Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (12/11, P.10 - 1420s Foot Knights)  (Read 27135 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Excellent mate and worth the wait  :-*

What have you got planned next for Montlhery?

Funnily enough, just last night, I was just reading a brief translation of the Les Batailles Oublies battle of Montlhery, July 16, 1465 book someone very kindly did for me about a year ago.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Excellent mate and worth the wait  :-*

What have you got planned next for Montlhery?

Thanks! I think next for the Montlhéry figures I'll probably move on to either Louis de Luxembourg's vanguard, the artillery train (featuring another of the many Montlhéry Luxembourgs!), or a few 'generic' units to fill out the numbers a bit and to have some freedom to swap out banners and leaders too!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks! I think next for the Montlhéry figures I'll probably move on to either Louis de Luxembourg's vanguard, the artillery train (featuring another of the many Montlhéry Luxembourgs!), or a few 'generic' units to fill out the numbers a bit and to have some freedom to swap out banners and leaders too!

I look forward to it  8)

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
Just caught up on this wonderful project. Great work!

Are all the plumes in the Perrys Plastic Mercenaries box?

Cheers

Richard P  :D
I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilise, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Just caught up on this wonderful project. Great work!

Are all the plumes in the Perrys Plastic Mercenaries box?

Thanks!

The plumes for Charles' archers (and the mounted men-at-arms) are from the Perry metal Swiss heads (some of them needed to be patched up with Green stuff though!), Antoine's archers use plumes from Anvil Industries' "Decorative Feathers" set though, if that helps!

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
Brilliant many thanks 👍

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (12/11, P.10 - 1420s Foot Knights)
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »
Hi again! It's uh...been a while!

I've been spending the last couple of months chipping away at a big block of Burgundians.In most of the muster rolls of the Burgundian army in the early 15th century, the vast majority of all the troops are men-at-arms (or knights), with archers or other footsoldiers never being more than half of any given engagement. So with that in mind I figured I'd best get to painting!  Originally it started as a block of 12...then 24, and then I somehow ended up painting up the full 48 of them!

The unit is mostly to represent the men-at-arms and knights fighting under Philip the Good in the 1420s and 1430s after the Burgundians largely adopted fighting "in the English style," afoot and amongst the archers. The Burgundians were VERY keen on adopting those tactics, to the point that at Bulgnéville in 1431 an order was put out that every man was to dismount and place his horse a good distance back from the lines, and if any man remounted he would be put to death! I've left specific liveries and badges off of most of the figures so they can be used for men under John the Fearless as well during his own campaigns against the Armagnacs.

I was a bit indecisive about which knights to include as leaders in the group, seeing as I wanted to keep them somewhat around the same times, geographical areas and battles. So I've split them into the two blocks for roughly the same areas

Group one is led by Claude de Chastellux, Jean de Villiers de L'Isle-Adam and Jean de Luxembourg, grouped roughly around the campaigns in the Loire and the occupation of Paris in 1417

Group two was easier to plan around, where it was easier to find battles they were all involved in (Bulgnéville and Cravant). So the leaders there are Antoine de Toulongeon, Antoine de Vergy and Philippe de Ternant

I've mixed in a few men-at-arms with aketons to represent some older or poorer men-at-arms in the unit (or some figures to use for Nicopolis or Othée!)

And here's a lineup of each of the knights, the banners are removable so they can be mixed and matched depending on the engagement:

Let me know how they've turned out!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2021, 07:57:58 PM »
Splendiferous Happy  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2021, 09:42:49 AM »
Lovely   :-*

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
Very nice, well done on the freehand heraldry!

Mixing the metal figures into the plastic set works really well, always good to add more variety like that.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Very nice, well done on the freehand heraldry!

Mixing the metal figures into the plastic set works really well, always good to add more variety like that.

Thanks! I definitely ran into a few times where I was worried I was running out of poses with the arms/bodies in the plastic kits, so the metal figures definitely helped there!  :D