Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Konflikt '47 Season. 9/21 Sikhs assembled and primed.  (Read 14294 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (10/13 British troops pre-dip and reviewed)
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2017, 01:50:02 AM »
Finally got the Autonomous Infantry assembled today with their upgraded 50 cal's.  Didn't want to mess with the hands (which were cast to the original MMG's) so I mounted them directly to their new weapons.  I'll get some pics of them up when the finished standard infantry go up.

The comparison article is interesting, thanks.

The BEF troops will be in a different uniform (so I am told).

Where I have had integral bases, I used a razor saw to remove the base then pinned and glued them to the bases.

Of course for Weird War, I have followed Westwind's basing and used the lipped bases.

I look forward to seeing them once dipped, the green is certainly more muted.

I love the pose of the officer tipping his hat.
Thanks!
I wanted each of my officers and NCO's to have a bit of charachter. The hat tipper came out best, but I like the guy hunching and wagging his pistol too.  Definitely one situation where having a visible face would have helped the effect.

The BEF troops are wearing simlar enough clothing but they've got alot more gear on.  I have to say that I'm reasonably impressed with the comparison between the two.  There were inevitably going to be differences in proportion (especially the guns) but  I think they mix quite well.  I've heard through the grapevine that not all Warlord metal/plastic comparisons are quite as nice.

As for basing, for metal figs on resin scenic bases I'd probably have sawed them off  and pinned too, but champ industries plastics are as thin topped as a standard slotta.  That means it's actually pretty easy to cut a foot-sized hole and all you have to do is snip the cast-on base down to the size of the foot.  The resulting bond is about as strong as pinning but a good bit quicker.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
I just bought some raptors from Reaper to use in an upgrade of the war dogs unit from Resurgence.

See, I figure the brits tried to use rift tech to make a chicken that could feed a whole family & instead they got a highly intelligent and trainable carrion-loving zombie mauler...that could feed a whole family if the point blank shooting reaction is unusually on point for the Fritz.

And I'm planning to use greenstuff to make a winterized version wrapped in quilted dinosaur jackets because war-chooks don't like cold that much. That should inevitably end in unfortunate travesty.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »

Nice idea palaeomerus, I look forward to some pics :)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
One of our members just added some more Americans to his army.  Lots of dangerous dudes in gas masks and some in armor here:
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/10/17/konflikt-47-us-reinforcements/

I just bought some raptors from Reaper to use in an upgrade of the war dogs unit from Resurgence.

See, I figure the brits tried to use rift tech to make a chicken that could feed a whole family & instead they got a highly intelligent and trainable carrion-loving zombie mauler...that could feed a whole family if the point blank shooting reaction is unusually on point for the Fritz.

And I'm planning to use greenstuff to make a winterized version wrapped in quilted dinosaur jackets because war-chooks don't like cold that much. That should inevitably end in unfortunate travesty.
Amazingly twisted. Looking forward to seeing this!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2023, 04:12:40 AM »
It's 6 years later and I'm heading back into K47.   The club is planning a mini campaign in May.

My army is in almost the same shape it was then except that the British Infantry were finished shortly after my last post in 2017.

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/12/finished-konflikt-47-british-infantry/

Still haven't finished painting the armor though I'm now the owner of my friend's American force that I pictured earlier in this topic.

Lastly after over half a decade the Autonomous Infantry are finished and just awaiting a varnish.   More to come soon.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: I'm doing Konflikt '47! (3/6 Back in the Saddle)
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2023, 03:44:36 PM »
Looking good and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who made a bazooka team up.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2023, 10:29:19 PM »
Looking good and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who made a bazooka team up.
Thanks!
I'm not much of a build-for-advantage sort, but for a rifle focused list like the British, Bazookas water kind of an obvious choice.

Plus, fuff wise it also makes sense that by 1947 PIATs would be phased out where possible in favor of bazookas.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2023, 02:39:20 PM »
Alright! It's good to see more K47!

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »
Thanks!
I'm not much of a build-for-advantage sort, but for a rifle focused list like the British, Bazookas water kind of an obvious choice.

