Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 35041 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
No 31 (???)

Can't believe this hasn't come up already...

Squeezing that Vallejo paint bottle to deposit a small bead of paint on the palette, only to find it is blocked, so squeezing a little bit more forcefully, only to find a tiny little bit seeps out - but aha! It must be coming, so give that bottle just one more good sharp squeeze - and watch as the completely congested stopper flies out, followed by the entire contents of the bottle, spraying paint over everything, including one's self, and all the half finished and nearly finished models in the vicinity...
Not saying i'm unbelievably dumb sometimes, but I must have done that at least half a dozen  times... I'm always so sure it's just about to produce the paint I need, then BANG! Disaster...  ::) lol

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »
Mixing a 'tiny' bit of greenstuff to fill an almost imperceptible gap, only to find you are left over with ten times the amount you needed in the first place!

I swear more than 50% of the stuff I buy gets rolled into little balls or laces for unspecified miscellaneous uses at a later date ;)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2016, 07:49:10 PM »
Squeezing that Vallejo paint bottle to deposit a small bead of paint on the palette, only to find it is blocked, so squeezing a little bit more forcefully, only to find a tiny little bit seeps out - but aha! It must be coming, so give that bottle just one more good sharp squeeze - and watch as the completely congested stopper flies out, followed by the entire contents of the bottle, spraying paint over everything, including one's self, and all the half finished and nearly finished models in the vicinity...
Not saying i'm unbelievably dumb sometimes, but I must have done that at least half a dozen  times... I'm always so sure it's just about to produce the paint I need, then BANG! Disaster...  ::) lol

Oh yes, I can second every single point of that, including being unbelievably dumb to repeat it more than half a dozen times... >:(

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
No. 32....  Drilling with a pin vise in the arm of a lead miniature .  I manage to drill halfway through and then the bit drives straight through the arm and into my finger hitting the bone.   The ER doc was extremely upset that at the age of fifteen I was working with lead as he had to remove a chunk of it from the wound.  My father let him know that I was reloading ammunition at that age so the doc let it drop.  No ill effects to this day aside from the twitch. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 02:22:28 AM »
Nu. 33 - Trying to re position an arm on a figure like you did when they were lead just to have it break off I so hated it when they stopped using lead which was so easily bent without out breaking.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2016, 05:16:25 AM »
Nr 34: assembling a multi part figure, being too impatient to pin it, glueing an arm or something to it and holding it in position for five minutes and then walk off to get a cup of coffee, only to see on your return that the arm has now slowly sunk into the wrong position and the glue has now firmly dried completely....
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:19 AM »
Nr 35. Spilling paint on ones clothes, then to avoid the shoutyness from the wife, mixing paint to match the colour of what I was wearing to paint over it. Just about got away with it.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2016, 06:39:06 AM »
Nr 35. Spilling paint on ones clothes, then to avoid the shoutyness from the wife, mixing paint to match the colour of what I was wearing to paint over it. Just about got away with it.
Roling on the floor laughing my arse off  lol
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
No. 36

Just last night:

Removing the plastic shaft of a 54mm lance and replacing it with a foundry steel spear. Pressing the pennant down onto the spear push too hard and have the spear go straight into my finger - blood everywhere...
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 09:03:43 AM »
No. 37

Your Greenstuff and/or Milliput sticking to EVERYTHING (fingers, tools, workbench etc.) other than the model you want it to stick to.

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Not saying i'm unbelievably dumb sometimes, but I must have done that at least half a dozen  times... I'm always so sure it's just about to produce the paint I need, then BANG! Disaster...  ::) lol

Two times.

The first was a nice red. believe it or not, it hit the door more than 4 meters away.
Easily cleaned.

The second time, few weeks ago, was a dark earth pot, and it splashed all over the walls that were freshly painted few WEEKS before!
I had to run frantically to the cellar, retrieve the wall paint, run back at home, stir the paint, repaint the "camoed" surfaces, put away the wall paint, and say "Ciao darling, how are you?" while the door opens, in few minutes. :o
I think I lost some years of life...  o_o

Marco
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:07:30 AM by Remgain »

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 11:16:18 AM »
38 using the dipping method and finding that your hands, the table, the brush and everything else you touch is sticky for the next few hours.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
No 39. Remembering not to use large tubs of paint

Sandtex masonry paint to be precise. Was painting a castle wall straight from a 7.5ltr tub of the stuff whilst it was on the edge of the table. Needless to say I knocked it off and spent over six hours scrubbing, scraping and mopping the carpet  ::)

I am glad to say that my hard work paid off and you couldn't tell afterwards.

Also needless to say, I decant everything into smaller receptacles now  :-I

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »

I still find spots of cork brown in odd corners of the room.

Nr 34: assembling a multi part figure, being too impatient to pin it, glueing an arm or something to it and holding it in position for five minutes and then walk off to get a cup of coffee, only to see on your return that the arm has now slowly sunk into the wrong position and the glue has now firmly dried completely....

Irritating. Somehow it happens whether you use superglue on metal or poly cement on plastic.

No. 37

Your Greenstuff and/or Milliput sticking to EVERYTHING (fingers, tools, workbench etc.) other than the model you want it to stick to.

Every.

Time.

I usually put grooves or scratches into the surface of hardened putty, to give fresh stuff something to grip to. But when I'm trying to stick on a tiny bit of putty it's still not enough. It's gotten so I gap-fill the groove, rivet hole etc. first (cram it in there with less concern about being delicate) so the putty for the actual rivet or whatever has something that'll stick to it.

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
r 35. Spilling paint on ones clothes, then to avoid the shoutyness from the wife, mixing paint to match the colour of what I was wearing to paint over it. 

I wish I'd thought of that. 
Alea Iacta Est