Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kaiser and Affuns Sci-fi Challenge Log Extravaganza! (Update 3/11)  (Read 8074 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Kaiser and Affuns Sci-fi Challenge Log Extravaganza! (Update 12/6)
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »
She seems to have the right attitude for the job. I see that you've made again that iridiscent effect on the hair, which I like a lot.
And yes, you're right about the Infinity miniatures. I don't get why the female miniatures have to be considerably skinnier than their male counterparts (even when they are wearing a power-armor), or look like pin-ups if they are profesional soldiers.
And don't get me started on boob-armor or combat heels. Ugh  >:(

Anyway, hoping to see the next issue of your sci-fi cosmic challenge stravaganzza  :D

Again, thanks for the encouraging comments. Very much appreciated, and glad to know you are enjoying the thread. :)

I don't want to derail too much with a discussion on the infinity miniatures; but I agree completely with what you say. To be honest, I just wish they were a bit more varied, both in body types represented and non-strutty poses. It gets a bit silly in some cases. Still, I can see why people like them, and have certainly been very tempted by some. Especially today, as Kaiser was talking about having looked at some  ;D
There's actually a few of their newer stuff (the alguaciles, eg.) that are a lot better re: poses than their older ones.

As for future updates. It's a bit weird in that I appreciate having two weeks to paint up my next entry, but I am really excited to show what I am wokring on off already. And am equally excited to see the next thing Kaiser has planned. We talked about it today and he made it sound particularly awesome.

I might do a smaller update with some civilians I am working on, if I get the time to paint them this week or the next. Or possibly a little blog with some thought on the rules I'll use with my miniatures, though that is nowhere near as exiting as painted stuff.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »
Wow.  :-*  That Olaf conversion is fantastic, hope you don't mind if I steal that idea for my Fallout project (as I happen to have both Tau and Frostgrave plastics...)  :D

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »
Wow.  :-*  That Olaf conversion is fantastic, hope you don't mind if I steal that idea for my Fallout project (as I happen to have both Tau and Frostgrave plastics...)  :D

Thank you. Feel free to use it. You'll need a bit of green stuff work on the left arm, but it's pretty straight forward.

She seems to have the right attitude for the job. I see that you've made again that iridiscent effect on the hair, which I like a lot.

I can tell you, that the hair looks even better up close in real life.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »
Ok, I acquired the dreaded man-flu, but felt better today, so I painted this guy in three hours time. You can't really see the paint job properly because of the light, but I will take a better picture tomorrow and write him a backstory.

Anyway, it's an old Rackham model for which I lost the arm, so I made him a robotic arm.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:17:55 PM by kaiser »

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »
I was just about to poke you  :D Good job on pulling through despite the flu-attack!

He looks really cool. Interesting that we've both gone with a sniper for our first mini. The robotic arm works really well: If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd have thought it was an original part of the miniature.

I need to have a proper look on the leather; It's a bit hard to make out properly due to the light, but from what I can see, and what we talked about last time, it seems really interesting.

This just makes me even more excited to see the rest of the crew.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
I was just about to poke you  :D Good job on pulling through despite the flu-attack!

He looks really cool. Interesting that we've both gone with a sniper for our first mini. The robotic arm works really well: If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd have thought it was an original part of the miniature.

I need to have a proper look on the leather; It's a bit hard to make out properly due to the light, but from what I can see, and what we talked about last time, it seems really interesting.

This just makes me even more excited to see the rest of the crew.

He was a lot of fun to paint, I think you would have liked painting the coat. I'm pretty happy about the leather. I used this model for trying out different types of leather (black, red, green orange) but it's not so glossy when in a better light, so I really want to show it to you in hand.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it first hand :)

Ill have to be quick about my mini, as I'll be away on sunday. So the pressure is on there.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »

Ill have to be quick about my mini, as I'll be away on sunday. So the pressure is on there.

I thought you were way ahead.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »
Haven't got too much time to do a write up, but I did manage to paint up my mini (Shush about the base):

The picture, again, is not too great. And made even more difficult to take by me choosinga  predominantly black colour-scheme and photographing the mini without having matt varnished it as well.
Its another East Riding miniature. Again, pretty neat overall. This one is less crude than the other. Good fun to paint.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
Re: Kaiser and Affuns Sci-fi Challenge Log Extravaganza! (Update 26/6)
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
This one is home made from one of those little toy farm animals.

His name is Steve. Steve was a munitions and explosives expert, but he blew himself up. Lucky (or not) for him his gang's leader loves experimenting in health and science, so he operated Steve's brain, lungs and heart into a pig from a high tech butchery. So Steve, besides still having a human mind in a pig's body also has an extra pair of ribs, more bacon, yum!

Steve is a little bummed out that they chose a sows body for his organs, though.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Oooo - I found a little gem! Nice painting guys.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 11:29:35 AM »
You should start considering to take group photos or making little dioramas :)

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 06:44:52 PM »
Thanks guys!

You should start considering to take group photos or making little dioramas :)

We had two games yesterday with a total of nine figures, and I snapped some pictures. Here are mine with a sneak peak at my next entry. They were shot to pieces by Affun's squad. The observant viewer will be able to spot one of his squad members somewhere in the photo.

A couple of law enforcers discussing how to deal with the scavanger cyborgs they have detected in the ruins of Old Town.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 07:07:59 PM »
Those sneaky bastards from law enforcement...
Which ruleset were you using?

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »
Those sneaky bastards from law enforcement...
Which ruleset were you using?

Indeed.. We usually play fantasy, and when we do that in small scale games our go-to rules are Songs of Blades and Heroes. For this game we used the scifi/post apoc supplement called Mutants and Death Ray Guns.