Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 35011 times)

Offline cgh

• Librarian
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
#49:  Leaving your beautifully painted but as yet unvarnished models on the table while you wash your hands to hear a "clunk" and turn to see your cat swatting them to the floor.

I love my dog.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:55:35 PM by cgh »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 09:39:08 PM »
Nr 35. Spilling paint on ones clothes, then to avoid the shoutyness from the wife, mixing paint to match the colour of what I was wearing to paint over it. Just about got away with it.

Roling on the floor laughing my arse off  lol

The pressure was on. If my cunning plan had failed (after the shriekage had subsided) I would been made to wear an apron  :(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:47:42 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
 lol lol lol lol

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread and have a new 'incident type' to add to the list of calamities.

Number 50
I had blocked in the main colours of 6 x 28mm minis and wanted them to dry quickly so I could ink them (patience isn't a virtue I tend to deploy when it comes to the hobby).
So cunningly I put them in front of a fan heater - not really close but too close as it turned out, on returning to them from painting the next 6  it had been  powerful enough to melt/ warp most of the plastic bases. Fortunately the minis themselves were metal so didn't warp however plenty of the  freshly applied paint chipped/flaked off as I prized them off the now Quatermass looking bases.

If you think thats bad a mate of mine did a similar thing drying his Chaos Defiler- and that is plastic! Needless to say it ended up not looking like the GW advertised model.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:24:34 PM by pbjunky1 »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
No. 51 Drying freshly painted figures outside, not realising that the wind, despite helping to dry the figures was also quite content to reform the recently mown grass clippings into a sort of oversized ghillie suit on the still wet figures, which would have been fine if they weren't gladiators.

Online Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2016, 01:36:10 AM »
Not mine fortunately, but a mate.

No. 52  Painting a platoon of 1/72 plastic US that needed to be used that weekend and putting them in the oven only to discover, a while later than you had forgotten them and they had melted.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2016, 03:26:33 AM »
No.53 - A slip of a scalpel while cutting some figures from a sprue ended in a deep cut in my left ring finger. Since it wouldn't stop bleeding even when compressed and I was ruining the miniatures and the table with all the blood, I decided to superglue the wound. I had the superglue right there and I had seem the movie "Dog Soldiers" a short time ago (they use superglue on a stomach wound) so I did it.

Ended up with a big scar; no sensation on the tip of the finger and a warning from my medic saying that I should have gone to the hospital to get that stitched right away. My brother says that I should have shouted "Blood For the Blood God" while bleeding into the miniatures and call it a highlight!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:01:28 PM by Predatorpt »

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2016, 05:48:21 AM »
I like to emphasize the following:
"... since it wouldn't stop bleeding and I was ruining the miniature ..."
First thought to the minis, now that's the spirit.  lol

Guys, love it.  :D
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:55 AM »
Please, please, please don't stop this club after a hundred entries! It's one of my favourite threads on here at the moment! lol
As long as we keep doing daft things, no risk of that happening I guess... :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2016, 06:39:18 AM »
lol Yes we are

No. 19: tipping my dirty glass of water to clean my brush over.
Over the minis. Over the keyboard. Down behind the desk. Behind the book shelf. I had no idea how much water a glass can hold until this happened. Twice.

[Yorkshire dialect] Luxury! In my day we thought were*lucky* when we spilt a cup of steaming hot tea over our freshly painted miniatures. How about...
No 20: tipping a jar of liquid cement over your painted polystyrene miniatures
[/Yorkshire dialect]

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »
No 54. The leg snap.

I think we've all done this to some extent when making something... Sat at my desk a few years ago I dropped my scalpel and instantly snapped my legs together to catch it; an action performed a thousand times before to catch any falling debris from the table. Brain didn't register it was a scalpel the legs were trying to catch until it was already embedded in my thigh. Fortunately it was a Xacto style knife and only went in so far, if it were a brass handled one I imagine a trip to A+E would have been necessary  ::)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
I honestly can't choose which of the last batch to quote!  lol lol lol
No. 55 The Short Stirling's first flight

Long time ago, when I was a kid, I was given the lovely old Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling kit, which I diligently assembled. It took pride of place in my room, on top of a not-too-high wardrobe, safe from being accidentally dragged over the side, but still in view. One summer the formica top parted company from the wardrobe, the glue having given up its contest with Maltese summer temperatures, and the Stirling took off for its first - and last - flight....

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
No 56 The Churchill crunch
Another old one - I'd assembled a Churchill tank kit, with all those little bogies holding the tracks. At some point I glued something to the main hull, held the model tightly to apply a rubber band to hold the bit while the glue cured. The Churchill disintegrated, sending bogies flying all over the place.

No 56b - The axle bender
Not quite the same, or as spectacular, as the Churchill crunch, happened a number of times when fitting a too tight track to the delicate idlers (it's always the idlers for some reason), resulting in the idler flying off or - much worse - the axle holding it snapping.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:28:49 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
56 - I wish I'd thought of that earlier...

Finish scratch building a model (Steam lorry in this case) then thinking - I was going to put that driver in there... and some interior details. 
Then having to build and assemble the bits 'ship-in -a-bottle' style through the available gap.

Then about a week later building another steam lorry and doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

57 - Hidden details

I built a very nice gun for my railgun - the breech opens and the recoil mech slides.  Loads of details on the breech and so on.
Then building the gun shield and finding it hides all the detail completely! 
I know it's there... mumble mumble.

58 - Stuck on you

Casing some little resin bits, I've got loads of tiny moulds I use for wheels and so on.  They only take a few grams of resin so I tend to pour them when I get 5 mins.  In my PJs  and dressing gown one morning I managed to drag both cuffs across a freshly poured mould full.  The resin only takes about 10 mins to dry but it does get warm.  Then sat down to surf the internet...  wrists are a bit warm...  and now partially glued to the laptop... no harm done but the cuffs are a bit crusty still. It's resin honest!

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »
59.  Resting needle nosed pliers on my thigh in between uses, forgetting they were there when I stood up to go to the loo.  Neatly impaled the top of my foot, luckily not too deep for an A&E visit.
Alea Iacta Est