Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Fortune Cards for Pulp Alley  (Read 7717 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
New Fortune Cards for Pulp Alley
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »
On the Pulp Alley yahoo group, we've been discussing the idea of making about 10 new Fortune cards.

If anyone has an idea for a new card that they'd like to see included then please let us know.

Here are a few of the ideas we're kicking around, so feel free to let us know what you think ---

BUM RUSH -- Play: Before you move a  character to rush an enemy.
Effect: (pick one) You may move an extra  +3" or you are not limited to rushing the closest enemy.

DIRTY FIGHTING -- Play: Before you roll to fight an engaged enemy.
Effect: (pick one) Your character receives a +1d Brawl bonus or your character receives a +1d Dodge bonus .

AIN'T OVER YET -- Play: After a fight is resolved between two characters.
Effect: If neither character went down or out, the characters immediately fight again.

HOLD UP -- Play: When an enemy moves within 6" of one of your characters, you may interrupt the enemy’s activation if your character is not engaged, has a line-of-sight, and has not activated this turn.
Effect: Your character may shoot or rush the enemy immediately, but may not activate this turn.

SHENANIGANS -- Play: Before you roll to fight an engaged enemy.
Effect: You may roll Might, Finesse, or Cunning dice — instead of your Brawl dice.

SECOND WIND -- Play: When an enemy activates.
Effect: Roll a Recovery check for one of your injured characters (normal results apply).

BLAST IT! -- Play: As an action for one of your characters.
Effect: Place a 3” burst within 12” and in line-of-sight.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: New Fortune Cards for Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:34:21 AM »
Some nice twists here Dave. I like what you have done with these.

I think Hold Up could work with even more range, but that's because I like interrupts.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:10 AM »
I love that you've managed to keep a couple of 'modal' (i.e. it has two effects and you choose one) cards from the playtest bunch. And the choices offered are much more interesting than just drawing cards.

I particularly like Bum Rush ( :D ), Ain't Over Yet, and Hold Up.

In the recent playtest cards, you also had these two (hope you don't mind my reposting them):

IT'S EASY -- Play: When a challenge is revealed for a plot point or peril.   Effect:  The number of successes required to complete this challenge is reduced by 1.

IT AIN'T EASY -- Play: When a challenge is revealed for a plot point or peril.   Effect:  The number of successes required to complete this challenge is increased by 1.

...but didn't seem to be sure about them. What about a single card instead:

EASY?! -- Play: When a challenge is revealed for a plot point or peril. Effect: (pick one) The number of successes required to complete this challenge is increased or reduced by 1.

I think the tension between choices makes the card more interesting than something that just gives a straight bonus to yourself or a straight negative to your opponent. It also makes more powerful, but not by too much, I think. If you wanted to weaken it, you could have it apply to ONLY plot points OR Perils.

Also, one minor suggestion: I would change the name of 'Fighting Dirty' to 'Fightin' Dirty'  :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:18:15 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:10 AM »
Sucker Punch ~  Play: Before you roll to fight an enemy.  Effect:Your character receives a +1d Brawl bonus. Opponent can dodge on a -1d roll. (Because even a Pulp Hero at times can be a schmuck and can screw up a punch meant for a sucker)

Don't I know You? or You look familiar or Haven't We Met before? Play before you roll to fight an enemy. Effect: Your character convinces the opponent that they once met you and shared...? in a Bar, Lock Up and or Bordello. Effect: Opponent joins group if convinced successfully.

Old Adventure Wound. Play before you engage an enemy or an enemy attempts a major\minor peril. Effect: Opponent receives a -1d roll on combat\dodge or attempted perils.

Adjust the above as needed.  ;) 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
How about the old Bob Hope/Bing Crossby (Road to....)
'Patty Cake, Patty Cake'  Play when two (or more) of your charactors are in/about to be in a fight.
effect the opposition have to roll two sucesses on their cunning.
failure = a hit.
As Bob & Bing found out it was useful against followers, less so against their betters.

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
I've Got a Bad Feeling
Play: When an enemy activates.
Effect: Decrease one figure's Dodge -1d for this turn only. Also randomly decrease 1 Action Skill -2d. The victim's nearest friendly character also suffers this disadvantage.

Desperate Act
Play: Immediately after the game ends.
Effect: One final action or move by a figure of your choice. No full actions or running is allowed.

Cleaning House
Play: When your character passes a peril not caused by a plot point.
Effect: Eliminate the specific perilous terrain or reduce extremely perilous terrain to perilous terrain. Gain 1 Fortune card.

Like the Boss Does It
Play: Before a level 1 character attempts a challenge.
Effect: You may increase one Action Skill to 2d8 temporarily. Does not improve a Dodge, Shoot, Brawl or Plot Point resolution challenge. Gangs may use this card to improve an Action Skill to 2d6.

I Know Your Weakness
Play: When an enemy activates.
Effect: This character does not benefit from the card players choice of Hardened Veteran, Regenerate, Rugged, Monstrous or Indomitable for this turn only. Lucky Devil offers no protection from this card.

A Hail of Bullets
Play: When an enemy uses Quick-Shot against one of your characters.
Effect: The target of the attack also gains Quick-Shot, which can be used to respond to this attack, until the end of the turn.
Alternately: may be played as Fists of Fury to respond to a Quick-Strike.

At a recent convention game, a player used the Cleaning House card to reduce some extremely perilous terrain (the pyramid interior) to just perilous terrain in the 5th turn of a game. As everyone was out of Fortune cards, he waltzed up to the major plot point and nobody chose to play a peril. Had he rolled a little better on the challenge, he would have stolen the victory.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
I like the cards that give you two options. Those are going to be fun.  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »
I like the cards that give you two options. Those are going to be fun.  ;)

Yes, its definitely good for enhancing tactical flexibility.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
I really like:

Ain't Over Yet
Second Wind

I also like religon's Desperate Act. How many games would a character have gotten off the board, or taken control of a plot point if they had one more action?

Mike Demana

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
Lots of good ideas! THANKS for the suggestions. It really helps.  :D :D

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
I also like religon's Desperate Act. How many games would a character have gotten off the board, or taken control of a plot point if they had one more action?

Agreed!

'Like the Boss Does It' is a cool idea too... But I don't see why Gangs should be limited in this case. They could have one bright nerd in the herd who just once pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
Desperate Act is interesting, but my main concern would be about the possibility of it being a dead draw for much of the game (which was a problem I dealt with when thinking about cards that had more or less value the earlier or later they were played).

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:06 AM »
Ayup, lots of cool ideas. We're definitely going to have a tough time cutting it down to 10 cards.  lol lol lol

...but keep the ideas coming!  ;D

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 01:52:42 AM »
Soooo many good ones. It'll be hard picking the best.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 03:17:32 AM »
Here's a question for you Dave. Well for everybody, really. 

What common Pulp tropes does the game currently have no means of replicating?

One of my less-well-thought-out ideas was some sort of card that swapped two character locations. I suspect it wouldn't work mechanically, but "The ole switcheroo" is something to look at.

Maybe a card that switches control of two plot points? or switches the location of the major point and a minor point? (I think that second one might have a lot of problems in certain scenarios though). Neither of those sound quite right though - I'm sure there's a better idea.

I suppose the red herring could be Role-played as a "Switcheroo" moment too.

What other classic Pulp tropes could use some love?