Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Olofeus

• Librarian
[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-brimstone-forbidden-fortress/description

This just caught my eye. There are some lovely eastern type beasties there.
Not to mention: I like wild west version and I've played it a lot.

Kiitos ja moi!
Samu

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
Re: [Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »
Even if I have an aversion to computer sculpted miniatures, these are nice. The monsters are especially nice, that's the best jorogumo model I've seen yet (mainly because it's the first that actually makes it a lady with a spider body and not some kind of weird alien). Seems like they went with the long-nosed version of tengu instead of the crow headed kind, which is something I've never seen as a model outside of that one Bushido character and the weird wingless martial arts tengu that Zenit makes.
Too bad that most of the monsters just have one pose, and that you can't buy just the models ($100 minimum for a game that I'll most likely only get to play once, at the most. Unless you have a dedicated boardgame group, it's hard to get "normals" to commit to the time needed to learn and play these kinds of games). Looks great if you're into dungeon crawlers, though. It's also nice to see one of those that tries a theme other than the usual zombies, vanilla medieval fantasy or space marines.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:51:07 PM by BugPope »
If you're convincing yourself that you're infallible, you can never improve.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:58:12 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting my Wave 2 of the first Kickstarter and I won't back this Kickstarter (note: I'm not angry or grumpy that they're very late by the way). The game is cool, but just not that cool IMO. It's too much like the old Warhammer Quest...which is nice...but gets more of the same quite fast. Move into the mine...blast away...hope you're lucky with the events...get to the ending (often with a big boss)...and hope you're still standing. Like Warhammer Quest it's very random and you can be VERY unlucky and end up facing 3 groups of hard enemies on the second tile.
Although I like the idea of the depth track, we don't really had good experiences with it. In several scenarios we had to cheat to even have a chance as the one with the lantern had a lot of bad luck trying to keep the darkness at bay.
And I don't recommend playing it with 4+ players...it tends to take a lot of time with lots and lots and lots of endless dice rolling and repetitive encounters. With 2-3 players it goes fast enough to stay cool.

But it all looks gorgeous and the contents are awesome for other games too.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:05:42 PM »
Doesn't really seem like you get a lot of variety with the dungeon layout either, since it's whole rooms instead of tiles that be used to create rooms with different shapes. Feels like that would hurt the replayability value too. The rooms are pretty, though.