Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What rules are people playing for GNW?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline DontFearDaReaper

• Schoolboy
What rules are people playing for GNW?
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
Like the title says, my friend and I are interested in building and playing GNW but don't have a good idea whats out there and/or popular at the moment.  If you play this period what rules are you using?

Dave da gamer

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What rules are people playing for GNW?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
Hi Dave

Myself and a couple of friends are doing GNW, planning to use Black Powder with some simple amends as it lends itself to amends and the significant national differences in armies. Nearly at the point where we can play a game, keep an eye on the blog for updates. http://gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk/

My blog documents the GNW project from the very beginning of what figures shall I choose to the finished battalion currently being turned out. Might be a useful read for getting your own thoughts together. Please do ask if I can be of any help at all.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
Dave,

Do you have any idea of the kind of game you want to play? I mean here are you looking to do smaller actions where say the player will have a brigade - 5 or so units? Maybe you want to do full historic battles with more or less detail?

For example we play with 3 sets. The first is a home grown set (which will be published next year) for 'brigade' type battles where the Swedes will have 5 or so units of around 20 figures (25mm), the enemies of the Swedes of course have a lot more units. Another set is for full historic battles which we do with 6mm or 10mm figures. We use a set called Twilight of the Sun King: Birth of the Age of Reason which allows full battles to be done 1 player vs 1 player in a single session & with smaller armies. Sometimes we use the Polemos Great Nortern War set which is kind of in the middle of these. You can do full battles but in more detail and with more players/time/resources or intermediate games.

Generally I would avoid general rules sets as the GNW is quite a strange war that is difficult to do with non specific sets.

Offline The Grim Mariner

• Librarian
    • Grimsby Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
I'm using my own rules.  A development of a set that the is used for large (2,000 figures +) games in the WSS.  Ten to sixteen battalions a side of 24 figures minimum.  Have a look at the most recent Wargamers Annual (availble through Caliver Books) for an article describing the thoughts behind my project.
In wargaming as in life - don't accept cheap imitations

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
"Maurice" would be ideal for GNW. It's designed for 18th century warfare, but it contains rules for Pikes (indeed we've used it very successfully for ECW games).

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »
A few weeks ago, I played a GNW game with some friends (using miniatures from one of them).
We used Black Powder and it went very well, with a pleasing result in an evening.
The unending Battle against the Lead Mountain can be followed at
http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/