Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm dieselpunk, Diorama p.22  (Read 75746 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: 6mm miyazaki fantasy project. Some terain tests.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »
And a large SD ironclad limping into harbour  :D

Don't have to explain anything do I.  lol

Love Miyazaki.

Looks like we all do here.

In the mean time I'm still wondering at rules. I like horizon war, but I'm not if it would work with Napoleonic infantry and super-heavy airships vs bug swarms. In the mean time I'm looking at the Hordes of the Empire mod for HotT, Though I'm still not sure I actually like HotT.

I have the core book for earonef, and wasn't that impressed. I know there are a number of rules expansions for it and I believe there is a land ironclad book that works with it. Would that be worth taking a look at for this? Does it have monster rules or at least rules for say barbaric tribes and elephants that I could re-purpose?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
Don't have to explain anything do I.  lol

lol

Nope  :D

Not sure about rules though, never played anything in 6mm before apart from Cold War tank battles and standard Napoleonics  ???

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 06:17:25 PM »
I hesitate to throw this in, but would Dystopian Wars work? It seems to use block of infantry with airships and tanks.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
I hesitate to throw this in, but would Dystopian Wars work? It seems to use block of infantry with airships and tanks.

hmm, I only played first edition and wasn't that impressed, but second edition did introduce infantry stands like you say. Probably need to scale things up, since that is meant for 2mm (ish?) stuff rather then 6 but it might work.   o_o

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
Bit more work on the tank, added some barrels to the front just to get the feel for those a bit better, will probably re-do those later on. Trying to get a satisfying top part of the flier to stick out of the back. current arangement of portholes has a strong eyes like appearance which works for the style I hope.

While taking These I concluded a miyazaki design would never have that simple hinges on the lids. So next step is to add slits with swing arms that would allow the lids to slide to the side of the hump to release the balloon. then figure out how the inside actually looks without the balloon in it and model that for at least one print.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 04:29:12 AM »
Looking good  8)

Could I suggest a slightly shorter barrel?

cheers

James

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
Like I said I'm probably going to re-do the entire barrel cluster. I'm trying not to think to much about any of the barrels since it's going to be a lot easier to place them in whatever direction will suit my printing orientation in the end, no reason to make this more difficult then it has to be.

Can't go wrong with Baccuss. Has both FPW and Nappies. I'm very into this project.

I agree their models look great but they sell in lots a bit larger then I need for now. Amusing I stick to horizon wars, or at least "6mm skirmish" size as you could call it Even a single pack would provide far more models then I need. I think I'm better of going with irregular stuff, since for the same price I can order a bit of every troop type. Plus they do have those trains, and civilians which I think might be nice and cattle which I really could use on my terrain. I think for civies I should probably go more with ww1 then napy where possible.

Talking about troop types. I think some type of artillery might be cool, I originally was just thinking Napoleonic cannons, but considering the kind of guns the vehicles have, I think ww1 artillery pieces might be more in order. (irregular might provide again, though at what quality I don't know)

I got a new shipment of 3d printer resin in today, so I hope to finish the tanks tomorrow and print up at least one.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
I've updated my first post with links to the reference stills I took from Howl's. Re-watched nausicaa and while it still caries the same style no troops I want to copy I think. Still need to re-watch Castle in the sky.

I'm settling on the thought of ordering from irregular, they  offer nice small packages and a lot of other stuff I can really use, like the trains, civilians, cattle and loose windows doors and roofs for making your own buildings.  

For infantry I figure these are in fact exactly franco-prusian French line infantry.

And the only cavalry we see are in fact cuirassiers

However they apparently speak, or at least write in german:

I am still considering if I want to do these guys:

They might actually work nicely as airship born troopers I think. Though like everybody I like the look of greatcoats so I might end up going with greatcoat troops for airborne infantry.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 10:26:12 PM »
Following with interest - as I've had ideas about this too.

Definitely keep the sailors (because you'll be doing battleships too before too long ;))!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
Some new resin and container arrived for my printer yesterday, so I had a good incentive to finish the design and set up a print for yesterday evening. So here it is.

First off a few pictures just assembled, no further finishing done.

And with a bit of scale reference.

TBH this resin doesn't photograph that well so I gave it a quick ink wash. Bit quick and dirty but boy from tabletop height it almost looks ready painted.  lol

Dirty tracks, oh well.

Those panel lines on the side are 0.1mm wide and 0.05mm deep.  lol

At some point during assembly I managed to snap off the left side rear turret barrels as you can see, its a clean brake though so I might glue some plasticard tubes there.

Panel lining on the rear of the turret didn't show up that great, but if you look closely you can see the ink actually went into the smaller barrel a full 1.5mm, so I'm kind of happy with that printer detail.

All in all I think I might do a version at 10-15% size increase, since it doens't look that large next to relatively ok sized 6mm infantry and tanks, even if those are based on a rather hefty scenic base. Obviously not the infantry I will use for this, just used for reference. Paypal's conversion rate is still dropping so I should soon order from somebody UK based. Heroics and ross is back online but with almost no pictures last time I checked.  :?  So irregular it will be I think.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:26:09 PM by YPU »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 6mm miyazaki fantasy project. First tank 3D printed page 3.
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
OH MY GAWD! Sweet tank.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
Absolutely love it  :-* :-* :-*

I want to get my 1/72 kit out now and build it  lol

cheers

James

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
Oh Wow, that is superb. Really superb.

re H&R pictures: here is a blog post that has a bunch of pictures of my Volley & Bayonet Franco Prussian H&R figures. Taken for the look of the battle rather than detail of the figures but should give you enough of an idea on how they look:
http://wargamestenerife.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Franco-prusiana

They are great little figures.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »
That's not too shabby. :)

Second Robh. I got some Heroics & Ros colonial brits as 'not-Praetorian IG', and they're pretty nifty. Less detail than some 6mm, but very nice proportions. I'd agonised between those and the Baccus figures with more detail but bobbleheads, and don't regret the choice.

No pics at the mo, unfortunately!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »
OH MY GAWD! Sweet tank.

Absolutely love it  :-* :-* :-*

Cheers gents!

re H&R pictures: here is a blog post that has a bunch of pictures of my Volley & Bayonet Franco Prussian H&R figures. Taken for the look of the battle rather than detail of the figures but should give you enough of an idea on how they look:
http://wargamestenerife.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Franco-prusiana

Thanks that does help a lot! And now I'm doubting again... darn you.

I see what you mean by the detailing. That printer is simply amazing. Bloody nice modeling on the tank too. In fact that tank is really really nice 3d modeling.

Its all smoke and mirrors the actual 3d work is rather shoddy, I managed to get my geometry confused to the point where rendering crashed my video card. Nothing you see on the eventual mesh or print, the good thing is I think I know where the bug crept in and I can still fix it for the future.