Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wizkids "Nolzur's" Miniatures - Bones alternative - any thoughts?  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Seeing these pop up all over the place.  Any word?  From what I see...

$3.99...for 1-3 figures, pre-primed with Vallejo --- look to be Bones-ish?

PS: Appears to be two separate lines.  Nolzur's for D&D minis and "Deep Cuts" from Paizo for the Pathfinder versions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:05:32 PM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Wizkids "Nolzur's" Miniatures - Bones alternative - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »
 They do look nice and a good price too.I had seen some on Wayland games and also spotted a couple of packs at a show last weekend.The detail on them looks really good.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
I'm intrigued and may try to pick up a couple.  I like Bones on larger creatures but find the smaller infantry-scale figures are far too soft to warrant any real attention.  These appear to be a nice alternative if they hold paint better.  Detail looks pretty good and they have a nice starting range.  If anyone has more hands on experiences, please post up.  I also like the flatter disc-like bases (much in keeping with the Renedra bases I currently use).

Like I said, I would like to see more larger creatures.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »
 When i first saw these on Wayland agmes site i thought that the round bases would be attached.Good to see they are not for anyone who has other basing preferances.

The Barbarian types look like nice miniatures and would fit in with Frostgrave and even Game of Thrones too.

£3.20 per pack from Wayland but they are waiting on stock to arrive.

The material does look to be better than the Bones stuff.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »
I've seen a few videos, but not a side-by-side comparison.

Videos showed mold lines and these miniatures are pre-assembled.  :(

While going after the same demographic as Bones, I think gamers will buy from both lines. If you want a dwarf with an axe and chainmail, you're going to buy it from whichever product line has the miniature. WK only has a few models right now. Can't wait to see their terrain though!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:32:39 AM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
Elbows,

At $4.99 plus for a Reaper figure in metal (a single figure) I found myself priced out of the larger figures for battle gaming  (hence my move to 3mm/6mm/15mm/18mm armies.) 😱

For warbands and small skirmishes I would use my Legacy 1970s figures (25mm Ral Partha, Der Kriegspieler and some Grenadier) rather than pay those prices per figure.  Not to mention no one can really say an elf or dwarf (my usual) or a Goblin is too short compared to today's humans for FRPGs.

TBH Bones figures work just fine for FRPG figures since it is about the story, not the museum piece for those.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
I have no problem paying $5-8 for a single metal figure, but it better be darn nice.   lol  But $3.66 (the common discounted price I'm seeing online) for a large troll?  Sounds good to me.  Same reason I like the Bones monsters.  They're exceptionally reasonable price-wise compared to any monsters in metal or resin, etc.  I also recycle pre-painted plastic minis.  For large hordes of baddies I use the best priced plastics I can find (so a box of goblins or orcs, etc.).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Hmm ... The price is certainly good, but I'm not too keen on the aesthetics. If those are D&D orcs, how many hit dice are they supposed to have? :o 

Also, the gnolls look markedly inferior to the Frostgrave ones (especially the second figure with the two axes). I quite like the kobolds, though, as small lizardmen, and the bugbears look OK - indeed, the second one's quite nice. The spiders are great, and the griffin looks a bargain. And the undead look good.

The troll seems a bit of a missed opportunity: nowhere near as scary-looking as the Otherworld or Citadel AD&D trolls (as Elbows says, though, the price is terrific).

And what's with all the double-bitted axes? Almost every axe in the range seems to have two blades. Given that precious few real battle-axes did, they don't really ring true.* With the human figures being quite realistically proportioned, it seems an odd choice to go with all that chunky armour and outlandish weaponry.

*This is my longstanding grumble with many fantasy miniature designs: more time in museums, please! ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »
The "Deep Cuts" line has some great looking demon hounds...a neat Unicorn (ya know, for what you need one).  I'd like to see the Griffon painted up.  My hope is that this line expands a lot...if  it's indeed good.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 01:11:59 AM »
I bought one, a giant spider, and it is damn good. The detail is excellent, absolutely minimal lines to scrape off, and it came pre-primered. Very happy.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:49 AM »
Interesting.  Hopefully our local store will stock some so we can grab a pack or two to experiment with.

-Michael

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
Thanks, Lead.  Let us know if you do any more!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 03:57:54 AM »
I've been tempted to get a bunch of those from Wayland games when they do free overseas shipping. The spider is definitely at the top of my list.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »
I just ordered some should get them soon.  From what I have seen in some unboxing videos they look to be smaller than a Reaper type figure.  they also seem to be the same person (like a 2 stage character) which I like I wish some company would do some 3 stage characters again I always thought that was a cool concept.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 07:40:07 AM »
I just ordered some should get them soon.  From what I have seen in some unboxing videos they look to be smaller than a Reaper type figure.  they also seem to be the same person (like a 2 stage character) which I like I wish some company would do some 3 stage characters again I always thought that was a cool concept.

Can't find the video but Dr Faust did a look at a few of them.

The 2 packs aren't the same person, but different sculpts that fit the same character class with different archetypes. The female Paladin had one sword & board and one with what looks like a great sword...