Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Mirambo (Heaps of Corpses) painted.  (Read 66303 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - More Arabs
« Reply #315 on: October 05, 2020, 03:23:11 AM »
Wow! This thread has a wealth of information and some brilliant artistry. Thanks for taking the time to share all this!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #316 on: October 05, 2020, 08:03:39 AM »
Wow! This thread has a wealth of information and some brilliant artistry. Thanks for taking the time to share all this!

Thanks Rick glad you like it.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #317 on: October 05, 2020, 11:28:58 AM »
Bravo, Jon! Your productivity puts some of us to shame.  :)

Looking forward to the Baluchis, I think those guys are my favourite figures from Copplestone's Foundry Darkest Africa days (I think my favourite overall are the Tuta he did later).

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #318 on: October 05, 2020, 03:10:19 PM »
Bravo, Jon! Your productivity puts some of us to shame.  :)

Looking forward to the Baluchis, I think those guys are my favourite figures from Copplestone's Foundry Darkest Africa days (I think my favourite overall are the Tuta he did later).

Thanks Plynkes the first batch of Baluchis I painted were fun to do. I have to say I really like his Dinka miniatures even if I did behead most of them but that might be because painting butt naked spearmen is really easy.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #319 on: October 05, 2020, 03:26:52 PM »
Hehe, maybe it's that, like my good friend Hammers, you just like painting tiny naked men? ;)

I have actually come to a place where the more clothes they are wearing the more I enjoy painting my tribesmen. I think it's just a matter of after having painted so many naked or near-naked spear guys I tend to find it something of a chore. But you are right about those Dinka and others like them, once you have painted the flesh, there isn't a whole lot else left to be done.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #320 on: October 05, 2020, 04:08:06 PM »
Hehe, maybe it's that, like my good friend Hammers, you just like painting tiny naked men? ;)

I have actually come to a place where the more clothes they are wearing the more I enjoy painting my tribesmen. I think it's just a matter of after having painted so many naked or near-naked spear guys I tend to find it something of a chore. But you are right about those Dinka and others like them, once you have painted the flesh, there isn't a whole lot else left to be done.

hey if I could find a historical army of butt naked females I'd be painting them  :D

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #321 on: October 06, 2020, 11:24:38 PM »
This is the most inspirational thread I've seen on LAF since Hammers' "Chicken Race on the Arumbaya" thread in the Triumph & Tragedy section. And this is just 10 months of work? Magnificent!
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #322 on: October 07, 2020, 07:35:11 PM »
This is the most inspirational thread I've seen on LAF since Hammers' "Chicken Race on the Arumbaya" thread in the Triumph & Tragedy section. And this is just 10 months of work? Magnificent!

Thank you for the kind words and putting me onto Hammers thread which I hadn't been aware of (lots of cool stuff on that thread).  Yes I guess is has been 10 months oddly enough I have so many ideas and plans, for this project, floating around in my head it feels like I've not actually made much progress towards everything I'd like to do.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2020, 05:20:06 AM »
Another short update. Zanzibari October is in full flow and after last weeks musket armed Arabs this week I’ve painted up some sword armed Arabs for a change of pace. I have the next batch of musket armed Arabs started on the painting table but there are still plenty more to paint.

I just need to avoid getting distracted. Having finally got my hands on the  OOP Foundry book on the Colonial Armies in Africa (to add to my two Chris Peers Foundry books) I’m finding my focus increasingly drawn to the Portuguese in Mozambique to the point I’ve even purchased a few miniatures to attempt some conversions of African Cacadores…..

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Now with Arab Swordsmen
« Reply #324 on: October 12, 2020, 08:34:24 AM »
Lovely stuff as always, Jon.

Is the bare-headed swordsman a conversion, Jon? I'm sure I have that pose but with a different head. If there are head variants in this range I never noticed it before. :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2020, 10:28:42 AM »
Lovely work Mr Diablo  :-*

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
Thanks guys.

Lovely stuff as always, Jon.

Is the bare-headed swordsman a conversion, Jon? I'm sure I have that pose but with a different head. If there are head variants in this range I never noticed it before.

Yes well spotted. Both the bare headed guy and the guy in the white Fez are Foundry Baluchi in Arab dress with the heads swapped out for Perry plastic Ansar heads and then painted as Swahili

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #327 on: October 15, 2020, 08:02:36 PM »
As I mentioned in my last post I recently got hold of the OOP Wargames Foundry book on Colonial Armies in Africa. This has finally given me some info on the Portuguese in Mozambique during the 19th century.

I've been interested in the Portuguese after I read a few snippets about Major Serpa Pinto's Shire River expedition which nearly lead to war between Portugal and Britain during the scramble for Africa. The major issue stopping me doing anything with the Portuguese was that information about Portuguese forces in Africa  appears to be rarer than hen's teeth unless you are interested in the 20th century colonial war

As soon as I saw the picture, in the book, of an African soldier in a  loincloth and a kepi I knew I needed a Portuguese army for Africa. Of course no one makes African Portuguese soldiers for the 1860s-1880s in 28mm so I was going to have to get creative.  I ordered a selection of miniatures that I thought I could use, with some conversion, and put them on a shelf and got back to painting Arabs ....for about 20 minutes before I broke down grabbed a few of my new miniatures and attempted to make some Cacadores de Africa based on the pictures in my new book....doh

So these are really just test pieces to see what I could achieve. Some of the details are probably a bit off but I think they are heading in the right direction I really want to put together a few units of these guys for TMWWBKs now but first I have Arabs to finish...

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Getting Distracted by the Portuguese
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2020, 11:55:42 PM »
Very cool! Keep on researching.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Getting Distracted by the Portuguese
« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2020, 04:15:14 AM »
Fascinating! And great idea. Follow your passion mate, it makes for great art.