Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:37:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694536
  • Total Topics: 118614
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any Plastics for Sub/Late Roman Brits?  (Read 22555 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: Any Plastics for Sub/Late Roman Brits?
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
After painting Vikings and Saxons I can say that low details on the face could be a problem with GB plastics - especially when in helmet and with beard..

So I am expecting that these faces  it will be a welcome thing in 28mm..

Offline JW. Akers

• Student
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
I especially like the vexillarius wearing the pileus cap. I'm wondering about the ratio of armored figs to unarmored and archers in each box. This has been my favorite period for over twenty years and it looks like there's going to be some new recruits for my exercitus!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to the release  :)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
Now on pre-order for Salute:

(news link on the Beast's HP)

HVM, who's also a fellow member of LAF methinks, got some pre-release sprues, photos here on German Sweetwater forum.

Still underwhelmed, to be honest. :?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
Barely multi-part at all these  :(

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:47 PM »
Barely multi-part at all these  Sad

Indeed, less and less goodies inside for swapping to others. :'(
Still, i think they are not bad at all.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »
I actually quite like these and GB's armored plastics, although I did find the unarmored Vikings to be a let-down (that more to do with very limited and stiff poses than anything else).  I don't have any particular interest in late Romans, but I could easily see myself grabbing a set to make a SAGA warband, which will probably require at least some alternate heads, but the model breakdown from armored to unarmored to archers is perfect, and much preferable to budget SAGA warband building than the previous model that required parts from multiple boxes.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »
For me they look the part, but the limited number of parts, and the fact that the Roman patterns are indented into the fabric really limits their kitbashing options, which while not the primary function of any kit, certainly helps give them a wider appeal.

If I had a greater interest in late Romans I might be more excited by these. I hope they do well and keep producing more plastics. :)

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
I am quite disappointed with the make up of the sprue. 40% archers with a fixed shooting arm is excessive. One of the unarmoured figures could have been used to be either a spearmen or a loading archer (such as they have in the Arab box). One buys Romans for their heavy infantry, not for their archers. In addition, one head with a cap and one bareheaded is inadequate.  With all the space left on the command sprue more heads could have been easily added.

I have come to the conclusion that only Perry and Victrix are interested in making full use of  the potential of plastics. All the others seem to do the bare minimum required. In my mind, the thing that saves the box is the potential for kit bashing some of their other boxes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:09:16 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that only Perry and Victrix are interested in making full use of  the potential of plastics. All the others seem to do the bare minimum required.

Totally.
Such a shame.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »
Personally (and I realise I'm in a minority here) I think fewer options and less multi-parts is the way to go.
For the talented amongst us like Captain Blood and others then the multi-part is clearly a boon. But for the rest of us ham-fisted poltroons we end up having to do the work of skilled sculptors and most of us fall short and end up with ill made poses.
I think it's an illusion of choice, not a real benefit for most of us.

Note the way that Victrix (and to a lesser extent the Perries) have moved away from the customisability of the early Napoleonic sets to (mostly) march attack and head swaps. Just 3 bits to put together that even eejits like me can't mess up.

Obviously this is something of a personal taste preference, some like the modelling experience and opportunities more than others. I always *think* I'll enjoy the possibilities of assembly a lot more than I actually do in practice. :)

I also think the multi-partedness leads to compromises - a couple of the Arab bodies were clearly intended for archery but were multi-part so you could stick a spear or javelin on them and it would look pretty ropy.

I am personally very fond of the old Perry WFB starter set single piece (or separate spear) plastics from the 5th and 6th edition starter sets. Enough variation to be interesting, but only able to go together in a way that makes nice looking soldiers (within the limits of the tech of the time).

I also happen to think that for Napoleonics and the more regimented types of ancients (like Romans) you want them in similar poses that rank up nice and easy. Hordes of barbarians maybe you want more variation, but I manage to get that with metals where there are usually only 3-4 real variations in any given code/range.

My main question about this specific set is did every single roman unit and soldier of this period have tunics with large circles sewn into them? Surely this is the kind of thing you'd prefer to paint on to the clothing. I've not seen it represented on any of the various metal late roman ranges, so I'm genuinely puzzled by that particular design choice.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »

My main question about this specific set is did every single roman unit and soldier of this period have tunics with large circles sewn into them? Surely this is the kind of thing you'd prefer to paint on to the clothing. I've not seen it represented on any of the various metal late roman ranges, so I'm genuinely puzzled by that particular design choice.

Which is about the only thing I don't really like about this set. A few tunics with the round clavii were found but it is highly probable that numerous other designs(such as squares, oblongs or even simple stripes) were used as well. It somewhat limits the possibilities with this set but then again the newest (metal) Late Roman range from Paul Hicks has them too. As did the older Foundry Late Romans.
I suppose one could at least make a few Legios and Auxilia Palatina with these roundels in different colours without it becoming too repetitive. And perhaps it relatively easy to just fill in the engraved details with a quick dab of Magic Sculp. Would have liked some more with the pilleus cap as well but you can't have everything.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Wookington

• Assistant
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2016, 12:50:28 AM »
I must say I would have preferred slightly more in the way of armoured bodies 8 just seems too few per box, maybe they could have had 8 unarmoured spears or archers instead.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2016, 05:51:29 AM »
I also happen to think that for Napoleonics and the more regimented types of ancients (like Romans) you want them in similar poses that rank up nice and easy.

I suspect that was the reasoning. Anyone collecting a Roman army will buy loads of these and the figure mix of one armoured rank, two unarmoured and one archer, is very much the mix many people go for, right or wrong. They are apparently disciplined, hence the regimented poses.

Modellers might buy a box to play around with, while someone who is building an army buys more and wants to put them together quickly, paint them up and get them in play. No prizes for guessing who is the cash cow for this range.

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2016, 07:57:58 AM »
Initially was very excited about this release but not so much now due to the high number of archers and limited kit-bash opportunities - could achieve better with metal shields and heads on the Anglo-Dane bodies.

Missed opportunity