Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686455
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Copplestone eyes.  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Copplestone eyes.
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »
I find these quite unique to CC's figures, but basically they are little balls where the eyes are. Never seen these on any other figures, and I was just wondering how people go about painting them :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Copplestone eyes.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
I remove them.  Carefully with the tip of a scalpel blade.  

In fact, I do this with any figure that does not have the eye sculpted “correctly.”   If you paint eyes – I know that many painters don’t – it is easier to paint them in a “cleared” area.

Below a shot of some Copplestone that includes close-ups of the faces.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:42:33 PM by Hammers »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »
If you are a dab hand at painting eyes then orctraders is the man to listen too.

Otherwise I'm with Captain Blood, why bother its all perspective anyway, I think my stuff has improved since I stopped worrying about eyes, just drove myself nuts and lost confidence.

dodge

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
I think I'm going to start doing what Orctrader does. I just paint the eyes dark anyway.

And yeah, Mark Copplestone does have a somewhat funny way of sculpting eyes. Many of his figures end up with a somewhat beady-eyed, "inbred" look :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
Very timely advice. I'm having a devil of a time at this very moment trying to do the eyes on a Copplestone GN9 Sleuth (Sam Spade).

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »
Talking of eyes...

LINK

Just look at the photos first.  This is very much how I do mine.  Undercoat the flesh - only.  Paint the eyes.  Then paint the flesh completely.  Much, much easier to tidy up around the eye with flesh than trying to paint the eye in after.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
I got another little trick for the eyes that I've used lately. Paint the flesh as normal and then paint the eyes black. Finish the figure completely and give it one gloss coat as usual. Then use white to paint the corners of the eyes, leaving a black "spot" in the middle (or wherever you want it to be) for the pupil. Make sure to leave a thin black line all around the eye. Now the trick is that if you make a mistake, you can take a q-tip, make it a tiny bit damp and "erase" the white color. Rinse and repeat until satisfied. When done apply the second gloss coat on the mini and then go on as normal with the matte varnish. This works for me, doesn't necessarily have to work for you tho. :)

Oh, and of course make sure that the varnish drying times are paid attention to.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:22:50 PM by Remington »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
...Then use white to paint the corners of the eyes...

Something else I should have mentioned.  I never use white for the "whites" of the eyes.  I use Ivory or off-white.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
Yeah, sorry... me too. I use Titanium Buff (I think it is called that) by Daler Rowney. Writing without thinking it through again...  ::)

By the way, if someone wants to dip their miniature in FAP, doing the eyes after the dip is also a good idea. That way they don't go all dark and brown. And of course there is no need for a gloss coat before painting the eyes. Sadly I don't know if the humbrol gloss coat "likes" being on top of FAP after painting the eyes. I've usually only used Daler Rowney Matt Soluble varnish after doing the eyes.

PS: Too many "eyes"!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:37:49 PM by Remington »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »
This is very much how I do mine.  Undercoat the flesh - only.  Paint the eyes.  Then paint the flesh completely.  Much, much easier to tidy up around the eye with flesh than trying to paint the eye in after.

This is the technique I use.  Unfortunately I'm not very good at it...  :?

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »
Very nicely painted figures....thanks for sharing!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 11:42:38 PM »
I dont mind Copplestone eyes , its the Hasslefree ones that drive me crazy o_o I think just a black line is going to have to do on my latest batch. ::)