Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:19:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Build Your Own Super Hero - Wargames Factory  (Read 12575 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Build Your Own Super Hero - Wargames Factory
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »
feel free to post up your completed and painted examples my american friend.

Oh, I'm a crappy painter, but send me a digital camera and you got yourself a deal. Since I only have a crappy cell phone cam.

For a current example, I think this guy did a better job than I could:

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=23574

Will not be drawn into the amount of freehand blending on these, low quality, low detail on the minis. The detail hasto be painted on freehand by the guy! Good paint, rubbish figures.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »
I don't think anyone is really expecting anything earth shattering or great.  In fact, I expect them to be pretty generic.  I think we could end up with good pieces to use in mods or as blank templates.

The super hero miniature pickens are pretty slim.  We really only have SuperFigs, Living Legends, Pulp City, a couple from Reaper, and Heroclix which is no pretty much gone.  Comfy Chair is starting to put out some too but only have one at the moment.  Compared to Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Pulp there really are not that many options.  I welcome any attempt to make new supers by any company.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
I don't think anyone is really expecting anything earth shattering or great.  In fact, I expect them to be pretty generic.  I think we could end up with good pieces to use in mods or as blank templates.

The super hero miniature pickens are pretty slim.  We really only have SuperFigs, Living Legends, Pulp City, a couple from Reaper, and Heroclix which is no pretty much gone.  Comfy Chair is starting to put out some too but only have one at the moment.  Compared to Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Pulp there really are not that many options.  I welcome any attempt to make new supers by any company.

Don't hold your breath mate:

:D

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »
The WF stuff is shockingly rough. THey make up for this in bulk. Loads of zombies or the core of your romans for cheap.

However, superheroes are all individualistic, and you would only have a few in game so Im not looking forward to the WF heroes....

Offline Torradas

• Librarian
    • http://meiatorrada.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
I totally agree with Scurv - and I do see marked improvement of their sculpts over time. Still far from top notch, but very useful "fillers".
I donŽt jump with excitement at their releases but keep an eye on their updates. I must say that their Numidians (for example) look like a marked improvement of their Zulu War Brits (of which I bought a box, and are admittedly quite below par...).

IŽll just write it off to new techniques, lack of experience, whatever. When the subject matter is too interesting to ignore IŽll grab another box and compare. Hopefully it will be better - if they arenŽt, well... at least it wonŽt make a large dent in my wallet ;)
"And Lo, thou shalt close your legs in a snapping action whence your miniature slips from your hand when you are painting. And the paint will be fresh, and your trousers will be soiled, but you will smile - because the mini was saved"
Book of Lead-a-Holics, 3:16

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
I must confess to ordering a box of their zombies (almost by accident, I was ordering some metal figures from an online shop and noticed they stocked these as well) to see if I can combine them with tamiya WW2 figs and westwind zombieheads. I won't build any the way they are intended, but I'm hoping they can serve as conversion fodder.

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
I think you will find those ranges will not go together well WK. With everyone having a different idea of what 28mm is and proportions being all over the shop they will end up looking pretty mutant weird. (Which might be a good thing if thats what you want).

Well, the tamiya ranges are a small 1/48 scale, so in any event, I am expecting to do some chopping and repositioning of limbs, so it shouldn't be a problem. When I made my WW2 US flying platforms, the crew were the 1/48 figs, with modified limbs to reduce the height and west wind heads and weapons and the result was something that looked very much like a 28mm figure from the likes of artizan.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
Although I disagree with Vipers bile (did WF steal your lollies or something? You seem to have to have a tirade against everything they do.) I do agree that supers is really not something that would fit their business model. Supers is not really something you can mix and match parts of too well and you dont need bulk amounts of them to have a game.

A little off topic, their quality is getting better every time they do a new set. Considering they are the only ones doing full computer generated miniatures in plastic I think it's fair to expect there to be a learning curve.

Dont buy them if you dont like them Viper, the rest of us don't need your permission to decide what we spend our money on.

I also suggest curtis looks at his own range of figs before slinging mud. I personally think they are some of the most craptacular minis on the market.

I don't need your permission to purchase anything in the same way that you are totally free to spend your pennies on whatever you like.

I am voicing an opinion, as are a number of people who post on your 'big up my mates' posts.

These comments are backed by sight and handling of the product, review and critique of the renders, (which FYI are pretty shocking, but don't take my word for it, there's a number of very detailed threads over on frother's that fully analyse and comment on the anatomy, render design, practicalities of moulding and producing. Personal knowledge of the CAD/rendering process and a fairly good understanding of what makes good figures.

Oh and you may find that a certain mega corp in the miniatures world has been producing very detailed rendered sculpts for a number of years now....... (cough cough GW...cough cough).

If they improve great, but they really shouldn't enter the market until the standard of their product is in keeping with the bell curve generated by all the other players.

And re: ramshackle....craptacular? interesting word....never heard that before...probably digitally rendered?

;)

VYper

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 01:26:34 AM »
GW does not go straight from render to sprue. They like Victrix and WL do a 3 up and pantograph it.

Still, dont let facts get in the way of a good rant eh.

If that's the case then perhaps WF should consider doing the same, at least until they've mastered the technology and can produce anything remotely close in quality to 3d miniatures' products.  :?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 04:15:52 AM »
Yes Scurv, they're called Caeser. Now they know how to sculpt in plastic.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »
I think thats answered all my questions.

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »
Regarding the warlord games size, it was said that the romans, which I believe you are basing your opinion on and were their first set, were indeed too small, but later sets have been a normal 28mm size. I have a box of their ECW and they don't look smaller then my perry, TAG, etc... metal figures. Proportions seem to have improved from that first set too (and well, the wargames factory romans looked very horizontally stretched too).

I'll agree that there are some GW sets that just don't work. Several of the sets have that actionfigure look when you attach the separate parts (the catachans are horrible for instance). Probably why their more recent sets have less flexibility in the poses. But they have relatively crisp detail.

I'll let you know what I think of the WGF zombies when they arrive.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »
For God's sake, just fucking leave it will you guys? :-[

Some people like them, some people don't. I'm sick of this escalating pissing contest on every bloody site. I may have contributed to it once or twice on Frothers, and I'm sorry I did.

And now you've made me swear on the LAF! Only Hammers is allowed to do that!

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
For God's sake, just fucking leave it will you guys? :-[

I hope that doesn't extend to my posts... ;)