Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 12:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696606
  • Total Topics: 118776
  • Online Today: 443
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Necromancer....not very necromantic.  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
Necromancer....not very necromantic.
« on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:29 AM »
SO my Necro is now level 10. But is he a necromancer?

I rolled a Necro based around the art work where there is a necro vs enchanter and there is lots of zombies etc.

I 'can' (but not always) summon ONE zombie, who is super slow but ok armoured. I use him to (eventually) get treasure off the board before summoning a new one, or summoning one to block LOS etc. Other than that I spam Bone Dart as this is my most damaging and easliy castable spell (Until strike dead but at 18 to cast...).

So I feel like my necro is a fairly worse version of an elementalist. Bone dart is not as good as Elemental bolt, and an elementalist has a chance of summoning zombies/ demons if they choose such spells.

Necro hardly feels like the master of the dark arts to me.

Yes I can make my models 'undead' visually, but that is just looks. My guy doesn't feel like the necromancer I wanted.

Does anyone else have this issue with their chosen school of magic? As I am making a new warband and am torn between summoner and enchanter.

Jay.

Offline tys123

• Assistant
Re: Necromancer....not very necromantic.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
I think a skeletal hand coming up out of the ground and grabbing someones foot is rather Necromantic.

It is also probably their best spell.

I have an enchanter and while I do cast spells to boost my soldiers I mainly cast telekenisis to get the treasure closer to me. I also try to summon a  zombie before the game , write a scroll after it and leap my soldiers off the board once they have picked up treasure.

There aren't really any schools where you are better off just casting their spells rather than also mixing in the best ones from allied schools.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
The revenant spell from thaw of the lich lord might help you a bit also, since that allows you to slowly turn you entire warband into undead. But I can see where you are going with this. IF you want to put more critters on the table you could consider a construct (flesh golem, bone golem or what what have you) and summoned creatures (ghosts, spirits and the like) but in the end frostgrave is just not a game where you have hordes of models on the table, however the artwork suggests different.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
Hello,

I have just started with a Summoner and picked spells that I thought helped him summon and control a variety of creatures, so he has the following:-
Elemental Bolt (one to work on but the best shooty spell)
Animate Construct (I figure he is summoning a demonic lifeforce into the mechanical device/body shell)
Raise zombie (Summoning life into a corpse)
Mind Control (I really like this spell and again one to work on)
Leap (Its a summoner spell and it helps move people around quickly)
Possess (It summons a demon into one of your soldiers)
Summon Demon (Its what a summoner is all about)
Familiar (Summon a pet demon)

So with this combination, I think I'm getting to do the most 'Summoning'.
Perhaps your Necro could try something similar, a flesh golem as construct etc?
I do feel your pain in that you aren't able to command numbers of undead, unless you convert your soldiers.

Hope that helps.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
Hello-

I think this game is very necromancer centric actually- necromancy is the art of divining truth from the dead for the purposes of denotation and power: in that respect traveling to a thrice damned city full of the dead and doing everything in your power to gain knowlage and power is pretty gosh darn on target.

I agree that it fails to live up to the "Hollywood" trope, but between the spells aviable and the campaign objective- it feels pretty on point.

As for the lack of undead companions issue- a passive spell that allows him to buy new ghoul or zombie henchmen as an alternative would be my approach as a game designer. (Simple, easy to house rule and easy to implement.)

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:40:11 AM »
Cheers for the input guys. I think as a group (see blog) my painted necromancer bang will be utilised as our 'Lich warband' for NPCs for the campaign (saving some ££). I am going to reroll a Summoner. I REALLY like your loadout John DSD2, many thanks.

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »
Thanks! Glad you like him (Dhul Halasa Demonist very ably assisted by Allat).

After 2 games I can report as follows.
First game was a three sider, Scenario 1 out of the Lich Lord. I got sandwiched and beaten up a bit, though there were promising signs as at the end of the battle additional Imps and Possessed soldiers were starting to get the upper hand (Well that's how it looked to me, the other warbands might have been retiring because they had snaffled nearly all the treasure.) I did get enough to buy myself a Captain (Black Angus, he's always in a foul mood).

Game 2 one on one in the first of the Hunt for the Golem games. My plan of possessing Black Angus and Leaping him into the front line worked pretty well, though Bones of the Earth did hold him up to begin with (The possession gives him F+4 A 15 and he has health 14 so he's pretty tough). He was followed by a stream of Imps (I summoned 3 during the game and they were all killed!). It was a good close game, though I had one good soldier round where Black Angus saw off a Zombie and an Archer and one of the Imps wounded the enemy Necro. Dhul Halasa had a close call due to enemy archer fire and Allat was also wounded but my soldiers came through whole! Plus I got the Golem notes, so really pleased.

If you are building something similar then there are a few spells you might want to interchange, Mind Control, Elemental Bolt and Familiar perhaps, depends on what 'flavour' you like, I could see Brew Potion being extremely useful.

Anyway enough boasting from me, I'll probably take a real thrashing in the next game.

Also, as YPU posted the Revenant spell might help you if you want to stick with a Necro.

Have fun.