Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686649
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] A song of Ice & Fire (CMoN)  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: [Kickstarter] A song of Ice & Fire (CMoN)
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
Just as an aside did you folks realize that GRRM is approving all the designs? These are as official as can be with regard to the author's intent. Now whether they closely match the descriptions in the books is another matter...

I think you misunderstand us... it's all well and good that other people like the designs, it's just not doing it for me.  The KS seems massively successful and for people that enjoy an all-in-one package and are not modelers, or enjoy the more overt Fantasy vibe, I'm glad they have a game and/or figures to their liking now.  I'm not suggesting those people shouldn't like it, just that I'm not going to buy it because I have no desire to own them.  :D

I rather like the look of the Lannisters and Tullys, with their ornate plate armour. It's definitely fantasy, but nothing too silly.

Yes I think the designs for them work much better.  The Tullys especially, though they don't really jive with my vision of GOT, I can't deny the inherent cool factor of those designs.  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »

Just as an aside did you folks realize that GRRM is approving all the designs? These are as official as can be with regard to the author's intent. Now whether they closely match the descriptions in the books is another matter...

I think this (your final point there) is the point, Eric.
GRRM may well be approving all the lovely things that are put in front of him by HBO and other merchandisers and recreators of his fictional world. But the various fantastical, baroque visions of wardrobe, arms and armour so approved, are NOT what he has portrayed in his books, where the world of Westeros is pretty bog-standard medieval in almost every respect and reference.
So, either you go with the man's original intent and vision, and try to interpret that for yourself; or you accept the 're-envisioning' of his make-believe world by people with a lot more design resources and influences at their disposal, than George ever had in his head at the time he was writing the novels and creating his make-believe quasi-medieval world...

It's the same argument about the world Tolkien portrays in the Lord of the Rings. Visually, there's not a lot to it - iron helms and chainmail. Versus the uber-gothic interpretations of legions of illustrators, movie makers and model figure makers...

Either a toy soldier matches your idea of what you've read described in the book, or it doesn't. For me, nice as they are, some of these CMON GoT miniatures owe just a bit too much to established fantasy wargaming design convention. But it's a personal choice, of course  :)

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »
It's nice to see the discussion has enlivened very much and in such a pleasant atmosphere  :)

I think some of the views given here help me to understand why these praised background did not raise as much  money in the KS as I expected.

I am in the KS now, although I am not too sure about the quality of the rules by now.
We'll probably play some test games and see...

I am convinced the minis will make nice WHFB troops  :)

thanks and cheers Thomas
These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 08:03:58 PM »
@Beefcake: The DeLuxe rulebook is a must imho, even if you don't back this ks. I won't buy this for the models alone ( bended weapons isn't the biggest problem as CMON said they'd use different plastic for them, but the detail in the plastic just isn't good enough om 28mm  unit models imho ). I bought Blood Rage for the models but the standard vikings and smaller monsters arent't good enough imho. I kept it because the big monsters are great and the game is big fun, but it made me more wary about backing kickstarters with many 28mm humans for board games.
 As this one hasn't got any interesting ks-exclusive characters ( Seneschal is fun, but the rest are varieties ) I'll stick with the 20$ rulebook and will use proxies for the game.

Apparently it is not possible to buy the rulebook without pledging for the starter kit.

Im in it, though I have some doubts. Pledged enough for a few extra boxes and the rulebook. I like the look of most miniatures(even if they don't match my own vision of the novels) , and the rules seem OK.

PS couldn't give less of a shit about Hodor, personally.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:06:19 PM by Gandalf the G »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
I'll add it to the pledge of my backerbuddy but thanks for mentioning it  ;).
Leadhead

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
 Last hours for the project.The Blackfish mounted version has just unlocked and the Mountain mounted version is coming up next then the Iron Throne.

Offline Aeneades

• Bookworm
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 09:39:06 PM »
The last message from the Kickstarter previewed some of the retail exclusive models coming up including some heavy Bolton infantry, Lannister Pyromancers and another House Umber unit for Stark.

At Gencon they displayed some characters from the Nights Watch (including a war machine), characters and unit models from the Free Folk, a further war machine and Cold Hands riding an Elk.  So seem the second starter set next year is going for a Northern setting.  I am surprised they didn't at least reveal the models for the units during the Kickstarter as may have stired up some more interest.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 33

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »
Interesting.  Thanks, Aeneades.

-Michael

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »
 There is a video out which show's more figures.Some of the maybe Wildlings and Thengs.From what i could make out them looked really good figures.Wish they would post pictures of them online.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
Needs more Stannis.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
Have to say I'm curious - I've a few kitbashed plastic GOT; are these totally out of proportion to perry/fireforge/frostgrave? And when do late pledges close?

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »
I have some Dark Sword metals that I picked up on a sale, and they tower over my kitbashed models.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
Thank you! There's often a bit of wriggle room between ranges but your comment there reminds me - Dark Sword are much taller. Much as I like the figures I'd rather keep in scale