Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:18:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 89267 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Sigur in Space! - Update: 2nd edition Ultramarines!
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2023, 06:17:20 PM »
@majorsmith: Thanks! :)

@Daeothar: :D

@Bloggard: Thanks, that's very kind of you. To me, as with most people who are from 'round here (where GW's domination over the wargaming scene is supreme), it all started with GW. Heroquest, Space Crusade, Battle Masters, then Warhammer 40k, some short stints into Warhammer Fantasy. The evil thing is that once the seed is planted, it's hard to get away from 40k. It's all quick and easy and you're taken care of.

@hubbabubba: Yeah, I talked about this (specifically 1st/2nd edition Space Orks, which were always a holy grail to me and of which I got a silly large collection in the early 2000s) with people recently: One of them regularly plays with people who started way after 2nd edition, and to them his old Space Orks (who got a devastating redesign in background and figures in 1998) actually make the game less enjoyable because they don't fit their expectation of what a Space Ork is supposed to look like. I'm a 2nd edition guy, thus to me this logo and the presentation will always evoke a fuzzy feeling, but I absolutely understand if people don't feel the same. And honestly in this day and age it must be a big relief  and quite liberating actually to NOT benostalgic about something for a change. :D I'm quite distrustful of nostalgia these days. And look back to the days before nostalgia with a bitter-sweet yearning. ;)

Well, here's the single unit photos:

...and that's that! Actually this was the third time I took unit pictures of the army. Once with cacti in the back, once with just the white background, but it never looked quite right, and I knew that I had to get a proper sky-blue fade background for them. So I went to the copyshop today (last one remaining in town, as far as I know!) and had an A3 sized backdrop printed. Speaking of paper, the back banners are mostly hand-coloured. Three of them I had colour copies of, but of course had to 'reinforce' the colours a bit by hand.

As I mentioned before, this wasn't quite like painitng any other Space Marines army, because I wanted to go with a specific style. So I went a bit ligther on some effects, a bit bolder on others and so on. Interesting experience. And putting them together was pretty cool. Just a breeze. I got another SM army (current figures) sitting in a box over there to build and the amount of pieces to get out of the sprue, clean them... it's just daunting. :D These here on the other hand - you got the metal body, you clean the arms, backpack, bolt gun and shoulder armour, you glue them on, done. Lovely.

Hope you like them!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #511 on: October 17, 2023, 08:11:13 PM »
love it - even going for the period-correct backdrop (?) - and it does look better with the real thing, printed by a copy shop.

It is a classic 'look' for photographing miniatures.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:38:18 AM by Bloggard »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #512 on: February 12, 2024, 11:24:52 PM »
@Bloggard: thanks very much! :) Yeah, it's an exceedingly pleasant look, I think.

Well, happy new year, everybody! Here's some Blood Angels.

Here's some Eliminators. Dreadnoughts for extra dread.

Hope you like them so far; finishing touches are to be applied.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #513 on: February 13, 2024, 12:59:27 AM »
The adaptive camo capes on the snipers look quite amazing! The rest of the figures look great, too, of course but that “turning on the cloaking” effect is something else.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #514 on: February 13, 2024, 01:10:59 AM »
I agree the snipers are amazing.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #515 on: February 13, 2024, 05:22:14 AM »
Wow

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!
« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2024, 03:05:37 PM »
@Pattus Magnus: Thanks very much! Yeah, it's a little gimmicky (and not my idea; I was shown a picture off the internet and was asked to do that effect), and takes a while to do, but it does draw the eye. :D Very often the player mostly sees the backs of their own figures, so it's nice that for once the backs have something nice to look at during play. ;)

@syrinx0: Cheers!

@LouieN: :)

Right, the BA are done, but I stil have to take pictures. No time, no time though, have to get stuff done for people to hand over at the various shows during the spring shows circuit. So after a quick detour into the mid-17th century for a ton of Croat light cavalry in 15mm (wargamer.pl figures from their By Fire and Sword range. First time I worked with their resin horses. they're nice.), let's get on to something new Sci-Fi.

Battletech!

Heck yea. :D I know incredibly little about Battletech, but I really like it. It ticks all sorts of boxes with me:
.) 90s illustrations
.) huge amounts of background to get into
.) not very hip or many news about it as far as I know (both of which being factors which annoy me :D )
.) old. :P

So yeah, I hope I get to learn a bit about Battletech whilst getting the figures done very swiftly and prettily. For now it's 20 Battlemechs.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2024, 11:47:59 PM »
Test figures (still slightly WIP).
I get way too much of a kick out of shiny sci-fi armour.

