Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685082
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Iron Duke Miniatures Basotho Wars range  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Iron Duke Miniatures Basotho Wars range
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »
Fiction?

Non-fiction, about the 9th Xhosa war (1877-88), but it is by Keith Smith, not Harry Smith. Harry Smith was somebody entirely else, as I'm sure juergen knows, and it was almost certainly just a typo.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »
Yes ..sorry ,,thanx Plynkes.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
Yes ..sorry ,,thanx Plynkes.

Good job I figured that out then  :)

I also ordered The Wedding Feast War- both these books ought to be a fine complement to Cape Warriors Volume I and II which I already own.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:59:41 AM by Atheling »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
The last one mentioned covers a different period to the Perry book. Gaming-wise an outing for your Zulu War Brits, rather than the Horse and Musket guys of the earlier period. But yes, definitely compliments it in the sense that the Perry brothers have not covered this later period.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »
The last one mentioned covers a different period to the Perry book. Gaming-wise an outing for your Zulu War Brits, rather than the Horse and Musket guys of the earlier period. But yes, definitely compliments it in the sense that the Perry brothers have not covered this later period.

If I hadn't read Cape Wars I would have been completely oblivious, except for a vague notion, that there had been a series of conflicts in South Africa prior to the Zulu War. Crazy really.....

It wasn't mentioned at school, we had a pretty good history department too, I have never seen a documentary that mentions any of the wars? Is it just me?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 03:31:36 PM »
Well to be fair, if school history covered every time the Victorians got into a fight with someone far away there wouldn't be an awful lot of room for anything else. It is pretty specialized stuff, and you've got to fit the Tudors and the Industrial Revolution in somewhere, I guess.  :)

Honestly, when I was at school many years ago, we didn't cover any wars at all. Not even WW2. Everything I know about military history I have found out for myself, out of being interested in it.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 03:57:59 PM »
Well to be fair, if school history covered every time the Victorians got into a fight with someone far away there wouldn't be an awful lot of room for anything else. It is pretty specialized stuff, and you've got to fit the Tudors and the Industrial Revolution in somewhere, I guess.  :)

Honestly, when I was at school many years ago, we didn't cover any wars at all. Not even WW2. Everything I know about military history I have found out for myself, out of being interested in it.

Blimey! We got the political and social history of Britain since roughly 1800 and the political and military history from the 1905 revolution in Russia to where were were in the Cold War. Stuff the the ECW, Glorious Revolution etc were all touched upon briefly too. I think I was lucky in that I had two excellent teachers and their enthusiasm was not only contagious but captivating, at least for me.

I found out much later that one was a Marxist and one very Conservative but I can honestly say that their views were neither hinted upon nor promulgated during the classes, which is outstanding teaching when it comes down to it. Not so with some of the other humanities. 

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »
I loved history but the only thing, literally the only thing we were taught was the Industrial revolution, nothing on political or miliatary history in any way at all.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 07:48:50 AM »
I loved history but the only thing, literally the only thing we were taught was the Industrial revolution, nothing on political or miliatary history in any way at all.

Wow! I'd better not go any further as we're drifting wildly off topic. Though, there is a lot more to say on this topic maybe on another thread  ;) :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:41:22 AM by Atheling »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 07:51:06 AM »
I came away with the mistaken belief that the industrial revolution was largely based around some female whirling dervish who rejoiced in the name of Jenny. I might not have been paying close attention to that bit.  :)

Actually most of my history teachers were pretty good, even the WW2 veteran, with probably un-diagnosed PTSD,who would disturbingly stand with his back to the class, chipping off unwanted accretions to the blackboard with a cut down and obviously quite sharp SMLE bayonet for whole lessons at a time.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 08:55:51 AM »
Slightly out of context for the Basotho Wars range but; I don't know about the rest of you but this has to be some of the finest work that Paul Hicks has done.... don't forget the detail.....

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »
Mr Hicks just gets better and better  :o
This is the reason this range is going to be a belter not just because it’s something new and interesting but also the superb quality of his sculpting  ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 10:45:38 AM »
Mr Hicks just gets better and better  :o
This is the reason this range is going to be a belter not just because it’s something new and interesting but also the superb quality of his sculpting  ;D

Yep, I have rarely seen such depth in terms of detail on a historical range of miniatures.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 11:08:13 AM »
Agh and theres the cliff egde again.