Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Firelock Games Blood and Plunder  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Assistant
Re: Firelock Games Blood and Plunder
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »
Hello Happy Wanderer,

I got some of the new Blood&Plunder-Minis. They are much greater than for example the ECW-Minis from the Perry-Twins and slightly bigger than the ECW-Plastic-Range from Warlord-Games. Is this heroic 28s? Hope, this will help. Perhaps I can make some pics to show the next days.

Cheers Hannibal

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »
They don't quite fit into either category, but scale up better with heroic figures.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the rules will work very well for King Williams war. In our next expansion we are going to include Native Caribbean factions. If I get my way we will do Native North Americans next and will cover King Philips war in earnest :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:23:39 PM by El Frantico »
Mike Tuņez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 11:37:12 PM »
"If I get my way we will do Native North Americans next and will cover King Philips war in earnest"

Wow! Is that likely to be a kickstarter in the 'near' future??

I think a good number of existing figures already work but a more 'Northern settler' clothed look would really be spot on. Should I hold off getting any KPW figures if Firelock are going to step up to the plate on this?? Your figures are superb.

This sounds very promising for Colonial American conflicts 👏👏👏

Happ-ier Wanderer  ;)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:40 AM »
Thanks Hunter,

What size are they ...heroic 28s? ...Perry size 28mm? Any size comparison info or pic would be appreciated.

Cheers

HW

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88297.msg1091560#msg1091560

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 04:06:56 AM »
Perfect!

Well done that man  ;)

HW

Offline Hunter776

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:48 AM »
I believe calling this just a "Pirate system" really does not do the ruleset justice.

My daughter, who does a lot of painting for me because she's very good at it, asked me what I like so much about the rules. I had to think about it a bit, but it struck me that this is kind of a 17th C toolbox for almost any kind of skirmish warfare that I've been looking for for about 20 years.

The built in system for melee and shooting are very satisfying, and there are a good number of special abilities that each unit may have one or more of that allows you to tailor the skills to the unit you're looking to recreate.

We had a little skirmish back during the ECW here in MD in Annapolis MD, and I could easily see using these rules for that.

I have had a number of hobbies during my life, including black powder shooting, fencing, and sailing, and it's nice to see little nuances in the "real life" versions of these activities reflected in the game. I have a genuine sense that knowing how to sail really gives one a bit of an advantage in the game. More weatherly and more handy ships can make up for having fewer guns onboard.

Making decisions like firing all of a unit's guns in a volley vs. using a ranked type fire system is great, and is handled in a quick and logical way.

To put it mildly, I'm a fan.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 07:24:37 AM »
@Hunter776: Would you be up for writing a review of the game?

Or, if thats too much to ask, answer a few specific questions?  :)

What size board does ship on ship battles require?
How big are the ships, in terms of ship class or number cannons?
Are there rules for boarding actions?
If so, how many miniatures do they recommend for boarding actions?

Also, does anyone know if there's a european distributer/dealer?

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:00:17 AM by manatic »

Offline Hunter776

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
@Hunter776: Would you be up for writing a review of the game?

Or, if thats too much to ask, answer a few specific questions?  :)

What size board does ship on ship battles require?
How big are the ships, in terms of ship class or number cannons?
Are there rules for boarding actions?
If so, how many miniatures do they recommend for boarding actions?

Also, does anyone know if there's a european distributer/dealer?

I want to play a few more times before I did anything like a review, but I've become fairly familiar with the rules and have played two full games. Allow me to attempt to answer your questions.

Troops have a points cost in this system, and they have recommended sizes of board depending on the points. 3'x3' is recommended for a 100 point game, and the typical 4'x6' is recommended for 300-400 point games. You should also understand that they have approximately ten scenarios in the game (and of course the option for dozens of home-made scenarios), and each scenario has set-up and victory recommendations for all-land, land and sea (amphibious), and all-sea versions.

Cannon are purchased individually on top of the cost of ships, and three  are initially described in the rules, a sloop, a brigantine , and a light frigate. The ships alone with cannon would run anywhere from 20-100 points, depending on how outfitted they are. There is no minimum for the amount of swivel guns and cannon on board, but there are maximums.

I think 3x3 is a little tight to really do the fantastic naval rules justice. Pretty much anything over that works well. I call the ship rules fantastic because I have found that actually having sailing knowledge, and even more so historical knowledge, definitely will lead to better results. They've done a great job capturing the decisions that need to be made while not being overly complicated. You can tell a sailor was giving advice on the game from time to time.

There are definitely rules for boarding actions, which are completely integrated into the melee/combat rules, so you learn one combat system, not two.

To be a little more specific on the miniature count, we're doing an all land scenario this Saturday, and there are about 16 or so figures on each side at 100 points. So, say at 200 points with a ship, you're probably going to somewhere around 25 figures each, on average.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:07:18 PM by Hunter776 »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
Thanks for the information, its very helpful  :)

I've ordered a copy (from Caliver Books, thanks Manatic), a couple of 3D puzzleships from Weico and researched how to build an ocean board!

Its a pirates life for me :)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
Thanks Hunter,

What size are they ...heroic 28s? ...Perry size 28mm? Any size comparison info or pic would be appreciated.

Cheers

HW

In the event that previous responses have not entirely answered this to your satisfaction, I can give a more precise answer based on both measurement and comparison with other figures in my collection. I have only one figure from the range, a "Howard Pyle-inspired pirate" from the Kickstarter, which measures 33 mm from the base to the crown of the head. It is notably larger than North Star's pirates, and just slightly taller than Black Scorpion's, which are described as 32 mm.

I don't know who the sculptor is, but the figure is very realistic and elegant in style to my eye, and very well detailed, with no exaggerated features. 

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

This is the figure in question, which may be of interest, though it doesn't give any clues as to its size.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:34:47 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Wibod

• Lurker
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »
They don't quite fit into either category, but scale up better with heroic figures.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the rules will work very well for King Williams war. In our next expansion we are going to include Native Caribbean factions. If I get my way we will do Native North Americans next and will cover King Philips war in earnest :)

Hey Mike, are there any plans for having a Canadian retailer/distributor?

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »

This is the figure in question, which may be of interest, though it doesn't give any cues as to its size.

The figures are on integral 20mm round bases...

I'll be replacing these with 25mm round plastics, as the 5mm difference isn't going to make much of a difference on ships, unless one were to position the figures in perfect rows.

Cannons are pointed individually, but purchased in pairs for ships...