Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building Martian skyships and Pijlie's Skyship rules: Action pictures!!!!!!!!  (Read 13529 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
...to try out some techniques for the bigger stuff  :D

I am curious how you all like this first attempt. There is more to see and to read on my blog. http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:30:12 AM by Pijlie »
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Re: Building a 28mm Aphid class gunboat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 05:49:46 PM »
Excellent!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
What a great start, I'm looking forward to more.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »
Very nice. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:40:37 PM »
I could have SWORN I'd replied to this, displaying my shame at not getting further than printing and gluing to foamcore the images from that man's work.  :o

I was curious about your rules to play; can you share some of how that works?

Doug

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: Building a 28mm Aphid class gunboat and Pijlie's Skyship rules!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 05:51:01 AM »
The rules are on my blog. A link in the article directs to it. But for convenience sake here they are:

The Barsoom Project: Sky ship rules!
Just to share and to inspire. All feedback is welcome!

Sky Ships of Barsoom
These rules are written with Witchfinder General in mind, but are actually quite generic. They assume ships are ponderous moving pieces of terrain, from which the figures take their actions. For nautical ships, simply ignore all rules regarding altitude, descending and ascending.

Turn sequence:
Ships move before all figures in the Ship Phase, giving these the chance to react to their movement. Ships roll for Initiative, the highest result moving first. Ships execute their Movement options alternatively, starting with the player with Initiative and his first option, then the second player with his first option, then the Initiative player with his second option et cetera until all are executed. After all ship movement is done, the standard WFG phases start.

Movement
Ships may execute three movement actions from the following options: Ahead, Reverse, Turn right, Turn left, Stop, Descend or Ascend. The players must plot these in advance for a turn, by choosing Movement Cards from the deck and revealing these in turn. The card deck contains:
- 3 x Ahead (move Speed number in inches forward)
- 1 x Reverse (move Speed number in inches backward)
- 2 x Turn right (up to 45 degrees)
- 2 x Turn left (up to 45 degrees)
- 3 x Stop
- 3 x Descend (lose 1 level of altitude)
- 1 x Ascend (gain 1 level of altitude)
- 1 x Extra Ascend (for small ships)

Ships are free to choose these options in any order with the following restrictions:
·         A ship may only Ascend once per turn, unless specifically stated otherwise in the ship’s stats
·         A ship must precede any turn with a Ahead or Reverse move, unless specifically stated otherwise in the ship’s stats
·         A ship may only Reverse once per turn, unless specifically stated otherwise in the ship’s stats
·         A ship must make a stop between Ahead and Reverse moves and vice versa.

Ships may descend to ground level and thereby Land. However, if a ship hits ground level after 2 or more consecutive Descend moves, it is a Crash (landing). Crashed ships roll a d10 on the Damage table for every preceding consecutive Descend move above 1.

Ships that move into unintended contact with another ship Collide. Colliding ships roll a d10 on the Damage table for every preceding Ahead move leading up to the Collision. Ships Colliding with each other head-on add up their Ahead/Reverse moves.
Ships that move their bow or stern into intended contact with another ship Ram. Ramming ships roll a d10 -1 on the Damage table for every preceding Ahead move leading up to the Ram. Ships Ramming each other head-on add up their Ahead/Reverse moves. The Rammed ship rolls a D10+1 on the Damage table.

Ships which are Out of control due to steering damage, incapacitated helmsmen or other reasons will execute two random Movement options per turn and then Descend one level.

Ships may get in each other’s way without colliding, due to altitude differences. In that case move both bases aside until the bases will fit into contact on the table.

Combat:
In terms of combat, ships are terrain over which figures may move within the restrictions of that terrain.
Ship-borne weapons fire in the Activation Phase of the figures that operate them.
Figures may freely cross over to another ship when and where:
- the ships make contact
- the ships are no more than 3 inches apart lengthwise and/or heightwise
In all other cases figures may attempt to jump on the other ship. Roll an extra D6 for movement. If the distance rolled is insufficient, the figure will either miss his target and fall to the ground level or (when jumping down on a ship directly below) take a hit when landing.

Ship's armament
Ships carry armament of two types: Light and Heavy. Light weapons cannot harm ships and may fire as normal on crew. Heavy weapons can harm ships and may fire as normal on ships. A Heavy weapon hit on a ship may result in 1 or more rolls on the Damage table, depending on the weapon. Firing heavy weapons on crew comes with a -2 modifier and any hit results in a Kill.

Damage:
All damage to ships is determined by a d10 roll on the Damage table. Damage is rolled if called for at the end of the Ship Phase and during the turn. Apply results immediately.

1   No Effect
2   Descend one level. If already on the ground: roll again. Ignore a second result of 1.
3   Lose the ability to Reverse. Discard the Reverse option. May be Repaired.
4   Lose the ability to ascend. Discard the Ascend option. If already on the ground, the ship is stranded. May be Repaired
5  Turning ability impaired. Discard a random Turn option. May be Repaired.
6  Control damage. From now on the ship has one less Movement option per turn. May be Repaired.
7  Speed loss. Discard one Ahead option. May be Repaired.
8  Lose one weapon on the side the damage was caused from. Ship owner’s choice. May not be Repaired.
9  A Fire breaks out on board. Succesfull Repairs will extinghuish it. A Fire causes one roll on this table per turn.
10  Only valid when rolled twice in the same turn: the ship’s hull integrity is destroyed and it is  wrecked crashing to the ground. May not be Repaired.

