Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) tre manor plastic viking for WarBands of the Cold North- CANCELLED  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
I've to say that i rather agree with TWD about the price-per-figure point.
However, as they said before RGB models are of a totally different league than perry, GB and similar. They were - till this point - meant to be all uinque and incredibly characterized models, with a level of sculpting details - and casting quality - that is far above any plastic or metal from perry and friends. Ok, tastes are tastes, and lots of people love the style of perry miniatures - i do as well - but it's really hard to consider this models at their level, while they usually are compared with Enigma, Tales of War, CMon, and all the typical high-tier companies selling models for 8-9£ each.
From that point of view, buying RBG models for little more than 2£ is a great deal.

Still, once you sell super-characterized models meant to be used for high-level painting, i really don't see why selling three sprues of identical pieces. As Captain said, head swaps aren't multi-part models.

I'd be happy to split the KS with other two people right now, or wait here on the bazaar for people willing to sell a spare sprue.

Cheers
Jack

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Well, I know that Tre had a complete mare with some of his early KS experiences and it left him severely out of pocket, not to mention on the verge of quitting the entire business. If that means he prefers to err on the side of caution as regards pricing, then I can see that. Obviously I want nice things as cheaply as possible, but it seems to be a prudent move.

He's also never dealt in plastic before, so this looks like a toe dipped in the water. I for one am happier to see the reduced versatility if it means fewer compromises are made in the sculpting (one of the things about Redbox models is their dynamism and 'fluid' posing). It does probably mean fewer people will buy in bulk, but I suspect this is aimed at the skirmish gamers anyway.

It's okay not to like it, or question why it's priced as it's priced, or why it's sculpted as it's sculpted. Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. 
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Looks like the sceptics called this one right, he's pulled the plug.

A pity, because I think they would have sold well, just perhaps not in the numbers required to turn a decent profit and cover the initial outlay for plastics. I do love Tre Manor's work and own a fair few of his Njorns, but I think he sometimes struggles to make good business decisions.

I don't understand why we never saw completed models, or even graphics of completed models.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
I wish Tre would keep sculpting great minis, expand his current lines, and update his website with high res photos of nicely painted minis. One week it is plastics, the previous his own rule set and book, a new scale, a dream project he keeps a complete secret... ::)

The guy is a brilliant sculptor. Look at what Kev White did with Hasslefree, and do that. Start small, do everything consistently well, and you should make it.

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
Start small, do everything consistently well, and you should make it.

That makes good sense to me, good business model too I guess.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Looks like the sceptics called this one right, he's pulled the plug.

A pity, because I think they would have sold well, just perhaps not in the numbers required to turn a decent profit and cover the initial outlay for plastics. I do love Tre Manor's work and own a fair few of his Njorns, but I think he sometimes struggles to make good business decisions.

I don't understand why we never saw completed models, or even graphics of completed models.

Neat, Cubs wrote down my exact thoughts.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/warbands-of-the-cold-north-ii-epic-fantasy-viking

And it's back! The same basic set, but now all in metal (more expensive of course) and with pics of full sculpts.

I like it and he can now have even more of my money.

Offline DCallan

• Assistant
I agree with many points made by TWD.  Simply, I don't care if it is a startup company or a well established one, there is a competitive price point for miniatures.  If I can find the same quality for less money, that's what I will be purchasing. 

Lesson -- don't over price products because the sympathy vote will not get you very far.

My views may be harsh, but realistic I believe.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
If I can find the same quality for less money

Good luck! :D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Looks like this one is going to hit the (more modest) target quite comfortably. Just over a day after it was relaunched and it only has a couple of hundred to go.

Offline DCallan

• Assistant
Good luck! :D

Unfortunately I have found too many reasonably priced miniatures of quality that I can barely keep up painting.  Thanks a lot Saxon Miniatures, Foot Sore Miniatures, Perry Miniatures, and Gripping Beast -- must resist temptation... until Salute. :D

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
If I can find the same quality for less money, that's what I will be purchasing. 

There are no plastic sets with the quality that that set would have.
However, people buying plastic aren't after that quality, and the detail itself are countered by the limited number of poses, so probably he was producing something without a market for it.

Unfortunately I have found too many reasonably priced miniatures of quality that I can barely keep up painting.  Thanks a lot Saxon Miniatures, Foot Sore Miniatures, Perry Miniatures, and Gripping Beast -- must resist temptation... until Salute. :D
That is the point: You don't need the quality of Tre Manor when painting plastic, therefore you don't want to pay 3$ a mini, and that it's legit! :)

However it doesn't remain fair to compare perry sets and Tre's sculptures, it's simply another kind of product, just maybe sharing the casting material.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
I like the new formula much better. Was the frostgrave-ish feel already in the first plastic project?
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer