Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italian Wars- Up and Coming Vignette- Page 20- UPDATED- 05-04-2023  (Read 39770 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
excellent work, rich colours but you have managed to convey a sense of grim determination and stoic resolve in the forces of el gran capitan.

Thanks mate- appreciated- I've got a load of Spanish pike cleaned primed and undercoated to join the unpainted Swiss now!  lol The Spanish will be first - they are just such lovely characterful miniatures :)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
This is a bit after your period but inspiring nonetheless

http://tapestries.flandesenhispania.org/index.php/The_Conquest_of_Tunis_series

The original illustrations are displayed in Vienna at the Kunsthisrisches Muzeum- I spent a long time studying them both times I saw them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
This is a bit after your period but inspiring nonetheless

http://tapestries.flandesenhispania.org/index.php/The_Conquest_of_Tunis_series

The original illustrations are displayed in Vienna at the Kunsthisrisches Muzeum- I spent a long time studying them both times I saw them.

Thanks George- appreciated old bean.

It looks very much like the Kunsthisrisches Muzeum needs to be added to my post Covid to do list! I'm going to have to have a chat with you about the museums  you visited when writing the Marignano book for the Lance and Longbow Society too!

BTW, if anyone is interested in George's excellent book it is available here (Pub-04 - Marignano 1515):
https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop.php

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
Also worth a visit is the Imperial Armoury in Vienna.

That book was the result of me having a reader's pass to the British Library    I was able to charm the young Frenchmen working at the photocopy counter into printing off the account by Guicciardini from the 1745 Goddard translation ( the Clough translation is abridged and omits the battle accounts) for free.   If you want I can scan and send it to you by email.

Darrel I have visited a lot of places- I enjoyed Chateaux Grandson and Chillion which house part of the Burgundbeute

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Also worth a visit is the Imperial Armoury in Vienna.

That book was the result of me having a reader's pass to the British Library    I was able to charm the young Frenchmen working at the photocopy counter into printing off the account by Guicciardini from the 1745 Goddard translation ( the Clough translation is abridged and omits the battle accounts) for free.   If you want I can scan and send it to you by email.

Thanks again George, that's very good of you as always mon mai :)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
I've emailed you an image of a cavalry standard being borne aloft by the Jinetes . I am looking foreword to you adding some Jimetes with teh standard.

Have you seen the Condoittieri de ventura website, an incredible resource for the Italian Wars. Filled with descriptions of the various skirmishes and  named commanders
https://condottieridiventura.it/1500/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I've emailed you an image of a cavalry standard being borne aloft by the Jinetes . I am looking foreword to you adding some Jimetes with teh standard.

Received and many thanks again George.

Have you seen the Condoittieri de ventura website, an incredible resource for the Italian Wars. Filled with descriptions of the various skirmishes and  named commanders
https://condottieridiventura.it/1500/

I've now got the site saved in my bookmarks. I haven't had a chance to read it yet so can I ask, how far into the 16th CE does the site go?

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist

It looks very much like the Kunsthisrisches Muzeum needs to be added to my post Covid to do list!
Before you go, you might want to get a copy of the book containing the "cartoons", Der Kriegszug Kaiser Karls V. gegen Tunis: Kartons und Tapisserien. According to Daniel S., some of the "cartoons" are so high up on the walls, that you can't see it properly, so this book is of help, unfortunately, it's only in German. The depictions of North Africans and scenery is better than the ones in the Pastrana Tapestries, though I don't see any body armor among the Tunisians. Eduardo de Mesa's Los tercios de las campañas del Mediterráneo s. XVI (Norte de África) references the tapestries and Ángel García Pinto's plates are based off of them.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
I bought the Kriegszug book when I was last in Vienna .  I managed to scan and crop an image of a unit. likely to be Jinetes carrying aloft a standard. 

The Tunisian cavalry are depicted with zero body armour and wielding spears that look to be about 10-12" long wielded one handed. Other cavalry are shown firing arquebus from horseback.

I wonder how much of this is artistic licence.  There is one image of the Tunisian cavalry who look like they came off the set of a Hollywood Arabian Nights movie
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:01:09 AM by Doom Beard 78 »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks George and Condottiere.

At present I'm trying to limit the time period to that of Fornovo to Bicocca (perhaps a little beyond at a later date) and geography to that of Italy and my projects within ;) :)

That is not to say that I don't appreciate your contributions.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Italian Renaissance- Spanish Arquebusiers Page 12-UPDATE 29/07/21
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »

The first unit of what will be the army of Gonzalo de Cordoba for my Italian Wars project. I aim to do both sides for the Battle of Cerignola 1503, in my opinion one of the most pivotal battles during the series of conflicts we call The Italian Wars. After his defeat at the hands of the French and Swiss at the Battle of Seminara 1503 Gonzalo put into place plans to employ his smaller force more efficiently in a defensive manner. He significantly lengthened the pike, equipped his men with more arquebus' and enlarged his artillery train and set his army firmly on the defensive. The addition of mercenary Landsknechts to further bolster his forces. It was in this way that Gonzalo was to send the forces of Louis de Armagnac, Duc de Nemour's overwhelming numbers of a mix of French and Swiss reeling and into eventual retreat. If not annihilation in the case of the Swiss.

More pictures from a lower angle on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2021/07/spanish-arquebusiers.html

The miniatures are being based up for as many rules systems as I can possibly fit in as I am done with rebasing. I'm in my early 50's now and the days spent plying miniatures off one base then going through the process again are over!

As an aside, I have been watching on Twitter excitement tantalising glimpses of an Italian Wars playtest set of rules but the Too Fat Lardies. A medium sized game, along the lines of Infamy, Infamy! and Sharpe Practice. This will be a great set of rules to slowly bring together both sides for Cerignola without painting up thousands of miniatures and will allow me to actually get some games in!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: To Fornovo and Back Again! Spanish Arquebusiers Page 12-UPDATE 29/07/21
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
Great looking arquebusers. And I am really looking forward to seeing some Italian wars from toofatlardies. Got a link to the post about it?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
Beautiful figures and lovely painting Darrell  :-*

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »