Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28480 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 05 11 18
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2019, 10:35:46 AM »
Some recent painting to fill out the ranks. These include some Perry continentals in uniform and hunting shirts. I'm hoping the guys in hunting shirts can also be used to fill out the ranks for militia and state line.

Another Continental casualty and a British leader:

Finally some civilians to give me some minor characters plus some people to add life to the table:

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
I love threads like these , gives me impetus to lift my own paintbrushes. Everything thing looks great figures, terrain, building and of course the fences . Brilliant posting and , more please . 👍

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
The pictures today didn't come through, so it caused me to go back through some of your earlier postings to see whether it's just me - those are all fine.  You've done some amazingly good brushwork here.  A nice collection!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2019, 01:52:15 AM »
Amazing! Love em'. Great painting, and great looking terrain.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
You'd want a lot less uniformity for militia, but as the war went on, it wouldn't be unusual to find ex-Continentals in their ranks as "vets" became more commonplace.  However, they would be fine for State troops, although for them and Continentals, I would personally go for all hunting shirts or all regimental coats in any particular group, as I suspect these things were issued a lot more "uniformly" (ie to a specific company, or to NCOs) than most people realise.  FWIW......  :D
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »
I visit this thread again and again to admire your paintjob and so nice pictures!
Especially in the last pictures I like very much the civilians! Well done! Congrats for your growing collection!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
You'd want a lot less uniformity for militia, but as the war went on, it wouldn't be unusual to find ex-Continentals in their ranks as "vets" became more commonplace.  However, they would be fine for State troops, although for them and Continentals, I would personally go for all hunting shirts or all regimental coats in any particular group, as I suspect these things were issued a lot more "uniformly" (ie to a specific company, or to NCOs) than most people realise.  FWIW......  :D

That makes sense, thanks. I have 16 Perry militia close to completion and to make up groups of 10 as per the SP lists I need a handful of additional figures to fill the ranks, hence my comment about some of these continentals finding employment in militia  units, if I can mix them in. Given the lack of uniformity in militia uniforms I’m hoping one or two men in regimental coats and a couple in hunting shirts will just add to the general non-uniform appearance until I can add extra militia.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2019, 04:07:17 AM »
And talking of the Militia, here are a dozen of the Perry metal Northern militia:

Plus a cart which will come in handy for foraging, attacks on supply convoys and similar scenarios:

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 04 02 19
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2019, 12:59:43 AM »
Amazing! Brilliant painting - nice looking game.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2019, 06:10:10 AM »
Inspired by such work, I've moved a box of 16 regiments from garage storage to workbench table for prepping for priming.  18 figures to a regiment - guess what scale?!  Keep inspiring me! 

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Very nice painting

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2021, 11:33:27 PM »
It's been some time since I added anything to this thread and while I haven't been super active there have been a several new additions.

The Renedra Church makes a lovely looking model however I didn't think it was particularly functional for gaming and made a few changes, you can see that build in this post https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2020/03/renedra-28mm-american-church.html

Sarissa produce several small houses in MDF. This one has a roof embellished with planks from Charlie Foxtrot. The chimney breast on the original model is very slim and so I made it much thicker using cork and then covered it all with wallpaper embossed with a brick print (bought in A4 pieces on eBay). The chimney pot was made from scratch using Milliput. I put the finished building on a small base and I really like the way that enhanced the look of the house.

I did the same thing for the larger plantation house that I made a couple of years ago. Amazing how the addition of a base makes such a difference. At the same time I replaced my original attempt at chimney pots using Milliput once again.

For Sharp Practice I needed a movable Deployment Point for my Americans and so used a couple of the Perry plastic figures in hunting shirts and mounted them on a 40mm round base. I thought they look like a couple of men who know their way around the local area.

At the same time I reworked my main British deployment point which suffered from two defects. Firstly it featured a bell tent, which is wrong for the period and secondly the entire base was too large to be practical and so I moved the figure and the campfire and transplanted them on to a 40mm round base as well. I think this works much better.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:37:01 PM by TacticalPainter »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 18 06 21
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2021, 05:42:38 AM »
So much to love in this thread. Great work! Good idea on the deployment points.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »
Just caught up with this thread and read it from the start.  Great project, fantastic painting and wonderful terrain.  Fabulous.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2021, 08:15:19 PM »
Just caught up with this thread and read it from the start.  Great project, fantastic painting and wonderful terrain.  Fabulous.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

What he said!   8)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"