Plus, fuff wise it also makes sense that by 1947 PIATs would be phased out where possible in favor of bazookas.

Yeah, I built mine just because I wanted too rather than any in game advantage, there's also a PIAT team in the force.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2023, 05:38:56 PM »
Kind of a cool story, we got our K47 prep off to a bang recently with a huge donation of WW2 stuff.  A member of my model railroad club was getting out of wargaming entirely so as to focus on HO railroading.  He gave us a huge stock of  kits (Pictured below) with his only request be that they got used.  5 of us got together as a group and divvied up everything.   

It was mostly German and US stuff so it basically came out to tow armies significantly boosted and two entirely new armies handed out.  I've already got my own British under construction and a massive completed US force from a friend, but I found some goodies for myself taking a Stewart, Universal Carrier, Jeep and box of British infantry.   Was really cool though to see folks walking out with armies.

So for the brief Axis Vs. Allies Campaign, if everyone finishes their stuff we should have the following forces on hand for our 5 (or more) players.

British
American/British mixed
3 German
Quar (played as British)
Soviet.
2 American

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2023, 12:01:16 PM »
Minor reinforcement today.
Last night I picked up a pair of the 5 buck 3/4 Ton trucks from Menards that I learned about from @CapnJim . Very nice vehicles!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:20:00 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Konflikt '47 Season. (3/14. Cheap vintage finds. Maybe too big?)
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2023, 02:15:03 AM »
Dug these out recently. Found them years ago in a Revell multipack at at thrift shop. Simple vintage models and without a listed scale, but might be fine for gaming.  Built them and then mostly forgot about them until now.  Kind of cool models of less common vehicle variants.  The Sherman has a T34 calliope rocket rig (not pictured) and the Half Track is the M3 "Gun Motor Carriage" (GMC) version, netiher  vehicles is in my current collection.

Unfortunately at what I assume it's 1/48, they are quite a bit larger than proper 1/56 models. I've got 1/50 jeeps and a Churchill in my force and they look fine but these 2 being larger vehicles and quite common chassis, I fear the discrepancies may be quite apparent on the tabletop.

What do you all think? It's not like they are essential to my army plans. I've got plenty of jeeps and trucks and another unbuilt 1/56 Sherman kit.  Maybe they could live on in Grimdark Future?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 07:49:50 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Konflikt '47 Season.
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »
Looking at the British Army list yesterday and I've got a question about LMG's.

British infantry get's an extra shot for every 3 riflemen.  Thus, for a "Regular" infantry section (where each soldier is 10 points), 4 shots costs:
-30 points for 3 men with rifles.
-40 points for 2 men where one is given an LMG (20 points for 4 shots) and one becomes a non-firing loader.

Aside from 6 more inches of range on the LMG vs the rifles and the possibility that if your unit survives down to 2 men (unlikely, right?), you'll have a couple more shots, what's the advantage?

Seems like 10 points less for the riflemen and having an extra body in the unit would be a better deal.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2023, 06:03:29 PM »
Lots to love in this thread. The gasmask heads really make the armored US infantry look much better than their usual unmasked heads.

As for vehicles, nice thing about Konflikt 47 is that you can get away with modding the vehicles a bit aesthetically and just say they are “the new Jumbo model” or some sort of prototype “mini version”.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2023, 12:41:12 PM »
Lots to love in this thread. The gasmask heads really make the armored US infantry look much better than their usual unmasked heads.

As for vehicles, nice thing about Konflikt 47 is that you can get away with modding the vehicles a bit aesthetically and just say they are “the new Jumbo model” or some sort of prototype “mini version”.
Thanks, we did get quite enamored of gas masks for my British and the fellow who did the US army.  SotTR has a great range, and I'm working in some from Pig Iron Productions and Warzone Imperials.

I think I'm going to shelve the big Sherman and M3 GMC for now though. I've got enough properly scaled stuff to get done before the campaign as it is.

I am going to add this  M48A2 however. I sold the two pictured earlier in this thread, but apparently at some point I base coated this one also though I have no recollection of doing so.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:45:34 PM by eilif »