Optional rule 1:
Make a Damage Effect Die (DED) with 2 Stops, 2 Arrows and 2 Turns. Roll in addition to Damage Effects 3 to 8. Result dictates immediate (additional) move of the ship on top of the plotted Move of that turn. Roll DED.

Optional rule 2:
When manoeuvering, ships may opt to ignore Movement restrictions. This however comes with risks for the ships construction. A ship may only ignore ONE restriction per turn, execute the Move, immediately roll a D10 for Damage and add its effect to the Move.

Boarding
Crews may board other ships and may Grapple with them within throwing range. This will connect both grappled ships. Appoint crewmembers as (un)grapplers. Roll 1D6 per crewmember. A 6 is a successful (un)grapple. (Un)grapplers may not do anything else in that turn. Grappled ships of equal size may only execute 1 Movement option, which the other ship must follow (but may counter with its own Movement Option). Countered moves (i.e. 1 Ascend vs 1 Descend) cancel each other. In all other cases the smaller ship simply follows the larger ship.

Repairs:
Some Damage results may be Repaired. Select a number of crewmembers for the Repair crew and move them to a central location. Roll 1D6 for each crewmember selected. As soon as three results of 6 have been rolled the damage is repaired. Repair crews may do nothing else during the turn that they are repairing. Crew members may leave or join the Repair crew during the repairs. Rolled 6s are saved.

Ship classes:
Ships may be divided into three classes:
·         Capital ships: Speed 4. May descend 2 levels in one turn before landing without having to roll for damage, due to their heavy construction.
·         Medium ships: Speed 6.
·         Small craft: Speed 8, Ascend 2 levels/turn, 2 Turns/Forward. Light weapons may damage them (-1 on the DT). All Heavy weapon hits are +1 on the DT.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
 lol

Wasn't necessary; already have it printed out!

Sorry, wasn't sure if yours were the same ones. I even added a bit to some of the cards (Reverse - Must follow Stop after Ahead, Descend - Crash?) kind of thing.

I want to play around more, of course, but I'd hoped I'd someday be flying my Crossover kite with them.  ::)

Thanks MUCHO!

Doug

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
Well let me know what you come up with.

I think I beat you to it regarding your suggestions. The rules already state:

•   A ship must make a stop between Ahead and Reverse moves and vice versa.

So a ship cannot directly reverse right after a forward move and v.v.

And regarding crashes:

Ships may descend to ground level and thereby Land. However, if a ship hits ground level after 2 or more consecutive Descend moves, it is a Crash (landing). Crashed ships roll a d10 on the Damage table for every preceding consecutive Descend move above 1.

So a ship hitting the ground after 4 Descend Moves rolls 3D10 for Damage and an additional one for every extra Descend that produces, probably stranding it or causing fires, weapon loss an other mayhem. Losing the Ascend option on the ground strands the ship as well, so crashing is definetely a risk.  :D

I am playing with an optional rule that may let players ignore Movement restrictions, but that must be tested thoroughly...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:27:39 PM by Pijlie »

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
That sir, is a fantastic ship!  Great work and keep them coming!

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »

I think I beat you to it regarding your suggestions. The rules already state:

•   A ship must make a stop between Ahead and Reverse moves and vice versa.

Of course, I just meant I'd added those TO the cards for clarity. Unless I've been less than clear on the cards. And, of course, I was unclear ABOUT the cards in my post.  :D

Oh, I found my 'previous post.' Someone pulled a 'Tango' and posted images and links to your blog on TMP. "Building HMS Scarab, an Aphid class sky-gunboat"

So, at first I thought I was talking TO you. More eyeballs are good, right?

Doug

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
Of course, I just meant I'd added those TO the cards for clarity. Unless I've been less than clear on the cards. And, of course, I was unclear ABOUT the cards in my post.  :D

Ah, I misunderstood. That's actually a very good idea! I will steal this Sir!  :D

Oh, I found my 'previous post.' Someone pulled a 'Tango' and posted images and links to your blog on TMP. "Building HMS Scarab, an Aphid class sky-gunboat"

So, at first I thought I was talking TO you. More eyeballs are good, right?

Doug

I'm afraid Bill and I came upon some irreconcilable differences. Hence I do no longer post on TMP and CK occasionally posts some links to my stuff there, since he always understood people liked them.  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:10:21 PM by Pijlie »

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Every time someone posts one of these incredible ship builds I start thinking that I need to run a 28mm Aeronef game. Now it's going to take me two weeks to put that crazy idea back in its box.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
I humbly apologize for what I will do to you the coming months  lol

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
It's a good thing he never saw the Warlords' Sky Galleon builds and convention games. Salute 'Ought Five and Six'

Box would have been shredded...  lol

Still, I've faith in what you can accomplish!

Doug

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
I've seen the pictures of that and have the site bookmarked.  The wife rolled her eyes when I talked about it last night.