Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 16 09 22  (Read 28750 times)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 19 06 21
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2021, 06:25:50 PM »
I've wanted a more general group of loyalists and Giles Alisson's excellent blog Tarleton's Quarter suggest you can make these using the Perry plastic continental bodies and the round hats that come with the plastic British regulars. I've used the British arms with muskets at the trail and gone with green jackets with white facings. Any thoughts on whether these would also pass as QR centre company men?

Yes, they would, but only for one particular year (I think it was 1778 - it came up in a thread on the QRs on here a couple of months back) as it was the only one where they were issued this style of clothing - for the rest of the war, it was green coats with green facings, for all QR contingents.  Sorry (and after you went to the trouble of doing a pre-1780 - leather caps - version of the unit, too!!!).

Don't despair though, the QRs are a fantastic unit for an all-arms SP2 force - you can have grenadiers, centre companies, TWO light companies (one in highland bonnets), riflemen (who can travel mounted if you wish, and even take part in a charge), two types of cavalry, and a small artillery piece.  Your "Loyalists" in green coats faced white, can double as "vanilla" Loyalists, or even Continental Marines if you need an alternative use for them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:30:13 PM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 20 06 21
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
A very, very nice looking QR unit you have there. They're on my to do list in metal, but in the meantime I have all the parts required to make those.
I made a large unit for Emmerich's Chasseurs after reading Giles Allisons'blog, with a small light company and a small unit of riflemen with as close as I could get to the 1776 rifles. But I could do with more Loyalists.   
PS Both groups I game with have a very relaxed attitude to the various theatres. I just favour Loyalist battalions with militia and native warriors. 

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 19 06 21
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2021, 12:02:06 AM »
Yes, they would, but only for one particular year (I think it was 1778 - it came up in a thread on the QRs on here a couple of months back) as it was the only one where they were issued this style of clothing - for the rest of the war, it was green coats with green facings, for all QR contingents.  Sorry (and after you went to the trouble of doing a pre-1780 - leather caps - version of the unit, too!!!).

Damn these people and their ever changing uniforms. If I didn’t know better I’d suspect all the colonels were in cahoots with figure manufacturers, hell bent on maximising how much cash they can extract from us! Rogers and Simcoe were the Games Workshop of their day 😂

Joking aside, many thanks for the informative response. I’ve found that other thread too, equally enlightening. At least those figures in the round hats can also serve as a vanilla loyalist unit (which was the main intention) but good to know they can do service elsewhere. I hadn’t even thought about Continental marines, good one!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2021, 07:31:25 PM »
One of the good things about the AWI, much like the ECW/TYW in fact, is that units are transferrable not just within an army, but even from one army to another - for example, Simcoe's, Tarleton's and Lee's corps all impersonated each other at some point in the Southern campaigns.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2021, 08:27:45 PM »
Rerally nice work.
Wonderful thread.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2021, 03:09:31 AM »
Another house for the collection, again from Sarissa’s North American range. I think this is called simply ‘house with stone chimney and porch’. As usual I’ve added roof tiles, these are from Charlie Foxtrot.

The chimney breast is very slender and so I’ve increased the size by cutting a piece of cork floor tile to shape and glueing it on.

The chimney and other stone effects around the base of the house I will wrap with embossed wallpaper with a scale brick print (eBay purchase).

I painted with craft acrylics and then glued the wallpaper on with PVA, the only reason to do it in that order is to avoid accidentally getting paint on it. I also made a small chimney pot using Milliput.

Next job is to make up a small base for it:

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 17 07 21
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »
Looks quite easily done, yet what an improvement that chimney is! Thanks for illustrating the process.
Looking forward to the finished base. Have to admit I already tried to copy your take on that church model and the yard you've created for it. So, please keep it coming! ;)

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2021, 03:40:51 PM »
Very good idea with the brick texture, will have to look into that.  I was dreading having to etch fieldstone walls by hand.  The finished project is lovely as usual.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2021, 06:02:21 AM »
Took a while to get the house finished off and based but it's done now:

While I was sorting through my terrain box I came across a few half finished stone wall sections that I had begun making years ago. I was using small aquarium pebbles and gluing them down in layers using PVA glue. It was a laborious process as I had to wait for the glue to dry before doing the next layer and obviously these three must have been left behind once my boredom threshhold had been reached. Looking at them I thought they could be made into sections of split rail fence with stones piled up beneath. Of course these three sections are nowhere near enough, so completing one project has probably inspired the start of another, but that said I do like the look of these and would be happy to add more:

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: First foray into the American Revolution Updated 01 10 21
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2021, 06:30:08 PM »
Your thread is a inspiration. :-* :-*
Will follow with interest. :)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2021, 06:31:47 PM »
Excellent work on the terrain!
Simon

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2021, 02:05:24 AM »
Looks amazing! That brick paper is a really nice touch; very realistic. I looked on Ebay, and they have some really nice brick and stonework paper sheets. Problem is they want to sell you like 16 sheets! I'll never use that much.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2021, 03:11:40 AM »
Looks amazing! That brick paper is a really nice touch; very realistic. I looked on Ebay, and they have some really nice brick and stonework paper sheets. Problem is they want to sell you like 16 sheets! I'll never use that much.

Thanks. Perhaps find other club members interested in having some/sharing cost? It's easy enough to store and I've used it multiple times. I have plans for a Sarissa factory for a WWII project that I will cover with it, so think I'll have no problem getting through my stash eventually (yeah right, just like the lead pile...... ;)).

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2021, 08:30:43 AM »
The brick paper is a really effective short cut, I get through 16 sheets no problem :)

I do like the idea of using cork tile to thicken up chimney breasts and the like and those fences look very good. Will be following this foray with interest.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2021, 07:40:38 AM »
We start a short Sharp Practice campaign this week. It's fictitious but based around the New York campaign. I wanted to add a few more leaders for the rebel militia and a mounted leader to depict the most senior leader on each side. The Militia are all from the Perry Northern militia command pack. The flags are temporary, I just wanted to have something on those flag poles before we start our campaign. The mounted leaders are also Perry and from their respective mounted leader sets.

Here they are set against the new house: