Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars- Up and Coming Vignette- Page 20- UPDATED- 05-04-2023  (Read 39762 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
They look great! Great work on the bold colours!

Thanks Happychappy. I use a mix of washed from the Vallejo Game colour range (and the Army Painter water based "tones" to some extent) which gives quite a vivid effect.

Rookie question but are they all Perry figures?

Yeah, all from their European Armies range.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I just love those Stradiots.  Wonderful painting, so crisp and clean.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I just love those Stradiots.  Wonderful painting, so crisp and clean.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Thanks Hu Rhu. Dare I say, deceptively crisp  ???

Eg. I base coated and washed the padded armour then highlighted the raised parts of the linen sharpish. Then painted in the recesses in the padded armour again with the same wash used to darken it over the first coat. at the moment I'm looking for "cheats" for the rank and file of this army. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of miniatures to be painted and if I'm ever going tg get the damn things on the table....

I'm going to put a lot more effort into the command bases and vignettes as they tend to catch the eye. :)

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
This is looking great. I look forward to seeing them in their hundreds and hundreds!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
This is looking great. I look forward to seeing them in their hundreds and hundreds!

Me too!

At six to eight a miniatures a day, I'm not going to even think about the length of time it is going to take!  lol Meh, time will tell :)

The Swiss pike block alone will 128 miniatures strong and pretty much 100% metals!  :o

That's on (admittedly large) unit out of 20 or 30! A big game ;) :)

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Looking good!

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Love the stradiots! They have inspired me to finally get some for my 15mm Italian Wars forces.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks Richard and Ocius.

Love the stradiots! They have inspired me to finally get some for my 15mm Italian Wars forces.

They are such a colourful unit and in many ways they really stand out in the armies in Italy of the period.

What manufactuer were you thinking of? I don't know that much about the 15mm game but I'm considering possibly putting together a L'Art de la Guerre/Mortem et Glorium in 15 mil army at some point. Would you recommend any other rules for the Late 15th C?

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Super Stradiots!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Those stradiots are lovely!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Super Stradiots!

Cheers Simon, they were a lot of fun to paint. Had a bit of an school boy error accident yesterday and dropped a pan on my hand (I know!  o_o) so the painting is a little slower then usual for yesterday and today.

Should have eight more Swiss in swanky "Free Company" dress similar to those featured in the artwork of The Italian Wars Volume 1, The Expedition of Charles VIII into Italy and the Battle of Fornovo finished tonight with any luck  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Those stradiots are lovely!

Thanks Majorsmith  :)

Super Stradiots!

Cheers Simon, they were a lot of fun to paint. Had a bit of an school boy error accident yesterday and dropped a pan on my hand (I know!  o_o) so the painting is a little slower then usual for yesterday and today.

Should have eight more Swiss in swanky "Free Company" dress similar to those featured in the artwork of The Italian Wars Volume 1, The Expedition of Charles VIII into Italy and the Battle of Fornovo finished tonight with any luck  :)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Thanks Richard and Ocius.

They are such a colourful unit and in many ways they really stand out in the armies in Italy of the period.

What manufactuer were you thinking of? I don't know that much about the 15mm game but I'm considering possibly putting together a L'Art de la Guerre/Mortem et Glorium in 15 mil army at some point. Would you recommend any other rules for the Late 15th C?
I think I might go with Mirliton as I could then also get some of their very nice Italian infantry with the big shields (discussed at very illuminating length earlier in this thread - I was reading it all earlier today!)
In terms of rules, I have limited experience and have only used Pike and Shotte, which I felt was nice and straightforward but needed modifications to army lists (which is very easy and encouraged by the writers). We used it as we were familiar with Hail Caesar and it’s similar to that.

Offline Sirolf

• Librarian
Amazing work Atheling, can't wait to see more of it!!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Amazing work Atheling, can't wait to see more of it!!

Me too! As I said earlier, yesterday I dropped a bloomin' pan on my painting hand! I don't think anything is broken but I'm giving until tomorrow just on case. It's nice and bruised, hurts but nothing is wonky  lol