Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sugestions for obscure WW2 armies (in 28mm)  (Read 5704 times)

Offline aktr

• Librarian
Sugestions for obscure WW2 armies (in 28mm)
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »
Hi,

I'm after a new WW2 army (primarily for CoC) but it has to be something obscure
either a Early war army to use against Blitzkrieg Germans or a late war army to use against the Germans (so no pacific or desert)

Obscure means not something that a person with a passing knowledge of history would no about
However it has to be possible to get figures in 28mm for the army in question

Ones I have in mind so far are
Brazil (using LW US kits)
Dutch (using the May 40 miniatures which are coming soon)
Polish army of France (using French miniatures - possible even French ww1 miniatures as some one told me some where clad in horizon blue due to a shortage)

bonus points if it has weird/wonderful/obsolete vehicles available as support

so any suggestions

Cheers

Andy

Offline julesav

• Scientist
Re: Sugestions for obscure WW2 armies (in 28mm)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:22:47 PM »
Finnish after change of sides in late 1944?
Romanian after change of sides in late 1944?
Hungarian - 1945 coup involving Otto Skorzeny?
Dutch 1940?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Frontiersman

• Bookworm
  • Cartridges! I need more cartridges!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:17:50 PM »
Italians post 1943?
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."- Unknown

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:30:21 PM »
Romanian after change of sides in late 1944?
Hungarian - 1945 coup involving Otto Skorzeny?

What models would you use for Romanian or Hungarians?
Hungarian Coup is a new one on me, I'll have to look into that

Italians post 1943?

I've found conflicting sources regarding the Italian Liberation corps - some say they just kept there old Italian equipment and organisation, others that they where reequipped by the British (or possibly Americans, I forget which one)

Any ideas which it is?

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »
For Hungarians a mix of WW1 and WW2 Germans could probably work quite well.

Romanians are more difficult, but possibly headswaps on Russians and/or Germans would work? That's if anyone makes heads with the distinctive Romanian helmet. On the other hand their mountain troops wore berets so maybe Warlord Russians with British Royal Marine or para berets might work?

I've seen Italians in complete German kit (except Italian helmet) fighting for the Fascist Republic. For those fighting for the Kingdom of Italy British battledress seems common but with Italian Beretta SMGs and rifles but Bren LMGs.

Flames of War had some informative 'briefings' on the LW Italian options but I'm not sure they're still on their site.

Offline Iain

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »
Luxembourg. You won't need many figures.  There is a Panzer Grenadier supplement on it if you need some scenario ideas.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »
The post 1943 Italian army fighting on the Allied side should be roughly divided in four-three subperiods

1) the fighting against the Germans in the immediate aftermath of the armistice - Roma, Cefalonia, the Greek islands (captain Corelli!) etc. During this very short period obviously units kept their own old uniforms

2) 1 raggruppamento motorizzato (1st motorized group), roughly late 1943 - very early 1944, with the old Italian uniforms

3) Corpo Italiano di Liberazione (Italian Liberation Corps), early 1944- late 1944, mostly old Italian uniforms. As this was meant to be representative of all the Armed forces, it included alpini, bersaglieri, paras, San Marco regiment, etc. It also had a number of partisan units attached, in particular the Maiella group which fought with the Army until the end of the war

4) 6 Gruppi di combattimento -  6 combat groups (Cremona, Legnano, Friuli, Folgore, Mantova, Piceno), these were fully equipped by the British and wore standard battledress, sometimes mixing it with some traditional Italian features (like the bersagliere feathers, for instance). They were ready by early 1945 and fought only in the last months of the war

Then there were all sorts of oddballs - such as the "F" recce squadron, formed immediately after the armistice by a unit of paras that refused to go North with the Fascists, then was equipped by the British and turned basically into an Italian SAS unit, which was wearing a British para smock but with an Italian beret and with Beretta guns..

All along, you can also field partisans wearing a mix of civilian clothes, old Italian uniforms, stuff provided by the Allies or captured from the Germans...

Hope this helps!

What models would you use for Romanian or Hungarians?
Hungarian Coup is a new one on me, I'll have to look into that

I've found conflicting sources regarding the Italian Liberation corps - some say they just kept there old Italian equipment and organisation, others that they where reequipped by the British (or possibly Americans, I forget which one)

Any ideas which it is?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
Prinses Irene Brigade and Belgian Independent Brigade?
http://www.fireandfury.com/orbats/latedutchbelgorbat.pdf
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:46:25 AM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:55 PM »
Slovaks.

A fellow LAFer makes beautiful 28mm Czech figures and Mad Bob and Warlord make the tanks you might want. Useable against Hungarians in the  eight day micro war of 1939 or as German Allies in Russia. Leave off the helmet markings and you can use them (as intended) against a what if German invasion of Czechoslovakia.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:06:49 AM »
Slovaks.

A fellow LAFer makes beautiful 28mm Czech figures and Mad Bob and Warlord make the tanks you might want. Useable against Hungarians in the  eight day micro war of 1939 or as German Allies in Russia. Leave off the helmet markings and you can use them (as intended) against a what if German invasion of Czechoslovakia.

I came across them the other day, they are very nice
https://www.horcata.eu/category/czechoslovak-infantry/

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »
French "armée de l'atlantique" who fought against the German strongholds along the atlantic coast ?

Mostly ex maquis units, uniformed with a mix of US, GB , and French stuff, with ex-beute panzers, and the maquis using homemade armoured cars ... ( and some French 1st Free French Division and Leclerc 2nd Armoured Division in support )

Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
By the by, Brazilians aren't such an easy proposition if you are a button/ rivet counter. A mix of US troops in temperate and winter uniforms and suitable paint jobs would work, save for the fact that the FEB was armed with bolt action Springfield rifles, not M1 Garands. If you aren't fussed about rifles then it's doable.  Just remember when paintin them that unlike the racially segregated US Army, Brazilian units were racially mixed.

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Cheers Chaps

I quite like the sound of the Italian Liberation Corps, I have a soft spot for the Italians

Sadly I don't think Slovakia would work as they have to be used against Germans (same for the Hungarians) and my opponent is not a fan of historical what ifs

armée de l'atlantique sound interesting, any idea where I can find more information on them?

I'm not a button counter so I'll happily say a Garand is actually a Springfield

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
Danes.
They're so obscure that no one makes models that even resembles them, at least not to my knowledge.
You could however convert them from warlords EW poles with a little patience.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
Norwegians, with or without French mountain troops. I have seen figures on LAF, but don't remember who makes them.