Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any Plastics for Sub/Late Roman Brits?  (Read 22425 times)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: Any Plastics for Sub/Late Roman Brits?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »
Not sold on them, and to be honest compared to Perry's and Victrix the whole GB Plastic range is a real miss in my opinion. 

The armoured Saxons are pretty decent, especially if you get a good join on the arm/shoulder. But yeah, in the main and excepting those you mention, plastic historicals are pretty sub-standard. Then again, it's not material dependent, there are loads of dodgy metal sculpts around too, which punters seem happy with.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »
Next up are plastic Late Roman Cavalry as well as Plastic Goths.

I'm happy enough with them except for the faces, like I said in my other post, they look kinda catoonish which is odd as I don't recall any other work by him looking like that.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »
I'm happy enough with them except for the faces, like I said in my other post, they look kinda catoonish which is odd as I don't recall any other work by him looking like that.

I'm afraid I think most of his stuff has that look to it. But these things are subjective, I appreciate  :)

Next up are plastic Late Roman Cavalry as well as Plastic Goths.

Plastic goths? Excellent. You can get them already you know...

(Sorry - couldn't resist ;))

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
Their pretty cool! Sadly I doubt they are 28mm and I cant find an army list that has giant Goths in it....so their out!

I rather like the priests he done in metal recently, didn't like the mounted Arabs but was happy enough with the plastic Arab foot and the Dark Age plastics, although they lack detail quite a bit. If the Goths don't have the exaggerated looking faces of these Romans then I'll likely be happy with them too.

Like you say these things are subjective.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »

These are magnificent and I'll buy a ton of them.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »
Personally, I prefer faces with some character. I find current Perry faces difficult to paint in many cases because they are small and delicate. I have seen and heard this kind of comment from other people. For example, Christy from "Wargames, Soldiers, and Strategy" mentioned it in one her You Tube Q&A sessions (at the 19:44 point):

I love Perry plastics, but on balance prefer to paint Victrix faces, which tend to have more character. It certainly is possible that the great painters on this forum are more comfortable painting current Perry faces.

I think it is likely a true 28mm image would tone down the exaggerated feature on the Gripping Beast Late Roman 3ups.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:24:49 PM by delbruck »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
I think it is likely a true 28mm image would tone down the exaggerated feature on the Gipping Beast Late Roman 3ups.

I think that's a fair point. They will probably look less extreme when reduced to the correct end scale.

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »
The armoured Saxons are pretty decent, especially if you get a good join on the arm/shoulder. But yeah, in the main and excepting those you mention, plastic historicals are pretty sub-standard. Then again, it's not material dependent, there are loads of dodgy metal sculpts around too, which punters seem happy with.

The best thing about the hobby is that we are spoiled for choice these days, and each can pick and choose their poison !

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2016, 11:24:54 PM »
Too true we are a hard to please lot.   I was a little disappointed in the GB Dark Age warriors, added some sidearms and they did paint up well.   Be interested to see what GB does with their Gothic and Vandal cavalry.   Now if Victrix would include Gauls in their foreshadowed releases...............I am still on the hunt for a suitable mounted Decebalus and entourage for my Dacians and perhaps combining Victrix Gallic heads with GB's mounted might give me a suitable command group.  Here's hoping.

Offline Longstrider

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2016, 01:54:43 AM »
I've bought and played around with all the GBP sets minus the Saxon Thegns so far, and the Frostgave sets. I get the critique about the style - they are very distinct - I think a little cartoony - but in my mind Saga plays like a cartoon, and plays very well for what it is.

Agema's Republican Romans and the Warlord née Immortal Hoplites are in my books the finest plastic figures, though some of the Perry stuff isn't far behind, but when I want something a little over the top, I think the GBP plastics suit me.

All that said, I think their weakest point is the shoulders - more mundane heads are easy to source, but I find that if I'm not paying careful attention it's very easy to get arm poses that look very strange.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »
Spoiled for choice would be an understatement!

Aside from these superb looking plastic figures, we have Maestro Paul Hicks bringing out a new Late Roman range, Crusader bringing out a new Sub-Roman/Arthurian/Late Roman range, Curteys adding to their sub-Roman ranges, Saxon Miniatures expanding their exquisite Winter King range  and so on.
And then there is Aventine 'threatening' to release early 'Byzantines' (read Late East Romans)
Don't forget the rather nice sets by Black Tree! Often overlooked but some really great figures in there!
The West Wind unarmoured Arthurian figures have a few fantastic poses and their separate headsets are a godsend.

The conversion possibilities don't just end with the now abundant plastic figures. For example I really like the Footsore Late Roman figures but found them lacking in poses somewhat. Simply removing their right arm (done easily enough) and replacing it with a suitable mailed one from the plastic GB Thegns, netted me some really nice 'new' figures.
Of course I'm now looking at 'expanding' the Footsore unarmoured levies and Milites too...

I for one feel like I'm in a candy shop with a blank cheque.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2016, 10:36:51 AM »
Well said Willie.

When I were a lad we had to settle for Minfigs :) I wonder if my army is still out there being used anger somewhere?

We are indeed spoiled, and act like spoiled children at times too, never satisfied :)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
Curiously, I'd wished Gripping Beast had stayed with Colin Patten's understated yet historically informed style. We may be spoilt for choice these days, but some mass-marketed (plastic) minis have an irritating tendency to become trademarked caricatures. That's perhaps related to people saying "Oh, finally, new SAGA/Bolt Action/*random 'system'* models!". o_o

In essence, I'm glad LAF isn't limited to a round of applause for each new release just because it is new and shiny and we all – well, sort of – remember the barren days of old. ;)

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
Foundry metal Vikings sculpted by Mark Simms could be almost described as fantasy caricatures. A lot of people like them. On the other hand Gripping plastic Dark Ages figures (Thegns, Hirdmen, and Warriors) seem fairly "understated and historically informed" to me. I have to admit, though, that  I do have my problems with all the boxes. For example, the shoulders and neck anatomy of many of the dark the warriors seem flawed. The hunched appearance doesn't look quite right.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:50:42 PM by delbruck »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
I was assuming they were hiding behind their shields. :D I love the plastic kits but they certainly do have their limitations, even the very nice kits like Perry's and Victirix.