Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Rules Recommendation  (Read 5672 times)

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
Looking for Rules Recommendation
« on: December 17, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
I am looking to do some shootouts in the Wild West. I have considered just using the Pulp Alley rules since I am familiar with the rules. They are easy to grasp and I can pretty much use them in other genres as well. I have looked at the rules post in this forum and done a bit of research on the ones listed in that post. Some provide great details on the website provided. Others do not. I have a few things that I am looking for in a game.

1. I prefer the models to have stats. They don't have to be abundant but I prefer that not all fighters be the same. If this can be accomplished using traits or abilities, I am fine with that.
2. I prefer a low amount of modifiers on rolls. I don't want to have to apply several different modifiers to a shooting or melee action.
3. A variety of scenarios or objectives to the game. I am not a fan of just killing your opponent. I need to achieve objectives like rescuing the citizens or blowing the safe.
4. Preferably a campaign system. I like to see my gang or posse or league whatever you want to call them grow and get better.
5. Lower side model count. I prefer games with 10 or less models per side.
6. I used to play Deadlands so if there is a supernatural twist that can be added to the game that is a plus. I primarily intend to play humans vs. humans. But it might be nice to be able to add a wrinkle with werewolves, vampires, zombies and such on occasion.

Right now it is looking like Dead Man's Hand or Blackwater Gulch are in the lead. But I would like the forum's opinion. Any replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site
Re: Looking for Rules Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »
I'd heartily recommend A Fistful of Lead.

Meets all the requirements you've listed and comes with scenarios in the book and a second separate scenario book is available.

The mechanics are easily picked up in a first game and there is a lot of characterisation through traits.

Our group has been using them for a couple of years now, initially for Old West but of late we've done VSF, Gothic Horror and Cartel Wars. We've also played Napoleonic, F&IW and Smugglers with the Horse and Musket supplement.

Give them a try!
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
There's a whole Rules for Old West thread around here somewhere, but I also heartily endorse Fistful of Lead. I also wrote them.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
I'd heartily recommend A Fistful of Lead.

Meets all the requirements you've listed and comes with scenarios in the book and a second separate scenario book is available.

The mechanics are easily picked up in a first game and there is a lot of characterisation through traits.

Our group has been using them for a couple of years now, initially for Old West but of late we've done VSF, Gothic Horror and Cartel Wars. We've also played Napoleonic, F&IW and Smugglers with the Horse and Musket supplement.

Give them a try!

Seconded, we’ve used these for over a year and are our go to set of rules. Loads of fun, simple but clever card driven mechanics.
I’ve played Dead Mans Hand but much prefer Fistful of Lead.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 04:43:41 PM »
I've used FfoL for Old West for years and the new Galactic Heroes set adds loads of customization. Great rules.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »
While I am yet to play it, I would imagine Osprey's Dracula's America meets most, if not all, of your criteria. It is admittedly, as the name implies, supernaturally-themed, but I understand those elements can be readily ignored if required.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:33:14 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:26:41 PM »
I have to agree -"Fistful of Lead" and "Dead Man's Hand" both fit the bill - DMH possibly has a few more modifiers than FFoL. The Rules With No Name are also good.

There's a whole Rules for Old West thread around here somewhere, but I also heartily endorse Fistful of Lead. I also wrote them.

And as the good Baron says, there is a rules sticky at the top of the board page, although it doesn't go into to much detail about actual game mechanics.

RMZ

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »
I have to agree -"Fistful of Lead" and "Dead Man's Hand" both fit the bill - DMH possibly has a few more modifiers than FFoL. The Rules With No Name are also good.

And as the good Baron says, there is a rules sticky at the top of the board page, although it doesn't go into to much detail about actual game mechanics.

RMZ

Thank everyone for their responses. I did look at the sticky topic  before I submitted my topic. The problem was that only GunFighter's Ball, Blackwater Gulch, and Dead Man's Hand seemed to give any real details on how their game is played on their websites.

Gunfighter's Ball from the rules I was able to read, seemed like every model was the same except for their weapon loadouts. They all seemed to have the same number of wounds, no talents,  abilities, or any statline that account for an individual model's abilities. Blackwater Gulch seemed alright, but then I saw all the stats, details about strength determining how many weapons to carry, etc. This caused my eyes to kind of glaze over. LOL Deadman's Hand seemed promising if a bit on the pricey side. Over $20 for a 44 page comic book stapled product seems a bit high to me. And where is the PDF option? LOL The website for Fistful of Lead had absolutely no details. Their roster sheet gave me the impression that models might have talents or abilities, but there didn't appear to be any stats. I also have no idea what type of system it uses. I saw a bit on a game called Tombstone, but I am not sure if that is even out yet. I had also considered Dracula's America. I get the impression from it though that everyone is pretty much the same until you get a few games into a campaign and people start to get injuries or level up.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there for these types of skirmish games. I found almost no battle reports on YouTube.

Regardless of what system I look to use, I did find the Blackwater Gulch, Gunfighter's Ball, and Black Scorpion miniature lines to be to my liking. I will probably start out with some of the Blackwater ones first because they are U.S. based and seem to be the cheapest option. For terrain, I will go with TT Combat since I have a lot of their Venice buildings and I am very impressed with them.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 07:00:06 AM »
The main 'stat' for a FfoL character is their dice type. It's normally d8 for greenhorns and townsfolk, d10 for most characters and d12 for experienced gunfighters. Most characters can take 3 wounds before they're off, though they can be immediately killed under certain circumstances. Traits can raise or lower wound levels and dice types for certain actions, ie. Some characters might be better at hand to hand combat, or shooting, or resolving tasks.

The card activation system gives an element of uncertainty in the turn but also gives you tactical control of how you play based on your cards and the special rules that some give. High cards get your character activated at the start of the turn but the special abilities of the cards tend to be passive (recovering a wound or recovering from shock), though jacks offer offensive bonuses. The middle cards and the 2 offer larger benefits but you have to wait to activate. For the cost of the pdf it's worth picking up Fistful of Lead Reloaded and Galactic Heroes. I had the pleasure of gaming with Jaye at this year's blam and his main ethos is fun. This comes across in the rules.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
We really like Dead Man's Hand. A real cinematic feel, with cards used both for activation, and played from hand to cause stumbles, jams, allow characters to survive and so on.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »
We really like Dead Man's Hand. A real cinematic feel, with cards used both for activation, and played from hand to cause stumbles, jams, allow characters to survive and so on.

The action cards are the game and are sold as a bundle with the rule book. As Steve says, the game has a very cinematic feel and plays well.

@spect_spidey - an example of the card can be seen in my AAR here - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108433.0

And my collection of FFoL character cards can be seen here -
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105278.msg1356097#msg1356097

RMZ

Offline Euthanasor

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
You may enjoy "6 gun sound" by "two hours wargame".

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
You may enjoy "6 gun sound" by "two hours wargame".

+1 for this. A new version has just been released. See here - http://www.twohourwargames.com/sixgunsodeel.html

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
+1 for this. A new version has just been released. See here - http://www.twohourwargames.com/sixgunsodeel.html

Thanks for that. Just ordered it, partly swayed by the claim of outstanding solo capability.