot x-box for +6, I usually grab the +3 fight trick to start but the first one I buy is the +1 after roll trick for a whooping +7 shot that's practically an elemental bolt.

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 04:30:23 AM »
Anyone given their captain a magic item? If so which one? We have house ruled that replacing a weapon or armour with a magic version doesn't count towards the limit, but I am still thinking of what else to add to them.

My armour Captain I am thinking of a ring of armour or maybe gloves of strength.

My Ranger type of Captain I am unsure, maybe a ring of teleport.

Although a Fate Stone seems pretty good, kinda goes along with their tricks.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »
With up to 5 items the sky is the limit depending on what you are going for.

Here's what my Captain would like to have eventually.
+1 Shoot X-Bow
+1 Armor Mail
+2 Fight Sword
Fate stone
Gloves of Strength

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 03:27:32 PM »
This thread has continued for three pages, and not one of you is going to make a Captain Obvious with obvious equipment?

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »
Starting to get tempted to load one out with Grenades (and some basic equipment). Good fun and might allow him/her to take some figures out in one mighty blast.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Soss

• Assistant
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »
I had a friend put a grenade potion on his treasure hunter and it was quite a surprise for me. With a Captain you good he a couple of them.

I have though about using the starting shoot stat, I just feel fight is so useful. I do like the idea of getting a shot up to the level of elemental bolt. Makes me tempted to try it. I think it could keep the captain alive longer.