Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warrior Heroes Battle Report and Micro-Review  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
Warrior Heroes Battle Report and Micro-Review
« on: February 26, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
The baker's daughter has been kidnapped by Goblins. The baker is unable to keep up with production without his daughter to manage the doughnut production line, so Brother Cedric must rescue her and return her to her father. The consequences of no doughnuts at the preceptory's afternoon tea meetings would be horrendous. Can Brother Cedric rescue Griselda in time?

I have just posted a battle report from our game last night and a micro-review of WHAA on my blog. I hope it is of interest to some:
http://ooh-shiny-complex.blogspot.com/

This is part of our frugal gaming project. Last month I painted the goblins for this game, while my buddy, Steve painted his Teutonic knights to be used as Brethren. Unfortunately, we have both been finding it hard to make time for a game this month, so we only got a game played last night. Hopefully we can meet again sooner for the next round.

Cheers,
Ruarigh
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Re: Warrior Heroes Battle Report and Micro-Review
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »
R,

Great report and helpful review.  I have just started experimenting with Song of Blades and Heroes, and the Warrior Heroes ruleset is one that interests me as well.  It`s about time that some enlightened designers started creating small scale fantasy rules.  I like any ruleset that requires small numbers of models to play, and that re-create the classic roleplaying feel of my youth (i.e. original D&D editions in the in the red box... against the giants anyone?)

I've been tracking your painting progress (you're actually in the list of blogs on my site), and I actually have a similar mission - to build/paint/create more than I buy. 

Have you played SBH?  If so, did you like one set of rules better than the other?  Just curious.

J

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
Re: Warrior Heroes Battle Report and Micro-Review
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:47:03 PM »
Hi,

I found your blog a bit back too and linked to it. Fair's fair after all!  :)

I have SoBH but have not played it yet. It certainly looks good in a different way from WHAA and I look forward to trying it. I think that both rules sets have different things to recommend them and it will come down to personal preference which you go with. I shall have a better idea of the differences once I have played SoBH.

Like you, I am keen on the idea of small scale fantasy skirmish and have considered converting my old Basic D&D modules to proper skirmish games. I thought it would be fun to run a campaign using Basic D&D as a skirmish game and see my characters progress. The main problem is the decision-making process for dealing with those parts of the game that would normally be adjudicated by the DM.

Cheers,
Ruarigh