Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign UPDATED 04 may  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign UPDATED 04 may
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
Hey there everyone,

Some time ago i managed to convince a good friend to start a fun medieval project with me. This took me quite a while but when I showed him the perry models of the late 15th century style he finally broke and agreed to build an army. I was happy to start a new project with so many plastics to mix and mash to my hearts desire.

I named this my Solace Campaign because I am at a bit of a stand still in my life right now. There are probably a few people that would get upset by me calling it this. The thing is that I am fighting the black fog of depression. What has managed to keep this at bay for a while now is making progress with my miniature projects. up until now this seems to be a thing that lowers that pressure for me and I felt it would be a good name for a project that has no significant background besides a style choice.  I really hope to build something amazing here and hopefully as I am working on this I can compare the progress of the army to me getting better.

We will use Lion Rampant as a ruleset for the games and I wanted to build my models so they could be Germans. They will just look like them because I wish to hold on to creative freedom and I simply dont know too much about them to be really accurate. So forgive any weirdness as I know some of you are quite well learned and prefer accurate portrays.

I finished my leader and 2 of his fellow men at arms. My leader still needs a good name, so if anoyne has a good suggestion I'm willing to consider it ;)

If you like these you can find more of my work on my blog: http://breazbrushes.blogspot.nl/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:18:29 PM by Breazer »

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
They look mighty fine, Sir! I shall keep checking in.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
Looking good. Love the distinguished beard and 'tache  :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »
Very nice! So is this separate to your HYW project?
Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
Have to love Perry plastics.
Your figures look great.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:40:05 PM »
Thank you all so much for the kind words.

@charlie: jups... I put that aside for a bit now since I really want to have a project that has a solid basis done. But no worries, I'll get back to that eventually as well.

Offline shrubs

• Student
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:35:19 AM »
Nicely done and great painting Breazer! Big fan of anything 15th century Continental, especially German. The Isles are overrated anyway  :D

I have a small German bandit-baron force for use in various skirmish games, same idea as yours, using the most 'Germanic' looking bits from the Perry sets. And to top it off, I started to expand my force into something for Lion Rampant, so I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
That sounds great shrubs, I'd love to see your force once, I might find some inspiration in your stuff too.

Offline shrubs

• Student
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 01:08:01 AM »
Sure thing- started a new thread here so I wouldn't clutter your thread. My project has been on the wayside lately, perhaps this will be enough of a kick to get going again :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
Very nice work and good to see after decades of Charles the Bold, Longbows and Swiss Pikes dominating the period.  :)

My attitude is that if you're going to do 'history', then do it properly and accurately. If on the other hand you make no pretense of that and are quite happy with making it up as you go, then that is okay too and often far more interesting; it is your hobby, not anyone else's.

Too many troubles in the hobby have been caused by those who just do the last, but claim to do the first.  ;)

Good luck with this!

Offline hallmarkFPS

• Bookworm
    • HALLMARK FIGURE PAINTING
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »
Great start, i'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I hope your project helps lift the fog

cheers
Steve

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
@Arlequin I'd like to do a more acurate force one day and ill be sure to ask for some tips from you or where to look. I'd be curious to hear what you'd recommend for some smaller warbands

@hallmarkFPS: Thank you very much. I hope so too.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 07:21:24 AM »
I know next to nothing about 15th Century German armies, I was hoping to be educated here. I can compare with English and Flemish forces to a point if needed though. We have some informed and clever people on LAF, maybe even a German expert, who knows?

Edit- The Osprey 'German Armies 1300-1500' is easy to access and seems to be quite useful. How correct it is I could not say. An image search for "Mittelalterliche Hausbuch" will provide plenty of inspiration I'm sure.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:00:38 AM by Arlequín »

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »
Nice....you want an real name (Charakter)? Or a fantasy name like Ulrich von Hornberg, something like that ? The problem could be the banner....you give them the imperial banner...so it must be one of the force from the emporer.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
@Arlequin:  Thank you. The book is on my wishlist indeed.

@bluechi: I am going with a fantasy name. The imperial banner isnt a problem. I will even add another banner to the unit just because it will look cool.