Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombies pictures from Wargames Factory  (Read 11870 times)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Re: Zombies pictures from Wargames Factory
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »
Personally I don't understand the hate-fest for these models, I've seen people on these forums be excited by much much worse models. (I also don't understand why anyone would want a male only zombie sprue for that matter...) And these are pretty decent zombies.

Besides these aren't close to being finished yet. I'm guessing in their excitement that their program had a hit so quickly that they wanted to rush out some renders before they were really ready. It's unfortunate because it seems like, true to form, people are rushing right the hell to judgement. (I'm especially surprised at Matakishi's bile.)

Instead of complaining here guys, why don't you go to their forums and put in your feedback if it's really that appalling to you.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline muppetman

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 09:34:39 AM »
Personally I don't understand the hate-fest for these models, I've seen people on these forums be excited by much much worse models. (I also don't understand why anyone would want a male only zombie sprue for that matter...) And these are pretty decent zombies.

Besides these aren't close to being finished yet. I'm guessing in their excitement that their program had a hit so quickly that they wanted to rush out some renders before they were really ready. It's unfortunate because it seems like, true to form, people are rushing right the hell to judgement. (I'm especially surprised at Matakishi's bile.)

Instead of complaining here guys, why don't you go to their forums and put in your feedback if it's really that appalling to you.

No thanks, they sell what they want and i buy what i want.. dont like em, that simple
Its not my fault! it just went off!!

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
Dude, the entire point of the line is to make what people want. If you're not participating you can't complain. :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
I don't think that Matakishi is/was on some sort of mission to attack the company in question, nor would i describe his posts as "bile".

I'd agree with the view, that we can either say nice things (or nothing) about a product that is substandard, and then not buy it, or come out and say what we think - Paul did that (as did I and a number of others, on various forums) and WF have responded, and to their credit made changes which IMHO will result in a better product.

Heads more in proportion to the bodies, than the first set of images, a single gender for all the zombies on the first sprue, and a similar state of decomposition will make it easier to swop pieces between models - whether they are separate torsos/legs or not.

If this results in better sales, then WF will probably consider a second sprue, as Howard mentioned with women/children/dogs.

I've no axe to grind - far from it - if anyone around here wants another source of "fresh corpses" its me, but to fork out a chunk of money (yes its $1 a mini, but i'd want lots) i'd want a product that was usable - if WF deliver that, then i'll buy in bulk.
 :)

Offline muppetman

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »
did you say $1 per mini  :o hahaha.. can't complain hahahaha oh please

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 12:59:16 PM »
Bile?
Some of you are having a problem understanding what I wrote.

If you think the 'figures' in the first photos were fine then by all means go and buy them. If you think the 'figures' in the later pictures are better then that's because people, including me, said we didn't like the originals, and also said why we didn't like them. If we all behaved like you and bought the crap ones that's all that would ever be made and you'd never even get to see the second ones.

I have every right to tell a company that releases photos of a work in progress why I don't like them and to say what changes would make me like them.

You can do the same. It's natural that different people will want different things from a range of models. The manufacturer can look at all the responses and make an informed decision on how to procede.

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:21 PM »
I think we must accept that whatever one thinks of the eventual quality of these minis, people who want to buy, build, and paint them are no stupider than any other miniature hobbyist.

Consider:

My point was that people seem happy to buy a substandard product so that they can spend their own time, money and resources to make it do what it was supposed to do in the first place. I think that's stupid.

Well, that's exactly why I run a miniature painting studio. For people who don't want to spend their own time, money, and resources on trying to turn pewter and plastic bits into painted minis.

Taking unfinished products and adding value ourselves, is precisely the point of what  we do.

Offline muppetman

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
"money"  are you saying you do it for free ::)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »

Consider:

My point was that people seem happy to buy a substandard product so that they can spend their own time, money and resources to make it do what it was supposed to do in the first place. I think that's stupid.

Well, that's exactly why I run a miniature painting studio. For people who don't want to spend their own time, money, and resources on trying to turn pewter and plastic bits into painted minis.

Taking unfinished products and adding value ourselves, is precisely the point of what  we do.

If you're going to quote me you should at least read what I wrote. I've highlighted the relevent bits. painting figures isn't the issue, sculpting parts of them because they're missing, miscast, out of proportion, don't fit, look wrong etc- is. Accepting poor substandard miniatures like the original posted pictures and expecting to have to modify them yourself just to get them up to an acceptable standard before you can even begin to paint them is not something that should be encouraged in my opinion.

I don't believe that if I sent you some figures to be painted and said that I wanted you to sculpt some facial detail on them first because it was missing and sculpt some bulk onto the shoulders because the arms don't fit the torso properly that you wouldn't charge me extra. And yet, according to you and others we should all accept that this is a normal part of, what? Figure preparation? And this is ok because...why? The original figures are cheap so you expect it? How cheap are they once you've used glue, greenstuff and time to get them to an acceptable standard?

Far better to buy properly sculpted figures in the first place. I stand by my first statement.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »

Consider:

If you're going to quote me you should at least read what I wrote. I've highlighted the relevent bits. painting figures isn't the issue, sculpting parts of them because they're missing, miscast, out of proportion, don't fit, look wrong etc- is. Accepting poor substandard miniatures like the original posted pictures and expecting to have to modify them yourself just to get them up to an acceptable standard before you can even begin to paint them is not something that should be encouraged in my opinion.

I don't believe that if I sent you some figures to be painted and said that I wanted you to sculpt some facial detail on them first because it was missing and sculpt some bulk onto the shoulders because the arms don't fit the torso properly that you wouldn't charge me extra. And yet, according to you and others we should all accept that this is a normal part of, what? Figure preparation? And this is ok because...why? The original figures are cheap so you expect it? How cheap are they once you've used glue, greenstuff and time to get them to an acceptable standard?

Far better to buy properly sculpted figures in the first place. I stand by my first statement.

Lets just hope that the critiques from here, frothers and the feedback directly given to the WGF forum are taken onboard...last thing I want to see is a great idea poorly executed. This is supposed to be a directly controlled by the masses product so Wargames Factory listen up:

i) stretch the proportions
ii) Don't go for GW-esque Jazz hand zombies
iii) Don't rely on the computery rendering wow factor and finish the sculpting job properly.
iv) Do make modern zeds that will fit in with the mix found in every modern city and lets have some girls too!

Worst comes to the worst I'll West wind head a good few but would expect to paint and move on really as they will be for bulking up the numbers

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 05:18:46 PM »
Spot on Commander :)

It appears that the first release will concentrate on male zombies with a 'freshly dead' look, thus, I hope, allowing the bits to look like they belong together a little more. This is promising.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »
 :)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
I agree the above photos are not promising...but the other link is much more so.

I realize that's a computer render, but this is what I want....some generic zeds that can be turned into a horde.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 09:34:21 PM »
I agree the above photos are not promising...but the other link is much more so.

I realize that's a computer render, but this is what I want....some generic zeds that can be turned into a horde.

This is the one I saw and me thinks they are canny

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »
Can't say I'm overly impressed so far ( although those heads look pretty good).
It would be nice to see some "Actual" built up minis rather than the computer generated mush.
If nothing else I could find use for some of the parts. A lot of my minis are conversions and having some spare "bits" would cut down on sculpting ( getting lazy in my old age).

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.