Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:40:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic KGL Green vs Rifles Green?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Napoleonic KGL Green vs Rifles Green?
« on: September 08, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »
Hi Gents. Rookie Napoleonic painter here, so please go easy on me  :)  I recently purchased the Warlord La Haye Sainte boxed set and am about painting the "British" including the KGL 2nd Light Battalion troops and the 95th rifles. For my eyes I cannot see a difference between the green color in the uniforms of these two units. Is this correct or is there a subtle difference?  Anyone have any color tips for paint selection?

Thanks for the info!

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Napoleonic KGL Green vs Rifles Green?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
Im no expert, but I think the green is the same as the British rifle green which is a very dark almost black green.
I use Foundry bright bottle green number 41 ab and c, as with a lot of these triads when you put the first two colours on it doesn't look to impressive but the third coat seems to lift the colour nicely and when a nice flat Matt varnish is applied I like the effect.
It's a lighter shade than the actual garment but because our figures are so small I like to do a lighter shade as it makes the figure stand out more on the tabletop.
Here's a photo of some FIW troops I've recently painted using this triad to give you an idea of the end result.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
   Hi Jeff
        I should not  be to worried about the exact colour! dark green is dark dark  in my eyes :) , when you have 3 weeks + in the field that would turn that parade Gucci uniform into a riflemans jacket .. :)

I never paint my whole unit in the same main colour  with out darkening some and lighting others , you would never get the same colour cloth .. some would get newer jackets  the dies would come out , the quality of some of the suppliers would be better than others ,It should all be taken into account a . then  you could look at the weather as well if its just been raining then the rifle green would become darker and lighter in the sun light over a period .

So in my mind, just paint them a dark green and as long as you are happy with the out come you are a winner. :)
  I hope you have great fun painting your brits ,

I myself are working my way through the war of 1812 ! Americans  talk about mixed dress ! 
          god i got them in brown, white, grey and Blue and thats just normal Line Battalions dont even go down the road of militia and civ ! units ... all great fun to be had .

Happy gaming brother and good luck with the painting LR..

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the input gents. Frankly it's a bonus if the KGL and the Rifles use the same color as it makes them easier to paint in one go. Gorgeous figures Jeff! That bottle green looks just about perfect to me.

~ Steve

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
Sorry did mean to say that they would be in the same colour as the rifle Brigade/95 th ..
LR