Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:53:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jomsvikings and co.  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
Jomsvikings and co.
« on: October 13, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »
Hey guys, a long time lurker who can finally show some of his work :D

So I manage to finally finish one of my Jomsvikings guys and I'm really happy with him. Granted, the photo is a bit shite but I will learn how to take better ones at some point.

I'm also putting photos of the rest of the warband - nothing special, flat colours + some washes. GB and Black Tree.

I'm really glad I can finally post something. Couple of years ago I stumbled upon Captain Blood's famous tutorial on Perry WOTR miniatures and that reignited my interest in wargaming. Currently playing SAGA, but I have some Perry A-O knights and WOTR knights (2 sprues and a sprue respectively) coming to test them out. New adventures ahead, yay!

I appreciate any comments, critic or scrutiny. Feel free to bash me :D

PS: If anyone is Edinburgh based and wants to play/plays SAGA, please hit me up!

Cheers,
Maks

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Jomsvikings and co.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:22:41 PM »
Nice clean and tidy work  :D :D

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:02:17 PM »
I can't really see the group figures to comment.  The single figure looks "neat and tidy."

In my book, neatness is the very first thing to master in figure painting.  So it's looking pretty good.   :)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 02:31:55 AM »
The reason for group photos was more like "there is more coming up" :D

Yeah, I'm piecing together a better way of taking photos. I'm doing my masters now so simple tasks take so much longer to do :D I had a light hitting the miniature directly from above which made everything look uniform. There are highlights and shading on it, I promise :D

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
More done. With these I have a couple of questions:
1) I bought the Citadel 'Ardcoat not knowing that it is a gloss varnish (yeah, my bad). I don't like the results whatsoever (grey guy with painted base), so can I just put a matt varnish over it? If so, what do you guys suggest?
2) Still learning to work with wet palette. I love it for mixing colours that really helps my shading. One thing that I'm still struggling with is contrast. I don't like going from super dark to super light and much prefer a small variation. The Jomsviking with a blue tunic is a figure that I'm really satisfied with because of the hood and really dissatisfied because of the tunic, due to that very reason.
3) Taking photos is still some sort of black magic to me. I only have a smartphone, a single LED lamp and no budget so any suggestions and help will be really appreciated.

Here are the chaps themselves:

Cheers,
Maks

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »
tidy work
Don't use the flash and try and take the picture with a better back ground and just try good day light
If you search the forum there are a lot of threads about taking photos

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 09:25:10 PM »
Nice clean painting.  I would suggest using natural daylight for the photo's.  Not in direct sunlight though, as it's almost as bad as poor light.  A plain background in a mid tone is also better than a really dark or really light background if you don't have a decent camera.  Alternatively try a gaming table background, just not too cluttered.

I tend to use a green gaming mat with a hill and some trees & hedges, mainly behind my figures.

You can spray your matt varnish directly onto the dry gloss varnish.  The best is Testors Dullcoat if you can get it, but almost any matt varnish will work.  Spraying with gloss first is a GW recommended technique.  The gloss provides a tough protective coat and the matt dulls it down to make it look better.