Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689480
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (May 2022: SPACE DWARFS!)  (Read 36890 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Beautifully done!

The derpy eyes betray the anxiety of standing on a non-standard 32mm base.

lol I can relate, I had some trepidation recently when considering basing an RT era terminator on something other than a 25mm ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Beautifully done!

lol I can relate, I had some trepidation recently when considering basing an RT era terminator on something other than a 25mm ;)

Remember guys its all good, the old Rogue Trader rulebook allowed for round, square, hexagon, oval, rectangular and bases of all sizes, so "nil, desperandum or even null perspiration"  lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
nice work on the warzone minis !

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Mario, Sonic and Zool: the Holy Trinity of video game mascots in the 1990s. Two of these characters are going strong to this day. Zool – the lovechild of Cool Spot and a Ninja Turtle – explored a visually intense platformer landscape deep with thematic heft, which let the Amiga gamer grapple with complex socio-cultural questions such as “What if world, but made of Smarties?”

Zool in action in the diabetes-inducing first level.

If you want to express your personality through the consumption of Zool merchandise, there are only dog-eared tie-in novels from 1995 to collect. And that’s not enough for me – I dreamt of owning a plastic rendition of my hero from the Nth Dimension. SO I MADE MY OWN.

This is my digital sculpt of Zool, created in Blender. As he’s some sort of weird ant, I printed him the size of a two-pence coin and painted him up with a specially made Chupa Chups base.

And then, to recreate the sugary joy of the original computer game levels, I emptied sixteen packets of Smarties into my lightbox.

Now that I’ve found a way to conjure miniatures from my imagination into paintable pieces, I am completely giddy with sculpting potential. What next? Maybe a 1990s British pop culture Justice League, with Superted and Bananaman.

Ninjabread out!

More miniatures at:https://www.ninjabread.co.uk
Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
 lol brilliant  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (Feb 2022: Imperial Space Marine)
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2022, 06:53:59 PM »
Limited edition miniatures are entirely my jam. Limited edition Space Marines doubly so. When Citadel produced this “Imperial Space Marine” to celebrate 30 (ish*) years of power-armoured super soldiers, I giddily hoovered it up.

Speaking of hoovering, get a load of that pose. Wacca wacca wacca.

The miniature is an update of the very first LE02 Imperial Space Marine released in summer 1985. Loads of care was put into copying over the details, from the vacuum-cuffs on the calves, the ribbing on the elbow pads, the rivets on the helmet, and the noodly wiring on the weapon. Here are the two versions side by side.

Something old. Something new. Something red. Something blue.

So there I am, thinking that I’m on the cutting edge of Space Marine miniatures with this lad, and actually it’s been out 5 years and has already had his Codex entry deleted. And the modern range of Space Marines are as big again.

Imperial Space Marine alongside Primaris Lieutenant Calsius.

And if you’re interested in learning the hands down best ever recipe and method for painting Ultramarines it’s over on the Ninjabread Patreon.

When the Marine The original LE02 Marine’s weapon was marvellously oddball. It’s classic mid-1980s Bob Naismith sculpting, where wiring and nozzles were de rigueur. This design of bolter was phased out by 1987 in flavour of the blockier designs that endure to this day. However, the 2016 Imperial Space Marine gloriously recreates the original noodle-nozzle weapon, reconceptualising it on the accompanying rules sheet as a “disintergration combi-gun”.

The Mark of Calth will continue to run. Look at him run. Run Mark, run.

Ninjabread out!

*The Imperial Space Marine was released in Spring 2016, which was 31 years after the original from Summer 1985.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2022, 07:53:23 PM »
Super sweet painting, I always enjoy your informative posts.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2022, 08:37:31 PM »
This is the sort of post that makes me want to stop what I’m doing and go back to Space Marine :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2022, 09:42:16 PM »
Actually, this is the sort of post that makes me want to stop painting Space Marines and take up carpenting...

That painting standard is so out there and flawless, I feel like a ham fisted oaf just looking at them...  :'(

Then again; I'll keep on trying and aspiring; after all, he hasn't done any Mentor Legion (yet)...  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2022, 01:31:23 AM »
Actually, this is the sort of post that makes me want to stop painting Space Marines and take up carpenting...

That painting standard is so out there and flawless, I feel like a ham fisted oaf just looking at them...  :'(

Then again; I'll keep on trying and aspiring; after all, he hasn't done any Mentor Legion (yet)...  :D

I can empathize with this so hard. I've been painting off and on since the early 1990s, and yet there are people who post stuff online that are all "been painting for about nine months or so, I have a lot to learn but I'm improving" and their skills are a multiple factor better than mine :-I

Just have to keep at it and remember the only competition that matters is my previous work...
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2022, 06:05:37 PM »
LOL I couldn't agree more, however part of it is finding a standard of painting that pleases you and then stick to it ;)

More power to your paint-brush guys :D

Glen

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (Feb 2022: DTN8 Remote Mine Droid)
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2022, 06:39:05 PM »
Thanks Dr. Mathias! 

Cheers Blackwolf.  Your stuff makes me want to stop Warhammer and get into Star Wars.

Daeothar – I'm sure you're do as good a job on this mini if you painted it in your Mentors scheme.  Crisp modern minis are easier to make look tight than old metal chonks.  I am painting some Mentor Legion at the moment tho...

NotifyGrout – in my experience, people massively misrepresent how long they've been painting almost as much as they lie about how long something took them to paint.  Anyway, comparison is poison, like NotifyGrout says.

Sometimes you’re playing your favourite science fiction miniatures game, and the random wargear tables generate a result for which you don’t own the miniatures. EVEN WORSE, the miniatures don’t actually exist. They were never made. Anger sets in. You feel yourself about to explode.

You refuse to reroll the result. You refuse to represent the wargear with a cardboard chit. The only option is to spend a whole year of your life learning how to sculpt so you can design your own version. After that, vacuum cast them in high quality resin so they’re proper playable, paintable miniatures.

I digitally designed these mine-droids as five pieces, so each droid could be assembled a bit differently, with bodies leaning at a jaunty angle, and turning heads.

DTN8 construction diagram.

To direct the trio of droids, I converted a Space Marine Comms Officer from Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader, adding a pair of aerials to his backpack with lengths of wire and plastic rod.

Brother-Mechanic Kailogue controlling DTN8 units Snap, Crackle and Pop.

Here they are trundling across a battlefield of the far future, bringing their payload of high explosives into the heart of an enemy formation. Their armoured shells protect from light arms fire until they detonate with the power of giant fragmentation grenades. They can be programmed to explode at pre-set co-ordinates, or piloted remotely, allowing them to respond to shifting battlefield conditions, and even sadistically chase a retreating foe.

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep .. BOOM.

Right, I can finally get on with my game now. I had to cast a few sets up, so expect to see some painted in other colour schemes soon.

Ninjabread out!

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (Feb 2022: DTN8 Remote Mine Droid)
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2022, 12:20:25 AM »
Is there any way to secure a trio of these fabulous miniatures, i remember them from my rt era hardback and always wondered if any minis were ever made of them.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
lovely stuff (very droll text too)

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2022, 06:01:26 PM »
NotifyGrout – in my experience, people massively misrepresent how long they've been painting almost as much as they lie about how long something took them to paint.  Anyway, comparison is poison, like NotifyGrout says.

Thanks for that. It's nice to hear it from someone at the pro level. For some reason, the probably-not-actually-new painters always say they've been painting for nine months, as if it's some sort of in-joke.

Also, I will second the call for STLs or physical copies of those cool little bomb-droids.