Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Storage Options - Any recommendations  (Read 3222 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Storage Options - Any recommendations
« on: August 01, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Having just finished a bunch of chaps with unhelpfully long pikes I realise my hiterto rather ad-hoc storage system is a. Full, b. No longer fit for purpose and c. Full.

So I'm investigating storage cases/boxes and suchlike (I don't have the space for wall-mounted cases at the moment) and wondered if anyone can recommend any in particular, I know there are a few companies around which do various kinds.

Primarily I'm after something with either enough height for 28mm pikemen, standards etc, or which will fit them lying down, so some sort of foam innards I reckon, whilst protecting said pikes. Cases with adaptable storage would be good to account for the cavalry too.

Alternatively, I could probably knock together a few cases but I'm not sure where to find some decent foam or whatnot as my forays into B&Q thus far haven't turned up trumps.

Any suggestions much welcomed

Cheers

Rob

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: Storage Options - Any recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
I rely on some Rubbermaid bins for some terrain, and Really Useful Boxes for more important stuff (they're heavier/stronger/more expensive).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:05:07 PM »
Really Usefuls were on offer in Rymans last month. Haven't looked to see if the offer is still running, but might be worth checking them out.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
I agree on the really useful boxes, I changed from file boxes after a friend picked up a full box by the sides, rather than supporting the bottom. The thin staples that held the base in place gave way, & a lot of lead did what lead will do if in midair with no support... it fell to the floor.
The really useful boxes have several other advantages:- can be stacked; are translucent; Inserts can be purchased (great for 15mm & smaller as it doubles the storage) & come in a range of colours (allows you to colour co-ordinate your forces, e.g.blue boxes = navy /red boxes = Napoleonic British etc.
Rymans sale (& I too do not know if it is still on) meant I bought three 4 ltr. boxes for the price of two. I try to take advantage of any such sales (Craft World had one a few months ago)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:25:05 PM »
Do your minus have steel washer bases?

For storage (but not game-day travel) I use the strong card document boxes (on their side, so the lid swings up to open as the top) with a couple of cheap magnetic l-plates glued inside. The minis sit pretty secure on the magnetised floor.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »

Kaiser Rushforth do complete storage options catering for all wallet sizes with various hard and soft cases with foam insert trays in all sorts of sizes.

The trays come in various depths and can be custom cut to individual specification.

https://www.krmulticase.com/
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline headache

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:10:44 PM »
Check this company, card box with foam inside

https://www.safeandsound.pl/en_GB/c/Boxes/19

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Do your minus have steel washer bases?

No - wooden or plastic I'm afraid. I do sit them in movement trays which they fit quite snugly into though. Just need something more structured and adaptable though.

I did a massive post on this with photos of my choices etc.

Is that a blog post or somewhere on here?

---

Thanks for the suggestions so far all, I shall have a look. Those Really Useful boxes look quite good, if I can find some with inserts/make up some inserts myself. Anyone doubled up layers in them, or are they one-layer only?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:10 PM »
Kaiser Rushforth do complete storage options catering for all wallet sizes with various hard and soft cases with foam insert trays in all sorts of sizes.

The trays come in various depths and can be custom cut to individual specification.

https://www.krmulticase.com/

+1

38 cases and counting.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 12:21:25 AM »
Big old paper bag, just dump that shit in there. Fix whatever later.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:07:28 AM »
Big old paper bag, just dump that shit in there. Fix whatever later.

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:39 AM »
Run to the nearest office supply store and pick up some bankers boxes.  Those things are great for storage, uniform in size, sturdy, and can be stacked easily.  Then build smaller inserts/trays using spare thin cardboard and staples, and use thicker sheets of cardboard for dividers and internal supports.

Offline Mark Strachan

• Assistant
    • 1866 and all that...
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 05:00:06 AM »
I agree go to an office supply or plastics specailists store. Look for plastic stationery drawers.  They usually come is blocks of three or four drawers.  I buy this brand in New Zealand http://www.tcinz.co.nz/A4-Desktop%20Storage2012.htm , but there are a multitude of manufaturers around the globe who make these. They are perfectly suited to our peculiar hobby and usually cost very little.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 07:28:46 AM »
I use Really Useful boxes for my 28mm Naps. For infantry units without flags, artillery or cavalry (without lances or flags) I use 4l boxes, for units with flags I use 4l boxes with XL lids (available as replacements from their website) for the extra height. The 9l box works for units with flags too but i prefer the lower sides of the 4l boxes, find it easier to get figures out.
The 4l and 9l boxes stack on top of each other as same width, length. Would really suggest checking their website.
My figures are based on mdf with magnetic strip stuck to the bottom and the boxes are lined with a self adhesive flexible steel sheet.

Tony.