Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:44:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140916 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 210901: Captain Jean Biro
« Reply #900 on: September 03, 2021, 03:40:06 PM »
I think that meme describes most of my gaming time... :/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 210901: Vorpal Dink, Chief Engineering Officer
« Reply #901 on: September 04, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
Chief Engineering Officer Vorpal Dink by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

United Government space houses lots of different intelligent lifeforms, where the human race is the most numerous. While there are exceptions, the truth is that most sentient life is quite similar to one another. They eat, they breath, they get rid of their waste. Most have (at least) four main appendages, which are used for propulsion and manipulation. Some are stronger, some are smarter, some can see in the dark...

The Baroka originally inhabited a few systems close to the Core Worlds. Although somewhat frail compared to others, the Baroka has an innate ability to make logical connections and read systems. This makes them especially suited for troubleshooting, engineering, organizational consulting, and running criminal enterprises. They are often sought after as Chief Engineering Officers in the United Navy, and are often highly valued in their positions.

Vorpal Dink had decades of experience as Chief Engineering Officer in the United Navy when Jean Biro got appointed Captain of his vessel, the cruiser Straylight. Dink soon became Biro's right hand man. They have been through a lot together, and have saved each others' lives several times. Even if Captain Biro seems to order Dink around a lot, most of the orders originates from Dink's own suggestions, hints and insinuations. A really perceptive person might notice that it's seems as if Vorpal Dink leads Captain Biro, rather than the other way around...

Vorpal Dink by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Vorpal Dink by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 210906: Science Officer Lyn Myrsky
« Reply #902 on: September 06, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »
Science Officer Lyn Myrsky by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Lyn Myrsky by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Lyn Myrsky had known that she wanted to be a scientist ever since she witnessed the last ascension of the Aarda as a child. The Aarda was a dying race, whose homeworld was riddled by an enormous network of living crystals. As the Aarda approached the end of their lives, they ascended by transferring their consciousness to the crystal matrix. When the United Navy Exploration Fleet discovered their planet, the last living Aarda was overseeing large cryonic vaults with near-dead Aarda, while trying to repair the long broken Ascension Module. United Government set up a research outpost, helping the Aarda with rebuilding the damaged module.

Many years later, scientist Lyn Myrsky got stationed on Zeta-12 Research Station, a top secret asteroid outpost. The first years were interesting, but even if she got to study alien artifacts and lost technology, she wasn't really happy. What really excited her were the tech archaeologists' stories about how they had aquired their finds. Traversing ancient space hulks, combing through overgrown ruins, overriding ancient security systems... Myrsky would drown any adventurer in drinks to be able to listen to their amazing stories.

She applied for positions out in the field. They were all denied, she was deemed 'too valuable' to risk her life in hostile environments. She applied again. Same result. Then the Corto Calamity occurred, and as Zeta-12 was evacuated, a damaged cruiser arrived for emergency repairs. They had lost their science officer, and needed a replacement immediately. That's how Lyn Myrsky ended up on the cruiser Straylight under the command of Captain Jean Biro. The years in his crew has led Myrsky to more adventures than she could ever imagine...

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #903 on: September 06, 2021, 11:07:44 PM »
Good work and write up.  I love the ruins. 

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #904 on: September 07, 2021, 06:25:44 AM »
Good work and write up.  I love the ruins.

Thank you, Louie!

The ruins are just 4mm cork on a 2mm plasticard base, there's a tutorial on page 52!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #905 on: September 22, 2021, 09:45:09 PM »
Hope you don't mind, Ockman, but I am working on a tribute to your little Peregrin ship. I'm just calling it the Ockman class shuttle right now  :D

I didn't have any original dimensions to base this on, so I'm guessing a bit. The OCS is 23mm tall, 75mm wide, and 95mm long. I'm curious how close I came to the original. I know your Peregrin has weapons underneath, but I'm thinking I may work something integral to the wing/hull in front of the cockpit. I'd like to keep the bottom flat.

While I'm trying to stick to your basic design (it is brilliant, after all) I also wanted to add some flare to it.

Give me a couple more days working on the design and I'll get a test print knocked out this weekend!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #906 on: September 23, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »
Andrew, this is amazing! I feel honored!

I love your take on the Peregrine. My first design had integral laser cannons, but I couldn't make it with plasticard. This looks really great, can't wait to see it printed!

If you want to check, you can find the plans on page 43. It's 70 mm wide and I'm not sure about the overall length, but the bottom plate is 75 mm long, and there's some overhang from the engines and cabin.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #907 on: September 23, 2021, 07:57:55 PM »
She is a fine vessel, and I'm looking forward to getting it printed up.

I missed the measurements. Looks like mine is a bit bigger, but I knew that I had the angle of the front wrong from the start.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #908 on: September 23, 2021, 09:49:04 PM »
Added the weapons (orange) and side windows (red outlines). I figured that if it had a crew compartment of some sort (rear door is a giveaway) then they might want to be able to see as well.

And speaking of rear doors, I tried to keep the feel, but retooled it a bit.

So, I feel like the wings and engines still need some added touches and then I'll be set.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #909 on: September 24, 2021, 03:10:41 AM »
That is Awesome!! Very good job and I can see a whole squadron of them.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #910 on: September 24, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »
That is Awesome!! Very good job and I can see a whole squadron of them.

I don't think printing a few is out of the question.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 210930: The Straylight Novas
« Reply #911 on: September 30, 2021, 08:31:33 AM »
The Straylight Novas by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

It's quite easy to disappear off radar in United Government space. If you don't want to be found, put on a rebreather, get some fake identification documents (if you're in really big trouble, get a genetic rearrangement too), and hide among the billions in the megacity of your choice. If that feels too constrictive, there are countless Fringe worlds where no-one knows your name and you can hide out in the open, as long as you don't raise the attention of any bounty hunters. If you've got a big bounty on your head, or an intergalactic warrant, you can always hide out in a pirate haven, like Teratega, hidden away in the Altona Nebula, or Port Minos, an asteroid base rumoured to exist in the debris left from the Corto Calamity.

Officially, the cruiser Straylight is listed as 'on classified mission', but its true status is unknown. An away team transport shuttle was found drifting with heavy damage, its emergency beacon activated, carrying  Straylight's Captain, Chief Engineering Officer and Science Officer in stasis. There was a quick (and later classified) debriefing with Captain Biro and his crew, followed by a hasty release. Captain Biro had indicated that they were still on a classified and time-sensitive mission, which might be jeopardized if they weren't allowed to leave.

When orders came from the United Navy Investigative Branch to hold them in custody, the crew was long gone. Special Investigator LeClerk was furious that Captain Biro had slipped through his fingers once again. There were so many incidents involving Biro and his crew which needed to be investigated, and now there was a cruiser unaccounted for, too. LeClerk reported this last incident to his superiors, who gave him a new order: find and apprehend Captain Biro and his crew...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 210930: The Straylight Novas
« Reply #912 on: September 30, 2021, 09:15:01 AM »
Brill  :)
cheers