Anyway, the colour scheme and general approach seems to be acceptable to the gentleman I paint these for. Still a few bits left to do, but at least I know the direction we're going now. Once these two are finished I'll go tackle the other 18. It'll be lovely, but maybe I'm not too keen on highlighting edges for a while once I'm done. :D

Hope you like them!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #518 on: February 21, 2024, 12:44:22 AM »
That is a LOT of edge highlighting, but the effect is certainly striking! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the force as it progresses.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #519 on: February 21, 2024, 01:53:42 AM »
Amazing Mechs.  Great work on the edging. 

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #520 on: February 21, 2024, 11:11:35 AM »
Real pretty work on these!

A very clean Battlemaster and Panther(?), straight from the paradeground, obviously :)

Lovely scheme too btw...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #521 on: February 21, 2024, 11:59:48 AM »
@Pattus Magnus: I know, I'm terribly susceptible to dark, shiny sci-fi armour. If there's a large, single-coloured surface I try to make up for the lack of contrast in colour by making it shiny. Which is not the regular way of painting Battlemechs. :D And which I think I will tone down a bit on the rest of the lance (20 is too many for a lance, right? what is that? A company?)

@LouieN: Cheers! Well, they do call me the edge lord. :P

@Daeothar: Yeah, maybe a bit too squeaky clean. Maybe a bit more scratched-up than polished on the next few.... :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #522 on: February 21, 2024, 12:39:24 PM »
@Pattus Magnus: I know, I'm terribly susceptible to dark, shiny sci-fi armour. If there's a large, single-coloured surface I try to make up for the lack of contrast in colour by making it shiny. Which is not the regular way of painting Battlemechs. :D And which I think I will tone down a bit on the rest of the lance (20 is too many for a lance, right? what is that? A company?)

@LouieN: Cheers! Well, they do call me the edge lord. :P

@Daeothar: Yeah, maybe a bit too squeaky clean. Maybe a bit more scratched-up than polished on the next few.... :)

You can get away with shiney and new, as in the novels, mechs are often painted garishly and polished squeeky clean. Usually when receiving a dignitary on planet as an honor guard, but also after a notable victory, as part of a parade of the victorious forces.

Battlemechs in-universe are seen as a combination of a knight's armour, a fighter jet and a tank, and they're treated as such too :)

As for force composition: an Innersphere lance (equivalent to an infantry platoon) is comprised of 4 mechs, usually of different designs (due to availability, but also because of differing battlefield roles), and lances can be qualified (just like mechs) as scout, medium, heavy and assault, depending on the weight class of the mechs in them. A company is 3 lances, a battallion is 3 companies and a regiment is comprised of more than one battallion.

Clans do things differently; they have stars, comprised of 5 points (a mech is 1 point, 5 Elementals (powerarmoured infantry) also form 1 point). They are also defined by weight, exactly like their Innersphere counterparts. 2 stars are combined into a Binary, and 3 to 5 Binaries form a Cluster. Multiple Clusters are combined into a Galaxy.

So yeah; there ya go. Battletech nerdism at work  lol

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #523 on: March 21, 2024, 12:03:31 AM »
@Daeothar: Cheers for the info! Yeah, I saw some illustrations of Mechs basically standing around in front of some sort of military academy, kinda like they keep howitzers or ship guns in front of baracks or military schools. I liked that.

Heyhey, I'm back from VIVAT / Vienna Fantasy Gaming Convention. Here's my picture report:
https://www.battlebrushstudios.com/2024/03/vienna-fantasy-gaming-con-vivat-2024.html

...and here's some pictures of the Blood Angels I painted last month!

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2024_03/1shoopS.jpg.5bf697c4c05d08210a823d5455765533.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2024_03/5shoopS.jpg.49af8b55f4dbdc6b3cc34e74477f70aa.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2024_03/6shoopS.jpg.e467492ec6af29860b47b51ffb7270e1.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2024_03/7shoopS.jpg.e50a1d4982ea55c2e86770fc02ffc608.jpg

single unit shots with proper background to follow soon! Hope you like the army shots!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #524 on: March 21, 2024, 01:11:09 AM »
Utterly fantastic, as usual Sigur. :D