Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Macedonian/Successors project - (9/23 - Scythian Chieftain)  (Read 19667 times)

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2020, 09:25:09 PM »
I like the look of the Galatian unit. The Essex figures take me back and it's great to see them getting a little bit of love.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 02:28:16 AM »
I like the look of the Galatian unit. The Essex figures take me back and it's great to see them getting a little bit of love.

Thanks :) No idea when I'll get the "Galatians" painted up, but so it goes! I figure I'll probably do maybe one "base" of them at a time just to keep my sanity; not sure one can really paint that much plaid in a timely manner  lol
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project -- (2/22 Hellenised Galatian command)
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2021, 02:17:34 AM »
So it's been a while, but I finally have a minor update!

I put together this command group from a few different ranges. I've already talked about the handsome bearded fellow in this thread, so go to the previous page to hear about him :D I'm imagining these lads as a group of Hellenised Galatians in Seleucid service, with Greek/Macedonian gear but still having a Celtic sort of look.

The guy with the shield on the ground: Victrix Theban body, Aventine head, flowing locks of green stuff.

Guy holding shield: Foundry (Theban?) sculpt, green stuff snazzy mustache and hair extensions :D I didn't like the bowl-cut-ish hairdo he had, but once I added a handlebar mustache and longer hair, he looks kinda Vercingetorix-y :D

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project - (2/22 Hellenised Galatian command group)
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2021, 02:58:06 AM »
That turquoise and blue helmet looks very smart.👍

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2021, 05:13:28 AM »
Nice conversions on those Galatians. Adding cloaks is a chore. I reckon they mostly had them, but for my old figures I go with a mix of styles. Plus it gives the kind of variety we all like.  As you probably know, Relic has some Hellenized Galatians/Celts now. Aventine has a bunch of armored ones with spears.

https://www.relicminiatures.com/product/hellenized-celts/

https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/53_166/products_id/838

https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/53_166/products_id/837

These are cool and can be added to other units- or the spearmen can be a chieftain's guard.

Good work on your Successor army- it isn't ever really done, believe me.
JJonas

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2021, 08:04:04 AM »
Loving them, I was expecting crazy cloak wearers. Great work on the hairstyles and handlebar moustaches!

Cheers
Matt

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »
Thanks, guys. Yeah I was definitely going for a "Galatians wearing Greek-style stuff" look, so they're basically just normal Successor style troops, but with long hair and facial hair :D

Codeticker: yeah I'm happy with how the hemet turned out. It's basically just Vallejo Deep Sky Blue with Army Painter Soft Tone wash over the top!

Jeff: yeah I did know of those Relic and Aventine sets-- great stuff! I'm sure I'll pick them up eventually! The "general" in the group there is actually a Relic figure I'd had kicking around for a while.

As for cloaks: yeah I thought about giving the other two guys cloaks, but eventually just decided against it, partially to make the commander stand out more, but also because sculpting cloaks drives me nuts  lol

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »
Very nice figures again and some good ideas on how to model them.
I can't sculpt and so I tend to take the easy option and use the cloaks that come with the plastic Fireforge medieval figures. My Medievals don't wear them and all that's usually required is a little of the Green Stuff to cover gaps/ joins. 

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2021, 12:25:22 PM »
I actually find cloaks easier than all the snazzy conversions you have been showing off! Maybe crumpled up wrinkly cloth just suits my sculpting style?  ???

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2021, 11:18:04 PM »
I actually find cloaks easier than all the snazzy conversions you have been showing off! Maybe crumpled up wrinkly cloth just suits my sculpting style?  ???
To each his own  ;D For beards and hair I literally just take a tiny blob of green stuff and poke at it with an exacto knife until it's roughly the proper shape! Capes on the other hand ... *Shudder*

Maybe because they take up so much more space I'm just extra worried about them looking rubbish?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2021, 06:03:12 AM »
It's basically just Vallejo Deep Sky Blue with Army Painter Soft Tone wash over the top
That's a great combo- I will have to give it a shot.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2021, 06:36:12 AM »
Lots to love in this thread, great work! You have every right to be proud of the eyes on that Spartan fellow. Great concept and execution on the Galatians.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2021, 04:31:04 PM »
That's a great combo- I will have to give it a shot.

I kind of stole the idea from this image ( https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QrrXB3 ) of a "hypaspist officer" by the artist Joan Francesc Oliveras Pallerols, who is working on a brilliant series of images based on Alexander and his conquests. Great stuff, and I'm sure I'll be "borrowing" more of their ideas in the future :D

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2021, 03:29:15 PM »
Nearing "completion" on a "Bactrian" phalanx that I've been picking away at for months and months; I really like that feeling when you know you're CLOSE and see the light at the end of the tunnel!  :D Not the best painting (never is!), but I like the varied look, and I think it'll pass the "arm's length test".

Also will be trying a different basing method this time. Details to follow.......

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
Re: My Macedonian/Successors project - (3/6 -- Bactrian Phalanx completed)
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2021, 11:48:22 PM »
Finally finished up a phalanx I'd been chipping away at for forever the other day.

I'm imagining these lads as a "Bactrian" phalanx. The figures themselves are a mix of older RAFM and (I think) Ral Partha 25mm tinies. Some of them look a little dodgy (and the painting didn't help them!), but since I painted each one uniquely I think it's a little less noticeable.

I made all the shield transfers and printed them myself  :o Some worked better than others, but I liked the idea of tying them all together with a "theme", without making them all look exactly the same. Late in the game I also modified the top of the standard with the horrible leopard you see here  lol Originally it was an eagle-type creature, but I figured it would look slightly less weird if I made it roughly cat-shaped to go with the "theme".

In addition to the greenstuff kitty, I added a number of beards and mustaches here and there. Sarissas are mostly after-market metal pokers, but I mixed in a few Victrix/Warlord plastics here and there for variation, and carved a few out of broom bristles just to see if it would work (it does, but can be a little tedious).

I also tried out a few different new (to me) basing techniques as well: 1) mixing wall filler with PVA, paint, and sand --looks alright, but a bit hard to apply if you've already glued down the figures; 2) I also tried just putting down #1 and squishing the figures down into it, which took less time, but didn't feel like they quite "sealed" in... I kind of expect those guys to pop back off eventually; 3) PVA mixed with paint and sand --works, but it shrinks down a lot -which is what I was trying to avoid to begin with- and the sediment isn't all that visible, which kind of defeats the purpose. Eventually I just did the last two squares in my "normal" technique 4) put down glue, sprinkle sand over it, then paint after dry. This takes the least time, and to my eye, looks the best when painted, anyway. But now I know!

Now, onto some horse archers!!  8)